Building a T20 attack

Suhaan

I'd have loved to see Rahul Chahar in these T20s to be frank.  A full on Trundler attack is also not needed.  Every team has at least one out n out quick.  NZ have Ferguson,  Eng has Wood Archer,  Aus are a lot similar to us but even they gave chance to Meredith. 

Saini can bowl 145+ in four overs I reckon with same intensity.   Replace Axar with Saini & Chahal with Rahul Chahar Asap. 

Bumrah is sure short. So need atleast 3 more fast bowlers. I ll keep an eye on Tyagi in the upcoming IPL, he was impressive in the execution of Yorkers last IPL. Saini should be backed to only bowl fast. 

Nagarkoti has been extremely disappointing, he I thought would play for India by now when I saw him in U19 three years back but he has not been able to stay fit & relevant. 

In so far as spinners are concerned, R Chahar seems ready for international cricket. Mind you Chahal is not bad but he is not good enough to sustain only on the basis of his bowling. 

I think only one of Chahar, Shardul & Bhuvi should ideally be in the XI. Even two of them brings sameness to the bowling. Ideally if Saini was fit, he should have been groomed for death bowling in this series. Bhuvi in his present form shouldn't make the squad, let alone 11. Deepak Chahar is a better option than Bhuvi for bowling upfront.

Edited by SK_IH

I have always wanted us to develop the next gen of 140 k + pacers for both red ball and white ball cricket.

Create a pool of 

Saini

Prasidh

Avesh

Mavi

Tyagi

Arun should get all of them to practice with Team India if there are no A-team series or domestic cricket going on.

Make them practice white ball skills.

Make them practice just 4 types of balls 

1. The top of off stump directed quick ball.

2. Quick yorker directed at the base of off stump

3. Just 1 type of slower ball  ( master it rather than try too many types of slower balls and have issues with execution )

4. The quick bouncer directed at the back shoulder.

Keep things simple and focus on execution.

Avesh has taken 13 wickets in SMAT 2021.

Prasidh has picked 14 wickets in VHT 2021. 

So, they are performing in domestic cricket too in recent times.

Bowling composition can be

2 Fast bowlers

1 Swing Bowler who can bat too and come at 8

1 Wrist spinner

1 Spinner who can bat at 7 

Pick the fast bowlers who are looking the best.

We can have a good quality quick bowling partner ready for Bumrah in a few months' time.

Edited by express bowling

The white ball does not move much and the pitches are usually very flat for white ball cricket.

Which is why pacers need to have both pace and accuracy as well as good yorkers,  slower balls and bouncers.

Medium pacers as well as inaccurate quick bowlers without variations, will be found out soon and taken to the cleaners. 

We are filling our T20I team with short swing bowler ... Chahar, Bhuvi, Natarajan, Shardul.

Having one good swing bowler is desirable. 

But why have 4 short swing bowlers in the squad ????

This shows complete lack of understanding of the game by our selectors and TM.

Bumrah (wickettaker, death bowler)

Natarajan (Lefty, death bowler)

Shardul (New Ball, #8 bat)

Chakravarthy ( wickettaker, new ball)

Pandya(5th bowler, middleovers)

Tewatia (6th bowler, middleovers, #7 bat)

This should be our best attack going into WT20. It suits our strength the best with what we have: gives us variety and a couple of wickettakers to rotate into the middle overs and depth in batting.

Edited by Vickydev

Fast bowlers can vary their lengths as they have the pace.

But line has to be spot on for white ball cricket.

Young fast bowlers must be made to bowl an off stump line every ball.  Any kind of width and the ball will be slashed for 4 or 6. Any leg stump ball can be lifted for 6.

Any erring in line must result in some sort of a punishment

And we will see much more accurate fast bowlers.

2 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Chakravarthy ( wickettaker, middle overs)

This should be our best attack going into WT20. It suits our strength the best with what we have: gives us variety and a couple of wickettakers in the middle overs and depth in batting.

The idea is good but how are we going to include all these players in the 11??

Young Kartik Tyagi has a lot of potential. He can bowl 145 k+, is tall and bouncy and has the aggressive attitude needed by quick bowlers.

Tyagi has a very good, quick and accurate yorker and good quick bouncer.

If he can master 1 type of slower ball and bowl a tighter line with his good length balls, he can be a top quality white ball bowler.

Needs to be developed with intent.

6 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Chakravarthy ( wickettaker, middle overs)

This should be our best attack going into WT20. It suits our strength the best with what we have: gives us variety and a couple of wickettakers in the middle overs and depth in batting.

I like this composition too ... but the main thing is to have backups ready for each position ... and be ready to play 2 quick bowlers if Natarajan is injured or out of form.

Shardul is the best option for the swing bowler slot now ... as he has developed good slower balls and improved his hitting too.

In T20 one can't have all three of Chahar, Bhuvi and Shardul . In flat deck Shardul is better suited because of his hitting prowess and slower balls while Chahar provides bit more accuracy. Depending on conditions, one of them can play. The other bowlers in the pool should be Bumrah, Saini, Natarajan and Tyagi.

Bhuvi, Siraj, Shami, Umesh need not be in the squad let alone playing 11. Siraj should focus on Test cricket only while Bhuvi can be an option for ODI s and away Test series in England. Shami again should be meant for Tests and ODI

Ironic that we became world t20 champions in 2007 when IPL wasn't even conceptualised... And since then despite having the best T20 league in the world and an endless supply chain of readymade t20 talent..we haven't been able to crack the code in T20is... Someone has to be accountable for this

Edited by dilliboy
2 hours ago, sarchasm said:

What I find doubly strange is that IPL is probably the tournament with sharpest analysis and data driven approach to cricket. But somehow, all this knowhow is not being put to use for the national team.

Kohli who has been an epic failure leading an IPL side in history of IPL is leading the national team,this is cringe level strange:((

1 hour ago, chewy said:

Prasidh has been most impressive, should have played T20s and ODIs for India by now.

Funny thing is that Prasidh averages 20 in FCC and 23 in List A with an ER of 5.2. So, he is performing in domestic cricket too.

A 6'3" fast bowler who gets steep bounce at 140 k to 150 k in T20s atleast, has a good bouncer and yorker, can seam and swing the ball too ... is not good enough to be a net bowler in India. Amazing isn't it !!