Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, wants to bring IPL to Lord's

sage

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/mayor-of-london-sadiq-khan-wants-to-bring-ipl-to-lord-s-1258359

Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, wants to bring the IPL to the city, with Surrey said to be in preliminary talks with authorities in India to explore the possibility.

London hosts NFL (American football) and MLB (US baseball) games regularly but Khan, who is seeking re-election as mayor, believes IPL matches in the city - and eventually around the country - could tap into a more diverse audience than the sport does currently.

"Surrey are speaking to teams in India and colleagues in the BCCI and IPL," Khan said at a cricket club in southwest London. "The first step will be friendlies and exhibition matches. We want to get them going, maybe even this year if we make progress as we are doing with the pandemic. It has to be Covid-safe, of course. We have to bang the drum for our city, and sport is one way to do this."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/british-asian-cup-2009-404475/middlesex-vs-rajasthan-royals-404477/full-scorecard

Rajasthan Royals did play a game against Middlesex in 2009 at Lord's in the British Asian Cup but that remains the only game played by an IPL franchise in the UK. Rajasthan do have a number of England players as well as an academy in Surrey.

"This is part of my plan to build a better London after the pandemic," Khan said. "I know Londoners are hungry to see more of the likes of Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Rishabh Pant and, with two of the world's greatest cricket grounds in Lord's and The Kia Oval, London is ideally placed to host IPL matches. I know we can see our capital confirmed as the undisputed sporting capital of the world."

12 hours ago, Serpico said:

Maybe they can also send their football club teams to play a few matches in mumbai

Haven't Manchester United come to India a few times before? 

Edited by sage