OPINION | How PM Modi Defied Petty Oppn Politics to Turn Around India's Vaccine Policy

Trichromatic

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

Clear as daylight and this has caused the States to try a fools errand, after all these are career politicians we are talking about. I was listening into the health minister from TN first time in my life I see a straight guy in pants and shirts and not some ceremonial dhoti and the guy was flat. He said "No one responded to the bid other states drew a blank too but we will keep trying to release an other tender, all this talk about central govt influence in this is absurd, we are also taking with center to try and secure more doses and are working to open a vaccine manufacturing plant in chengalput'. Looks like maharastra, Haryana( reddys  sputnik) and Odisa got bids. Rest did not. May be TN Andhra telangana Kerala karnataka should send a combined bid, try their luck together. 

There won't be any bidding anymore. States learnt their lesson. Vaccination is now back to under central govt 

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Here people are talking about Gujarat being favoured while Gujarat High court pulls up Guj govt for slow vaccination.

https://scroll.in/latest/995913/coronavirus-you-have-a-five-year-plan-hc-pulls-up-gujarat-on-vaccination-pace-of-18-45-age-group

Your point is? Gujarat is not Favored with number of vaccines provided to it in contrast to its rest positivity and population? Do you base it on any evidence on offer? If not I suggest you shut the * up. 

16 hours ago, Khota said:

How do you call this as success when so many people have died.

Some of the dead could be because of the lack of preparation, but a lot of people would have died considering the way this virus is behaving . It is not a natural virus . 

Look at our population,the lack of basic civic sense and duty, the tendency to break rules where ever possible and mix it with lack of infrastructure to handle such a huge pandemic ......the deaths were waiting to happen. Sad but a fact . 

Now if we can minimize further damage , I would say considering out ground realities and circumstances,we would have done fine.

26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

There won't be any bidding anymore. States learnt their lesson. Vaccination is now back to under central govt 

When you have drama queens like Kejriwal and Mamta who are more interested in attention grabbing rather than real hard work ...this was bound to happen.

I dont think anyone here would give 70-80 on 100 to the Center government. May be 60 or about at most. There is lot that could have been done. Despite many measures, lot of people would have died but this whole pandemic has clearly exposed India's preparedness to handle such situations. We lack resources and planning at a bigger scale. We need some reforms where State and Center governments could bypass some red tapes to get the things done.

I expect in 5-6 years we will have reasonable amount of infrastructures, hospitals, ambulances, medical staffs and necessary equipment acquired. But until then we have to do away with whatever we have at hands. Expenditure on our health care will go up in coming years. We shouldn't rush to build substandard facilities but rather build with complete planning to handle various situations and of different volumes. 

6 hours ago, beetle said:

Some of the dead could be because of the lack of preparation, but a lot of people would have died considering the way this virus is behaving . It is not a natural virus . 

Look at our population,the lack of basic civic sense and duty, the tendency to break rules where ever possible and mix it with lack of infrastructure to handle such a huge pandemic ......the deaths were waiting to happen. Sad but a fact . 

Now if we can minimize further damage , I would say considering out ground realities and circumstances,we would have done fine.

First wave I will say they were successful.

They had ample time to prepare for the second wave when they knew it was bound to happen. Mass vaccination could have started in January and they failed. There is no sugarcoating it.

Free vaccination is step in the right direction.

6 hours ago, nevada said:

Yes, not at all a time for individual praise when pretty much everyone has a family member or more infected and loss of life in some cases. 

Pretty much every member of my family in Delhi had it. Two got critically sick but fortunate enough to find a bed in hospital.

This second wave was far from success. A miserable failure.

6 hours ago, beetle said:

When you have drama queens like Kejriwal and Mamta who are more interested in attention grabbing rather than real hard work ...this was bound to happen.

Kejriwal is far from a drama queen. He is a honest person. You can disagree with his politics but he is smarter than all of them combined.

At the same time not all of it is on BJP. Desis have a terrible habit of not using birth contrl and keeping their pecker in check. It is very difficult to help more than a billion plus people. It is a sad situation and everyone is suffering.

9 hours ago, beetle said:

True its a pandemic but its clear that when India should have prepared for second wave they were busy claiming victory , doing election campaigns , running elections, allowing mass religious gatherings and weddings and what not.  This is a collective responsibility yes but the responsibility stops at the top with Modi and his administration. 

9 hours ago, beetle said:

its not just kejri and mamta everywhere, its pathetic that so many states were forced to go into international market by themselves to secure vaccines. There should be a transparent test positivity/ population based vaccine sharing mechanism, not some old boys network where gujrar and rajastan get the most. 

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

its not just kejri and mamta everywhere, its pathetic that so many states were forced to go into international market by themselves to secure vaccines. There should be a transparent test positivity/ population based vaccine sharing mechanism, not some old boys network where gujrar and rajastan get the most. 

Forced to go by whom. They chose to go. Kejriwal publicly said that he should suffer due to incompetence of other states. If he can do a better job, he should be allowed to. 

4 hours ago, Khota said:

Pretty much every member of my family in Delhi had it. Two got critically sick but fortunate enough to find a bed in hospital.

This second wave was far from success. A miserable failure.

There was plenty of advance notice too. Maharashtra was flaring up with cases left and right for almost a month before the entire nation got affected. Patients from Maharashtra were flooding nearby states for treatment, spreading infections all over. IMO it is disrespectful towards the virus victims and their suffering families to celebrate false successes and lavish individual praise during this sombre time. I would love to hear what plans are in place for a wave 3 when it occurs. It will - even a most disciplined, advanced like Japan has seen a covid resurgence despite vaccination. Russia is seeing cases spike and so is Britain.