Your favorite cricketer

zen

List your favorite (not necessarily who you think is the best) cricketer from the ones that you have watched (can be from any format), one retired and one current, in the following categories (avoid repetition) ... You could copy and paste the below and fill in the names: 

Batsman

• Retired
  • Current

Bowler

• Retired
  • Current

WK

• Retired
  • Current 

AR

• Retired
  • Current

Captain

• Retired
  • Current 

With my interest in cricket on a decline (following the game since a long time), I do not have any serious favorites, but will give it a shot: 

Batsman

• Retired: Sehwag is the best bet for his high SR batting, Bradmanesque record against teams such as Pak, Ability to boss spin, and be a game changer. Sehwag's form gave Team Ind an edge. Even in ODIs, he was Ind's best batsman in the 2008-2011 period - Link
  • Current: No real favorite but will go with Pujara as he is among the last breed of test focused batsman ... considering his performances in two back to back series in Aus which Ind won, probably the most impactful test batsman for Ind since 1990 

Bowler

• Retired: Srinath ... I am used to Ind spinners from Raju, Joshi, Kumble to Ashwin, Jadeja & Axar create havoc on helpful pitches in Ind but when I saw Srinath, a genuine pace bowler, dismantle SA in a test at A'bad in 1996, I was a fan 
  • Current: I have not watched a lot of him but will go with Wagner for his ability to bowl short pitched stuff and keep the never say die spirit. He is in the last leg of his career  

WK

• Retired: Dhoni ... superb captain, batsman (at his peak) and WK 
  • Current: Pant ... brilliant batsman and his keeping should improve 

AR

• Retired: I have not watched Sobers so will go with Imran. Gave Pak two back to back titles in ODIs at major world events - 1989 Nehru Cup and 1992 WC. Drew a test series in WI in 1987-88, where he was the best bowler iirc. In WC 87 SF, it appeared as if he was taking Pak to victory before getting out trying to sweep ... Pak team appeared different under his captaincy 
  • Current: Sir Don Pandya ... Potentially, the most talented cricketer from Ind in the 21st century 

Captain

• Retired: Martin Crowe ... for brilliant performance both with the bat and as a captain in the 1992 WC. Was Man of the Series in it. Man of the series award was introduced in WC in 1992 
  • Current: Captain Morgan ... for turning things around for Eng post 2015. Created a cultural change to device a new approach for Eng in LOIs (w/ failures being accepted) ... One of my articles on Eng: Link
7 minutes ago, zen said:

Batsman

• Retired - Yuvraj Singh
  • Current - Rohit Sharma

Bowler

• Retired - Dale Steyn 
  • Current - Jasprit Bumrah

WK

• Retired - Adam Gilchrist
  • Current  - Pant

AR

• Retired - Kapil
  • Current - Jadeja

Batsman

• Retired- Lara & ABDV
  • Current- Kohli

Bowler

• Retired- Warne n Bond
  • Current- Cummins test , LOI- Archer 

WK

• Retired- gilly
  • Current - pant

AR

• Retired - flintoff n watson
  • Current- Russell

Captain

• Retired - Dhoni 
  • Current - Morgan
Edited by Ankit_sharma03

My current favourite cricketer is Pat Cummins, very relentless as a bowler and never seen him to go through motions in the middle of a hot day in a test match. 

I am still coming to terms with as to how did our batsmen handle him both the times in Australia and won both the series' 

good thread. Zen is fun when not talking about SDP. Pls keep it this way.

Batsman

• Retired - Kevin Pietersen
  • Current - Virat Kohli / Jos Buttler 

Bowler

• Retired - Dale Steyn
  • Current - Cummins

WK

• Retired - Boucher pure /Dhoni batting and keeping.
  • Current  - Saha pure keeping, Pant as a batting WK.

AR

• Retired - Kallis
  • Current - Hardick

Captain

• Retired - Graeme Smith 
  • Current - Rahane

I just love SA cricketers looks like. Dont know what - may the fact that they are the most stable in their exhibition of cricketing skill at the same time had remarkable peaks. 

Batsman

Retired - Sachin Tendulkar

Current - Virat Kohli

Fast Bowler

Retired - Shoaib Akhtar

Current - Ishant Sharma

Spinner 

Retired - Murali

Current - Ashwin

Wicketkeeper 

Retired - Gilchrist

Current - Gilchrist 2.0

Allrounder

Retired - Yuvraj Singh

Current - Ben Stokes

Captain

Retired - Ganguly

Current - Morgan

Batsman

• Retired: Dravid
  • Current: ABD(technically not retired as he will likely play WT20) 

Bowler

• Retired: Steyn
  • Current: Ishant

WK

• Retired: Dhoni
  • Current : Butler

AR

• Retired: Watson
  • Current: Jadeja

Captain

• Retired: Clarke(Tests) or Dhoni(LOIs)
  • Current:  None in particular. There's no really aggressive Test captain in the Clarke mold. Kohli by default, at least he supports fast bowling for India. 
5 hours ago, MechEng said:

My current favourite cricketer is Pat Cummins, very relentless as a bowler and never seen him to go through motions in the middle of a hot day in a test match. 

I am still coming to terms with as to how did our batsmen handle him both the times in Australia and won both the series' 

Cause he sucks vs left handed batsmen. Look at his average vs left handed batsmen. He is not better than bumrah. But yes he is on par and probably amongst the best in the world. 

Also he conserves himself in ipl by treating it like a paid holiday in order to focus on red ball cricket. 

Edited by Jay

Batsman

• Retired - Dravid
  • Current - ABD

Bowler

• Retired - Srinath
  • Current - Shami/Ashwin

WK

• Retired - Dhoni
  • Current - Pant

AR

• Retired - Heath Streak
  • Current - Jadeja

Captain

• Retired - Ganguly
  • Current - No one! 

Coach

• Retired - John Wright
  • Current - Ravi Shastri :beer:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Cause he sucks vs left handed batsmen. Look at his average vs left handed batsmen. He is not better than bumrah. But yes he is on par and probably amongst the best in the world. 

Also he conserves himself in ipl by treating it like a paid holiday in order to focus on red ball cricket. 

No way, he's definitely better than Bumrah. Cummins ended the recent series with 21 wickets in 4 tests whereas Bumrah managed 11 wickets in 3 tests. Bumrah has not been the same bowler after his injury.