Can we have a mock Auction at ICF?

Chakdephatte

Is it a good idea?   

4 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 0-10, how bad is this idea

I was thinking if we all can plan a mock auction ahead of the mega auction. We will be online on a predecided date and time. 10 people will be enough, each representing their favourite team, more than that will be a bonus. Either no one is allowed to be retained or those who are actually retained are allowed.

The only problem is, who will be the auctioneer and who has the time to list all the players.

Please don't ask why? 

Edited by Chakdephatte

Good idea, implementation is the question.

Are there websites that offer this already - dream XI etc? In the US, you can easily set up mock 'drafts' and auctions using yahoo sports espn and umpteen other free options for american fantasy sports.  

More than a decade ago, I set up a basic tournament-specific fantasy points league for cricket on ICF - ran it in a database using basic SQL and Varun helped scrape cricinfo scorecards using perl.  But nobody has time to setup a fully functioning auction software from scratch.  Gotta be available now I'd think.

Just now, zen said:

it can be fun if done properly including giving budget to each team, creating a process including turns to bid (no one should post out of turn), and appointing representative(s)

Turn to bid? I think everyone tries to bid higher than others.

Oh, may be you mean bidders of the same team can disagree. That is also a problem. We will have 10 people qt maximum, so one oerson can get one team.

1 minute ago, Chakdephatte said:

Turn to bid? I think everyone tries to bid higher than others.

Oh, may be you mean bidders of the same team can disagree. That is also a problem. We will have 10 people qt maximum, so one oerson can get one team.

That would work in off line auction ... Online bidders would need to bid in turn (including saying no bid in which case they are out) for e.g. 

Player A in auction ... turn established 

Opening price by bidder X say $100K

Next turn is of Y (not Z): no bid 

Z: $200K 

X: No bid 

Player A sold to Z for $200K

1 minute ago, zen said:

That would work in off line auction ... Online bidders would need to bid in turn (including saying no bid in which case they are out) for e.g. 

Player A in auction ... turn established 

Opening price by bidder X say $100K

Next turn is of Y (not Z): no bid 

Z: $200K 

X: No bid 

Player A sold to Z for $200K

Ok. If every poster can come up with his own idea, it will be possible. We should not let this thread die till then.

By the way, which teams are you going to auction for, my guess is Ahmedabad.