Tim Paine Quits As Australia Test Captain Over 'Sexting' Scandal

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/tim-paine-australia-ashes-test-captain-resignation-sexting-scandal-hobart-press-conference-bon/2021-11-19

A tearful Tim Paine resigned from the Australian Test captaincy today, just 19 days out from the beginning of the Ashes, after allegations emerged of improper conduct in 2017

Tim Paine has stood down as Test captain in a bombshell announcement that has thrown Australia's Ashes defence into chaos less than three weeks out from the series opener.

Paine announced his resignation at a tearful press conference in Hobart on Friday afternoon after details, first reported by News Corp, of an off-field scandal emerged.

Unless there is a sudden change of heart from the Australian cricket hierarchy, vice-captain Pat Cummins looks set to become the first fast bowler to captain the Test side in 65 years.

Pending approval from the Cricket Australia Board, Cummins will become the 47th man to captain Australia's Test team.

Paine stated that he is still "looking forward to a huge Ashes tour", indicating that he intends to continue in his role as the team's wicketkeeper, pending selection.

At a press conference at Blundstone Arena on Friday where Paine read out a prepared statement but did not take questions, the 36-year-old conceded a private text exchange between him and a former colleague, now made public, was unbecoming of his role.

While he did not breach Cricket Australia's code of conduct, a fact confirmed by a CA media release on Friday, Paine decided he would step down from the captaincy.

"It's an incredibly difficult decision, but the right one for me, my family, and cricket," said Paine,

"As a background on my decision, nearly four years ago, I was involved in a text exchange with a then-colleague. At the time, the exchange was the subject of a thorough CA Integrity Unit investigation, throughout which I fully participated in and openly participated in.

"That investigation and a Cricket Tasmania HR investigation at the same time found that there had been no breach of the Cricket Australia Code of Conduct.

"Although exonerated, I deeply regretted this incident at the time, and still do today. I spoke to my wife and family at the time and am enormously grateful for their forgiveness and support.

"We thought this incident was behind us and that I could focus entirely on the team, as I have done for the last three or four years.

"However, I recently became aware that this private text exchange was going to become public. On reflection, my actions in 2017 do not meet the standard of an Australian cricket captain, or the wider community.

"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and pain that I have caused to my wife, my family, and to the other party. I'm sorry for any damage that this does to the reputation of our sport.

"And I believe that it is the right decision for me to stand down as captain, effective immediately. I do not want this to become an unwelcome disruption to the team ahead of what is a huge Ashes series."

CA Chair Richard Freudenstein said the Board had accepted Paine's resignation.

"The Board has accepted Tim's resignation and will now work through a process with the National Selection Panel of identifying and appointing a new captain.

"While the Board acknowledges an investigation cleared Tim of any breach of the code of conduct regarding this matter some years ago, we respect his decision.

"Despite the mistake he made, Tim has been an exceptional leader since his appointment and the Board thanks him for his distinguished service.

"Tim will continue to be available for selection in the Test team through the Ashes summer."

Paine also apologised to Australian cricket fans for how "my past behaviour has impacted our game on the eve of the Ashes".

"I have loved my role as captain of the Australian cricket team. It's been the greatest privilege of my sporting life to lead the Australian men's Test team," he continued. "I'm grateful for the support of my teammates and proud of what we've been able to achieve together.

"To them, I ask for their understanding and forgiveness. For the disappointment I have caused to fans and the entire cricket community, I apologise.

"I've been blessed with a wonderful, loving and supportive family, and it breaks my heart to know how much I've let them down. They have always stood by me, been my most loyal fans, and I'm indebted to them for their support.

"I will remain a committed member of the Australian cricket team and look forward with anticipation to what is a huge Ashes tour."

Man what a hypocrite these White boards are.. Act holier then though on issues in Sub Continent when they themselves are highly immoral and dicks of the highest order.

Popcorn time for English Media now. They were under the pump from Aussie media with the Yorkshire scandal.

Good time for BCCI to consolidate further power in world cricket as these boards are run by a bunch of clowns.

2 minutes ago, poyzzplaidwell said:

CA knew about this since 2017. They created so much PR about elite honesty and some other ****... good blokes etc.

Hogwash!!!

The ball tampering scandal happened in 2018, AFTER this. But they still appointed this idiot as captain. Is he really the best they could find? CA has a history of hushing up misdeeds by their players, the most glaring being the silent fine on Warne and M. Waugh for accepting money from a bookie.

Oh just a few weeks ago, this guy was taking a strong stand over the plight of Afghan women and calling for boycott of Afghan Cricket and here he is now lol

https://sports.ndtv.com/icc-t20-world-cup-2021/tim-paine-says-teams-could-boycott-t20-world-cup-over-afghanistan-2536099

These Westerners act as moral guardians and saviours of the World  whose duty is to civilize the Brown masses but aren't exactly the perfectionists that they pretend to be.

5 minutes ago, nevada said:

The ball tampering scandal happened in 2018, AFTER this. But they still appointed this idiot as captain. Is he really the best they could find? CA has a history of hushing up misdeeds by their players, the most glaring being the silent fine on Warne and M. Waugh for accepting money from a bookie.

But they really went after Warner/Smith.  I think he was let go because this was a consensual interaction. From disciplinary perspective there is not much to read into it.  The reason he is quitting because this is going to be made public. He doesn't really have to quit. I don't think this is that big of a deal if it is consensual. Sure he shared his d*** p**. As long as the receiver doesn't have issue with that there is nothing Austrlaian cricket board can use against him.

From Reddit ...

Test captain Tim Paine has been investigated by Cricket Australia for sending a female co-worker a “dick pic” and string of lewd messages. It is expected he will announce his resignation from cricket’s top job at 2.30pm.

The wicketkeeper, who was promoted to the captaincy and lauded as the saviour of Australian cricket following the ball tampering scandal in South Africa, was questioned about the messages.

The full details of the messages, which were sent by Paine on the eve and morning of the first Ashes Test at the Gabba in 2017, have only recently surfaced. Some of the messages are too explicit to publish in full, however the exchange included Paine suggesting to the woman: “Will you want to taste my *** ?? F*** me, I’m seriously hard.”

In correspondence with cricket authorities in June 2018, the woman claimed she was offended by “Mr Paine’s sexually explicit, unwelcome and unsolicited photograph of his genitals in addition to the graphic sexual comments”.

It is understood Cricket Australia became aware of the messages after Paine, 36, was given the captaincy in March 2018, which is often referred to as the second biggest job in Australia outside the Prime Minister.

The messages, sent to the woman whom the Herald Sun has chosen not to name for legal reasons, included what was described in correspondence as a “dick pic”.

The woman was at the time a Cricket Tasmania employee, with whom Paine had interacted with while he was playing state cricket.

The woman has sent letters of complaint to Cricket Australia and Cricket Tasmania about the texts, which she received shortly before she resigned in 2017.

Paine was appointed the 46th Australian Test captain in March 2018 - four months after he sent the messages.

He took on the job from Steve Smith who stepped down for his part in the ball tampering scandal in South Africa, along with then vice-captain David Warner and batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Paine’s lewd messages were sent to the woman on November 22 and 23, 2017 - the eve and
morning of his return to the Australian Test team after seven years out of the side.

He and the woman had exchanged dozens of texts throughout that year.

But the correspondence became increasingly flirtatious between the woman and Paine, who has been married since 2016.

On November 22, 2017, after the woman joked about “partying like a rockstar”, Paine texted: “I like good girl (name removed). But this other one sounds interesting.”

“When I’m good I’m good. When I am bad I am brilliant,” she added, prompting Paine to ask: “Brilliantly bad??”

The following morning, just hours before Paine was due to take the field against England, the woman texted: “I will think naughty thoughts about you whilst we watch the TV.”

“I’m cracking! Ha ha. Naughty thoughts like what? I’m about to give something firm a pull…,” Paine responded.

The woman texted him back saying: “Ha, sorry I’m getting ready for work … it’s a big day for us kids.”

Then Paine texted: “Will you want to taste my ***?? F*** me, I’m seriously hard.”

In apparent reference to Paine’s wicket keeping duties later that day, the woman wrote in response: “I thought we were resting hands.”

Paine responded: “Can’t rest them when I’m this hard!! Need to ease the tension … Finish me off with those lips then (name deleted)”.
The text ended with a wink-face emoji.

Paine then sent what is described in correspondence as an unsolicited “dick pic”, before asking the woman: “Finish me off right now!!!”

The woman has claimed she was taken aback and found it offensive.

It’s understood complaints were made to the Australian Human Rights Commission regarding alleged sexual harassment in relation to the exchange.

Cricket Australia and Paine’s manager James Henderson were contacted for comment.

Edited by nitinbwj
4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

But they really went after Warner/Smith.  I think he was let go because this was a consensual interaction. From disciplinary perspective there is not much to read into it.  The reason he is quitting because this is going to be made public. He doesn't really have to quit. I don't think this is that big of a deal if it is consensual. Sure he shared his d*** p**. As long as the receiver doesn't have issue with that there is nothing Austrlaian cricket board can use against him.

Well the women is claiming that she was offended by Paine's behaviour. Case of sexually harassing Co-workers.

He's only being sorry now because he got caught, don't know what else he is doing behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, javier26 said:

Well the women is claiming that she was offended by Paine's behaviour. Case of sexually harassing Co-workers.

He's only being sorry now because he got caught, don't know what else he is doing behind the scenes.

Oh k i read a different report on fox au. She did complain then they investigated. Investigation says it is consensual

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/cricket-australia-2021-tim-paine-sexting-scandal-texts-latest-news-investigation-the-ashes-sacked-resigns/news-story/f0f04ffd8664c276552f36217f98ab3d

I

In a statement, Cricket Tasmania said: “As soon as Cricket Tasmania was made aware, it undertook an investigation that determined the interaction was consensual, private, occurred on the one occasion only, was between mature adults and was not repeated,” he said.

“Cricket Tasmania clearly does not condone this type of behaviour and addressed the matter directly with Tim Paine.

“However, because of the consensual nature of the actions it was determined that no further action was required or appropriate.”

48 minutes ago, Dery said:

What text exchange  ? :orderorder:

Tim Paine sexting text chat

[On the eve of first Ashes 2017-18 Test]

Tim: I like good girl (name removed). But this other one sounds interesting.

Woman: When I’m good I’m good. When I am bad I am brilliant.

Tim: Brilliant bad??

[On the morning of first Ashes 2017-18 Test]

Woman: I will think naughty thoughts about you whilst we watch the TV.

Tim: I’m cracking! Ha ha. Naughty thoughts like what? I’m about to give something firm a pull.

Woman: Ha, sorry I’m getting ready for work … it’s a big day for us kids.

Tim: Will you want to taste my ***?? F*** me, I’m seriously hard.

Woman: I thought we were resting hands.

Tim: Can’t rest them when I’m this hard!! Need to ease the tension … Finish me off with those lips then (name removed). [after sending an unsolicited dick pic] Finish me off right now!!!

1 hour ago, javier26 said:

Yup. "I am sorry" should be read as "I am sorry I got caught". "I will not repeat this" means "I will not repeat this mistake of getting caught".