AB DE Villiers announces retirement from all forms of Cricket

javier26

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Phenomenal cricketer really.

Many greater and legendary players will come and go after him but one thing is for sure that there won't be anyone like AB de Villiers.

Some truly special performances on top of my head :-

1. 44(297 balls) in a test match in Delhi and 33(220 balls) in a test match at Adelaide, both on Day 5.

2. Century while chasing 400 at Perth vs Australia in 2008 and the 91 and 123 vs Johnson on  treacherous pitches in 2014.

3. Double centuries in India and UAE and a 178 in England.

4. 31 ball 100 and 66 ball 162 in World Cup vs Windies in Sydney.

5. 70 ball 92 in a World Cup match vs Australia in 2007 and a 136* while chasing 330 vs Australia.

Some great knocks in IPL:-

1. de Villiers- Kohli centuries in a same game vs Gujarat Lions in 2016.

2. Smashing Steyn  for 24 runs at its peak while chasing 28 of 2 overs.

3. Memorable semi final knock vs Gujarat Lions in 2016

4. Then 133 vs Mumbai and a 100 vs CSk way back in 2008.

all that and the tribute still won't be complete without this

7 hours ago, asterix said:

Adios ABDV... Unfortunate for him that he ended up at :rcb: & under Kohli... Beautiful talent wasted away...

Seen him many time but I do recall , he checked and changed his shot three times during course of a single full pace delivery of Jofra Archer.  Off all bats I have watched my life.,  No bat in world has ever shown that he has so much time when facing a 140+ Delivery. I doubt I will ever see another.

Had Kohli not been in RCB, I am certain that overall performance of RCB would have had a singleware under Devil.

Edited by mishra
28 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Someone asked me a very fundamental question we ask right from childhood days: who's ur fav cricketer that's playing currently ? I didn't have an answer.

That's the gap AB left when he stopped playing international cricket in my opinion. 

Kids in My family were Devil fan when Kohli was at peak. You are absolutely correct. He is beyond National borders.

Edited by mishra
8 hours ago, kepler37b said:

This is called a dignified exit. He must have realized his limitation and quietly moved on. Compare that with our cricket stars, who play on and on like zombies, making a comedy out of themselves.

One poor half season and he decided to leave. Our nalayaks have been ruining season after season for their teams and continue to play without any shame.

1 hour ago, nevada said:

One poor half season and he decided to leave. Our nalayaks have been ruining season after season for their teams and continue to play without any shame.

Nalayaks are greedy idiots. Want to play and milk cricket for as much money as possible.

That is why i WANT a mandatory retirement by age 35 or so. No one is in disposable.

Edited by kepler37b
15 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Nalayaks are greedy idiots. Want to play and milk cricket for as much money as possible.

That is why i WANT a mandatory retirement by age 35 or so. No one is in disposable.

If a player is doing well, even 36-37 is an okay age to play. AB was in vintage form up to the first half of this IPL season, even prompting calls for his comeback to the SA side for the T20 WC. He declined, saying that he would usurping the spot of a deserving young player and that wouldn't be fair. Due to bad luck or whatever reason, he didn't win any championships but AB is a stand up guy and an honest man who never gave anything less than 100% for his team. The moment he felt he cannot give a full 100%, he stepped down. There is a reason he is a universally well liked player.

In a nutshell, this is ABDV:

Somewhat of an underachiever in Tests - with that talent (allied to real solid technique), he could and should have averaged around 53-54 (min).

ODI beast and ATG ODI batsman of the 21st century IMO - not Rat, not Babar (yes, he did choke in WCs, but that can be said for several other batters). To avg 50+ avg at an SR of nearly 100 was very impressive especially since some of his career did not overlap with the era of crazy-high scores.

Underachiever in T20 internationals, and one of the ATGs in T20 franchise cricket.

6 hours ago, Vijy said:

In a nutshell, this is ABDV:

Somewhat of an underachiever in Tests - with that talent (allied to real solid technique), he could and should have averaged around 53-54 (min).

ODI beast and ATG ODI batsman of the 21st century IMO - not Rat, not Babar (yes, he did choke in WCs, but that can be said for several other batters). To avg 50+ avg at an SR of nearly 100 was very impressive especially since some of his career did not overlap with the era of crazy-high scores.

Underachiever in T20 internationals, and one of the ATGs in T20 franchise cricket.

Dont disagree that he should have averaged more in test cricket, but he has scripted some great innings- two tons in 400+ fourth innings run chases, and epic blockathons to get draws vs India and Aus. Clutch knocks. He is a test ATG too I would say.