Starting Test 11 vs SA

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Shami, after he broke his hand in late 2020, is not the same bowler anymore.

He has become heavier and is bowling with less intensity, energy and pace.

While Saini is bowling like a Champion on this A-tour.

Shami has to get back to his old self.

We have to consider current ability and form. That should be the key 

Don't think they will drop Shami.  They are struggling to leave out a finished Ishant so leaving out Shami for a new pacer is not possible for Dravid & Kohli. 

If given a choice between Shami n Umesh I'll go with Umesh as he has the ability to pick wickets in bunch. 

Shami even at his best picks one or two wickets these days...  Largely goes unnoticed. 

What is the point of having a two match series in a alien condition like South Africa. Visiting team will not have any time to fight back or get acclimatized to the conditions. For me three matches are bare minimum. 5 tests is overkill but seems to be okay in England because you always have a chance of rain playing spoilsport in atleast 1 test. 4 tests hits all the right notes especially atleast in Australia, SA, Nzl. We have to wait till Sri Lanka pull their socks up to play anything more than two tests against them.

2 hours ago, Adamant said:

He was our best bowler in WTC  and bowled well in England too, so not sure how your point stands true

Shami bowled really well in the 1st innings of the WTC Final. But after that, he looked out of steam and energy. Bowled reasonably well only in the 2nd innings at Leeds after that.

I have probably watched 95% of the overs that Shami has bowled in test cricket. And he bowled like usual only in the WTC Final 1st innings. 

4 hours ago, gooner said:

What is the point of having a two match series in a alien condition like South Africa. Visiting team will not have any time to fight back or get acclimatized to the conditions. For me three matches are bare minimum. 5 tests is overkill but seems to be okay in England because you always have a chance of rain playing spoilsport in atleast 1 test. 4 tests hits all the right notes especially atleast in Australia, SA, Nzl. We have to wait till Sri Lanka pull their socks up to play anything more than two tests against them.

I thought it was a 3 test series?

4 hours ago, gooner said:

It's a 3 test series.

And I agree ... 4 test series are ideal against the bigger teams.

5 hours ago, gooner said:

I think we're playing 3 tests and 3 ODIs no? 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Shami bowled really well in the 1st innings of the WTC Final. But after that, he looked out of steam and energy. Bowled reasonably well only in the 2nd innings at Leeds after that.

I have probably watched 95% of the overs that Shami has bowled in test cricket. And he bowled like usual only in the WTC Final 1st innings. 

Shami at his peak fitness and rhythm is as good as anybody. But at this age we just have to hope for that to happen. Virat should use him in spurts. Shouldn't use him like how he uses Ishant.  Siraj is capable of longer spells.

32 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Shami at his peak fitness and rhythm is as good as anybody. But at this age we just have to hope for that to happen. Virat should use him in spurts. Shouldn't use him like how he uses Ishant.  Siraj is capable of longer spells.

We play 4 fast bowlers overseas.

So, we must use all of them in around 5 over spells. Will keep all of them fresh and bowl with energy.

35 minutes ago, afan said:

Rohit

Rahul

Mayank

Kohli

Iyer

Pant

Ashwin

Axar/Jadeja

Shami

Bumrah

Siraj

India has to play to their strength by adding the 2 spinners. Above line up is the best that I could think of

I don't think that is a good idea unless it is a dry wicket. Even with that Kookaburra will offer very little assistance to spinners.  Ultimately batting skills of spinners will decide their selection.

Thakur should play each and every game in SENA from now on unless he loses his form. Can't believe people are still not sold on him after what he did in Australia and England. 

Rahul

Rohit

Gill

Kohli

Jadeja

Mayank/Iyer

Pant

Thakur

Umesh 

Siraj

Bumrah

Umesh ahead of Shami for me as I feel the former is bowling at the best of his abilities in the past few months and shami is looking below par most of the time. 

Based on balancing youth and experience:

KL

Mayank 

Gill

Pujara 

Kohli 

Pant

Sundar

Axar or Thakur or anyone who can not only bowl but also bat a bit at #8 ... per conditions (have not looked at the venues)

Bumrah

Siraj 

Malik (wild card for pace ... usually India debuts pacers once they begin to lose their pace) or some in form pacer

PS Rohit is in good form but his purple patch, which is only making him competitive overseas, will not last long so would prefer to give younger openers a run in a rare overseas series in SENA in the current WTC cycle 

Edited by zen

The team will/should probably be like this - rewarding the spinners for their hard work in India.

Rohit - picks himself 

Rahul - what can you say... he is "the KL"

Pujara - experience

Kohli - picks himself

Rahane - experience and knowledge of conditions

Pant - picks himself

Jadeja - picks himself

Ashwin - experience and conditions 

Axar - need to reward performance in India

Ishant - Will get back in rhythm by the first test.

Bumrah - picks himself

12th Man - J Yadav - need to reward performance in India

Not my ideal team by far - but it is what it is. Be prepared for the worst I guess. Would like to see Markram, Bavuma types even Rassie/Faf/Quinton vs "Spin Trio". 

reserve pacemen/batsman   -  Shami/Agarwal/Gill

Siraj, Iyer, Shardul - distant choices

Saini, Prasidh - so distant need binoculars but useful in nets for Kohli/Pujara/Rahane

Tyagi, Avesh etc - so so distant need telescope but useful in nets for see above.