Rohit Sharma appointed as captain in odis.

Nikola

30 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Rohit's a fantastic choice as captain. After all he has all the attributes of a great leader and inspiration:

i) Very hard working and takes fitness seriously 

ii) Made the most of all his talent and cricketing ability 

iii) Never puts personal score above team needs

iv) Very young and can build a legacy for years to come

v) Exceeds in tough conditions i.e. sharp turn and quick bowling 

Good to see BCCI bhabhus are really measured in their selections. 

1. He is definitely hard-working at least in the later part of his career he is very much so. No body succeeds without effort. 
What you say is true about the young Rohit sharma in pre-2013 era.

2. Unfortunately no. If he made most of all his talent, he would have so many laurels and be competing to become the greatest batsman of his time. If that be the case, BCCI would have been forced to make him captain long back.

3. He does put team ahead sometime and his personal milestones sometimes. Not a defence, but tell me who doesn't among all generations of Indian greats before him.
4. He is made captian at least 2 years late. 2019 exit was the correct time point. Sure, BCCI babus can be blamed for this unnecessary delay.

5. Yes, he did score well in quite a few tough conditions like sharp turn or quick bowling conditions. He is not that good only against swing. Not sure why that should go against him becoming a captain.

Edited by sarcastic
33 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

1. He is definitely hard-working at least in the later part of his career he is very much so. No body succeeds without effort. 
What you say is true about the young Rohit sharma in pre-2013 era.

2. Unfortunately no. If he made most of all his talent, he would have so many laurels and be competing to become the greatest batsman of his time. If that be the case, BCCI would have been forced to make him captain long back.

3. He does put team ahead sometime and his personal milestones sometimes. Not a defence, but tell me who doesn't among all generations of Indian greats before him.
4. He is made captian at least 2 years late. 2019 exit was the correct time point. Sure, BCCI babus can be blamed for this unnecessary delay.

5. Yes, he did score well in quite a few tough conditions like sharp turn or quick bowling conditions. He is not that good only against swing. Not sure why that should go against him becoming a captain.

Agreed, all cricketers must be hard working to a degree but he's not like Ponting, Steve Waugh, Allan Border or Kohli. That's important when leading a team like India. I think Kohli is major Indian batsmen (after Dravid/Sehwag) who prioritised team needs ahead of personal milestones. I think genuine quick bowling he can struggle e.g. Mohammed Amir CT 2017 final and Shaheen Afridi. 

12 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Kohli has been sacked as ODI captain is a better headline.

Looks like BCCI waited till last moment for Kohli to announce he's stepping down. When he didn't, BCCI went ahead and named Rohit the captain.

One of the boldest decisions made in the history of our cricket. Countdown for a new test captain have also begun.

hopefully it comes sooner than later. and then hopefully our no 3-5 get booted as well

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Kohli has been sacked as ODI captain is a better headline.

Looks like BCCI waited till last moment for Kohli to announce he's stepping down. When he didn't, BCCI went ahead and named Rohit the captain.

One of the boldest decisions made in the history of our cricket. Countdown for a new test captain have also begun.

Kohli tried to be cute quitting only the T20 captaincy. He forced the selectors to oust him from the ODI post. I doubt any team in the world has a captain just for T20s. 

13 minutes ago, nevada said:

Kohli tried to be cute quitting only the T20 captaincy. He forced the selectors to oust him from the ODI post. I doubt any team in the world has a captain just for T20s. 

He knew he was going to be dropped from T20 captaincy so he played a cute game of I quit to save his honor. Unfortunately he didn't expect he would be thrown out of ODI captaincy as well. Poor egomaniac. :laugh1:

Just now, Pollack said:

He knew he was going to be dropped from T20 captaincy so he played a cute game of I quit to save his honor. Unfortunately he didn't expect he would be thrown out of ODI captaincy as well. Poor egomaniac. :laugh1:

next thing, he needs to get a nice hard kick from the test captaincy as well. if a player does not command a place in the XI - which Brat does not on current (not past) form - then they should not be playing, let alone serving as captain

41 minutes ago, Adamant said:

I have said this a thousand times on this forum.

Please also accept Kohli the captain has no bearing on India being no 2 test side. This has been clearly proved when he left India with the shame of 36 all out and its in his absence we had one of the historic wins in Test cricket. To be honest test cricket captaincy is much easier, you don't have to think spontaneously and can take your time. You always have chance to get into the game again even if you have made tactical mistakes which kohli makes a plenty. 

Just now, Pollack said:

Please also accept Kohli the captain has no bearing on India being no 2 test side. This has been clearly proved when he left India with the shame of 36 all out and its in his absence we had one of the historic wins in Test cricket. To be honest test cricket captaincy is much easier, you don't have to think spontaneously and can take your time. You always have chance to get into the game again even if you have made tactical mistakes which kohli makes a plenty. 

our performance on previous SA and Eng tour looks worse than it is because of several strategic and tactical blunders made by Rat and TM.

3 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Agreed, all cricketers must be hard working to a degree but he's not like Ponting, Steve Waugh, Allan Border or Kohli. That's important when leading a team like India. I think Kohli is major Indian batsmen (after Dravid/Sehwag) who prioritised team needs ahead of personal milestones. I think genuine quick bowling he can struggle e.g. Mohammed Amir CT 2017 final and Shaheen Afridi. 

Not sure if Kohli prioritized team needs ahead of personal milestones anymore than Sachin did for team India. Let us agree to disagree on that.

Agreed with rest of the post. Just reiterating my earlier point that the captain need not be the best batsman for a team. He could be but that is not the need. I am not disagreeing with Kohli the batsman being much greater/accomplished than Rohit the batsman (overall) but that does not mean that Kohli should captain the team despite not achieving anything as a captain for so many years. It is probably better for Kohli the batsman as he can focus on his batting. Ganguly and MSD were not the best batsmen of the teams they led (for most part) but considered very accomplished cricketers to captain team India.

Also, I think Rohit sharma's captaincy is more like Anil Kumble test captaincy in 2007-08. He is there to be a bridge to let another youngster get groomed and become the next captain.

54 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Kohli is the GOAT asian captain 

Rahane wasn't the captain when we won 2 test in England. 

Similarly when Rahane left after the Kanpur test and Kohli came back, the whole team looked way more inspired and beat the First ranked team by the highest margin ever. 

The Oval test should be etched in history, his leadership in that tets should inspire the future captains. 

Bowling a team out in a session and that too on the same flat pitch where bowlers batted like Gilchrist. 

Edited by Adamant
2 hours ago, Vijy said:

next thing, he needs to get a nice hard kick from the test captaincy as well. if a player does not command a place in the XI - which Brat does not on current (not past) form - then they should not be playing, let alone serving as captain

Totally! His batting form is no better than that of the under fire Rahane. Kohli is no Brearley to command a place for captaincy alone. 

2 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Not sure if Kohli prioritized team needs ahead of personal milestones anymore than Sachin did for team India. Let us agree to disagree on that.

Agreed with rest of the post. Just reiterating my earlier point that the captain need not be the best batsman for a team. He could be but that is not the need. I am not disagreeing with Kohli the batsman being much greater/accomplished than Rohit the batsman (overall) but that does not mean that Kohli should captain the team despite not achieving anything as a captain for so many years. 

What personal milestones Kohli can accomplish. Nothing other then bank balance. I am happy that horse is bolted and we can moove on