Ravi Ashwin Interview discussion thread

gooner

24 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Does Shastri see his own hypocrisy? 

In one interview Shastri claims he was hurt because the BCCI (or some people there) sidelined him in 2016 and didn’t let him become coach at the time.  He says and I quote:

“Yes, more than anything, it hurt because of the manner in which it was done. For all that I had contributed, just on one word from the BCCI, there were better ways to let me know “

In another interview he claims that his own public sidelining of Ashwin a few years later was tough love that helped the latter become a better bowler!  How about the disgraceful manner in which he did it in his turn?

Either own both, or neither, you FIGJAM. 

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/the-manner-of-my-exit-hurt-there-were-those-in-bcci-who-made-sure-i-dont-get-the-job-ravi-shastri/839332

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/glad-it-made-him-do-something-different-ravi-shastri-responds-to-ravichandran-ashwin-4587266.html

I thought i was the only one who noticed this irony lol 

16 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

Does Shastri see his own hypocrisy? 

In one interview Shastri claims he was hurt because the BCCI (or some people there) sidelined him in 2016 and didn’t let him become coach at the time.  He says and I quote:

“Yes, more than anything, it hurt because of the manner in which it was done. For all that I had contributed, just on one word from the BCCI, there were better ways to let me know “

In another interview he claims that his own public sidelining of Ashwin a few years later was tough love that helped the latter become a better bowler!  How about the disgraceful manner in which he did it in his turn?

Either own both, or neither, you FIGJAM. 

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/the-manner-of-my-exit-hurt-there-were-those-in-bcci-who-made-sure-i-dont-get-the-job-ravi-shastri/839332

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/glad-it-made-him-do-something-different-ravi-shastri-responds-to-ravichandran-ashwin-4587266.html

most people are hypocrites deep down; it's just that shastri has been exposed more clearly.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:47 AM, Adamant said:

Then why were you against Kohli picking Jadeja in Eng.?
Ashwin and Jadeja are both equally good away from home especially if we consider their batting too.
We should stick with our four pacers unit in SENA as it is bringing success, we saw what happened in WTC when we went with two spinners.

I wasn't against Kohli picking Jadeja.

I was against Kohli not picking Ashwin.

I was an advocate of 3+2 combo in SENA since 2013 (and I believe you know my posts).

Even in Aus, the 3+2 combo worked for us in Melbourne and Sydney.

So I wasn't against Kohli going with the same combo in the WTC final (even tho so many other posters were).

The only caveat is....if I had known it would rain for all days and there was no chance of the pitch to ever get dry, then I would have gone with a 4+1 combo.

In fact, if you see the WTC match, another 100 runs and our spinners would have defended the total with ease. Ashwin looked really good before he was taken off and never to be brought on again.

As for the criticism of Kohli, there are 2 reasons why fans do it:

Reason 1 - Due to cricketing reasons being that your BEST spinner (who also happened to be your best bowler or atleast your second best bowler in WTC finals) deserves to play in the XI. If Kohli needed only one spinner, it should have been Ashwin and not Jaddu.

But Jaddu was picked.

Why?

Herein comes the next reason.

Reason 2 - The batting is weak. Jaddu helps with the batting better than Ashwin. So he gets picked. He was picked to save the trimurthis. This irked a lot of fans.

Personally I was in favour of 3+2 combo in the first few tests.

Afterwards looking at Jaddu bowl, I preferred Ashwin to play as a spinner with 4 pacers (with Pujara and Rahane dropped of course).

Pujara somehow redeemed himself (considering the mental champion he is) but Rahane was just hopeless.

As for the 4 pacer strategy, I get the merits and so do others.

It's HOW it was implemented and who were benched to make it happen that ticked off a lot of fans.

Edited by sensible-indian
23 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

The way he articulates things give us a clear picture. He is analyzing every little thing. He definitely has a role in the future with INdian cricket post retirement.  

11 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

The way he articulates things give us a clear picture. He is analyzing every little thing. He definitely has a role in the future with INdian cricket post retirement.  

being sensitive is okay but these revelations make it seem like he takes everything that gets said about him to heart which is quite strange for someone in the public eye, more so a cricketer. That's the way it comes across at least sometimes.

2 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

being sensitive is okay but these revelations make it seem like he takes everything that gets said about him to heart which is quite strange for someone in the public eye, more so a cricketer. That's the way it comes across at least sometimes.

Yes. He is ultra sensitive. This is a mental issue for him. He should take it in his stride.  I understand reacting to open criticism like  Jaddu did against Manju. It is a miracle he is able to overcome those thoughts and get ready to bounce back.