Jump to content
dilliboy

Which current Test cricketers would make into their nations all time XI?

Recommended Posts

Just a fun thread to see who will likely make it by the time their careers are over. My picks for each nation

 

India

  • Pant
  • Bumrah
  • Ashwin

 

Australia

  • Smith
  • Cummins

 

England

  • Root
  • Anderson

 

Pakistan

  • Babar

 

New Zealand

  • Williamson
  • Taylor
  • Boult

 

South Africa

  • Rabada

 

Bangladesh

  • Shakib
  • Mushfiqur
  • Mominul

 

West Indies, Sri Lanka - No

 

Edit: Added Anderson as well for England..no doubt he makes it into an All time English XI

 

 

 

 

Edited by dilliboy
Link to post

Solid list.

Rizwan from Pak is another guy. I don’t remember when they had a decent keeper-bat last time.

 

 

Australia: Lyon for being their best off spinner ever. Case can be made for Starc too. He is not far behind Mitch Johnson to be their greatest left arm bowler too.

 

Cant think of anyone else. I think you got it covered. Obviously there are potential future greats but I only picked the current stars who have had a start.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Solid list.

Rizwan from Pak is another guy. I don’t remember when they had a decent keeper-bat last time.

 

 

Australia: Lyon for being their best off spinner ever. Case can be made for Starc too. He is not far behind Mitch Johnson to be their greatest left arm bowler too.

 

Cant think of anyone else. I think you got it covered. Obviously there are potential future greats but I only picked the current stars who have had a start.

Rizwan is a good shout.....need to see how his Test career progresses before making any judgments

 

Lyon is Australia's best spinner post Warne but I won't pick more than one spinner in an Australian all time XI. Warne is first choice and Bill O'Reilly second

Edited by dilliboy
Link to post
3 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

Do you think Kohli makes it into an Indian all time XI?

I think he does

 

6 slots for bowlers + allrounders + keeper

 

openers fixed: Sehwag, Sunny 

 

no.4 fixed: Sachin

 

so either he has to bat at 3 or 5

 

3 he is competing against Dravid, Pujara and some names from the past who I don’t think will be in the discussion. 
 

5 he is competing against Ganguly, Laxman etc.

 

I think he will be in the discussion. I wouldn’t pick him over Dravid but would definitely consider him as an option if paired against Ganguly or Laxman even though he won’t be an obvious pick.

 

 

Link to post
13 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

Just a fun thread to see who will likely make it by the time their careers are over. My picks for each nation

 

India

  • Pant
  • Bumrah
  • Ashwin

 

Australia

  • Smith
  • Cummins

 

England

  • Root

 

Pakistan

  • Babar

 

New Zealand

  • Williamson
  • Taylor
  • Boult

 

South Africa

  • Rabada

 

Bangladesh

  • Shakib
  • Mushfiqur
  • Mominul

 

West Indies, Sri Lanka - None

 

 

 

 

India: Pant, Bumrah, Jadeja (better AR package than Ashwin), and possibly Kohli

Aus: Smith, Cummins

Eng: none (Root is a modern great, but Eng's 150-yr test cricket history has lots of ATG players, albeit from very different eras)

Pak: Rizwan (no way Babar qualifies ahead of 50+ avg batters)

NZ: Williamson, Taylor, and potentially Conway+Boult (my pace attack would be Cowie, Hadlee, Bond, and Cairns + Vettori)

SA: none (Rabada is good, but I would not have him ahead of Proctor, Donald, Steyn + Pollock (as AR))

Bangladesh: Shakib, Mushfiqur, Mominul and Abu Jayed [because All-time XI is weak]

West Indies: none [too many ATGs in XI, so even Holder would not make it]

Sri Lanka: none [Chandimal is a good pick for keeper if Sanga does not keep; Lakmal could be 2nd pacer]

Link to post
6 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rahane . Our over seas specialist :)

Add Pujara who according to @zen might better than Dravid and than since @Adamant will make case for Kohli and @express bowling won’t consider anyone bowling even a tick under 140, we will stick to the same fast bowling line up. We consider Pant an ATG  anyways.

 

Then there is  Ashwin we will include for your sake :)

 

On second thoughts we might have played our ATG X1 in this series :woot:

Link to post
36 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

Who does he replace? I have Dravid, Sachin, Laxman and Mankad in my middle order 

Laxman is a brilliant batsman but not better than Kohli.  For all said and done, in this era of home bullies, Kohli's away record or SENA is still well ahead of all our batters.

 

Kohli walks in at 5 in all time India XI. Pant at 6 and then you can have Dev and Jadeja/Ashwin to follow. I do value longevity so I will have Kumble there at 9 followed by Shami and Bumrah. Zak can come in place of Shami for England or New Zealand conditions while rest everywhere I will have Shami.

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Laxman is a brilliant batsman but not better than Kohli.  For all said and done, in this era of home bullies, Kohli's away record or SENA is still well ahead of all our batters.

 

Kohli walks in at 5 in all time India XI. Pant at 6 and then you can have Dev and Jadeja/Ashwin to follow. I do value longevity so I will have Kumble there at 9 followed by Shami and Bumrah. Zak can come in place of Shami for England or New Zealand conditions while rest everywhere I will have Shami.

Only reason I won't pick Kohli at 5 is because he has hardly ever batted there...I won't want people to bat out of their positions as such. Plus Laxman has played clutch innings which no one else in India's history has.

 

Zaheer over Shami for me largely because he provides a left armer option too

Link to post

ATG 11s are more about recognition for contribution to cricket and creation of history where applicable (No series, no game, no inning, and no opposition have the same weightage. Taking career averages, most runs, most wkts, etc is pointless. One of the best ways to spot an amateur with stats is to see overall career stats listed)

 

Gavaskar - hero of Ind's series win in WI and for his great record as an opener. One of the rare openers who can play both pace and spin well 

Sehwag - for being Bradmanesque in Asia, scoring at an unbelievable SR to redefine opening in tests. Legend for his performances versus arch rivals Pak including in Pak. Some heroic performances in SL too. Has 2 300s, along with a 290 odd 

Pujara - for bringing India the glory by creating history to beat Aus in Aus for the first time since 1947/8 

Tendulkar - for serving Indian cricket for 200 tests 

X - many options including CK Naidu, Ind's first test captain; MK Pataudi, who played with an eye and was among Ind's finest captains; and so on. Could pick either CK or Pataudi as the captain 

Mankad - the hero and possibly a lone warrior of a minnow India. Tests like the Mankad test in Eng were named after him for his performances with both the bat and the ball. Scored 100s in Aus & Eng. Also held the highest individual test score record for India for a long time

Pant - Only Ind WK to score 100s in Eng, Aus, & SA

Kapil - for his contributions as an AR (there may be better bowlers but as a test AR, Kapil marches ahead) 

X - pace bowler ... many options ... no stand out pick 

X - pace bowler ... many options ... no stand out pick 

Chandra - Ind's most effective most conditions spinners, along with Gupte. Hero of first test wins in WI and Eng

Edited by zen
Link to post
12 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

Only reason I won't pick Kohli at 5 is because he has hardly ever batted there...I won't want people to bat out of their positions as such. Plus Laxman has played clutch innings which no one else in India's history has.

 

Zaheer over Shami for me largely because he provides a left armer option too

What is a difference in batting at no.4 and no 5? In all time lists, these small differences of batting position will happen.

 

I am aware of Laxman's exploits in Test Cricket. He has played some tremendous knocks but still we are talking about Kohli here, not some average players like Pujara or Rahane. If Kohli had a few lesser average and a few lesser hundreds, I would have picked VVS over him. But that is not the case here.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...