Shardul Thakur or Deepak Chahar - who would you play in LOI team as an all rounder?

play both in ODIs. bowling will be poor, but it's not as though any of our "strike" bowlers like ashwin, chahal, and bumrah (in ODIs post-2019) are doing well.

1. The template of ODI batting is such that scores of 320-330 and above are almost imperative, 2. the job of bowlers is to bowl 10 overs for not-so-many runs and wkts don't matter greatly, and 3. we have lost most of our wkt taking bowlers - boom is poor in ODIs in past 2 yrs, shami is too old, kuldeep is out, chahal has regressed, rest don't merit a mention.

based on this, I propose that the template should be to bat as deep as possible and have as many explosive players as possible. in other words, attempt to do what Eng (also NZ) did at their peak.

1. Shaw

2. Pant (wk)

3. Rohit (c) /Gill --> I believe that one consolidator is needed if early wkts fall. Moreover, Rohit/Gill should be able to score at 90 SR in theory.

4. Gaekwad/SKY --> Gaekwad has excellent game vs spin. moreover, at 4, he will have enough time to settle and go for big shots later

5. KLR/SKY --> choose wisely based on conditions

6. Sundar/Jaddu - don't be fooled by low avg and SR. Sundar can score at 100 SR in ODIs if given a run.

7. Hardik/V. Iyer - they should play only if they can function as 6th bowler. V. Iyer has not looked convincing, but 2 matches is too small sample size.

8. Thakur

9. D. Chahar

10. A. Patel

11. Bumrah/Siraj/Bishnoi/Prasidh --> choose as per conditions

batting till 10. lot of flexibility since many of these players can be moved up and down the order. bowling is s**t, but we lack wkt taking bowlers anyway, so might as well as try and bat deep.

18 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Think both are similar players. Both are swing bowlers who are handy bats as well. If you have to pick one, who would you pick in the team?

Both should play if you can keep 2 useless malnourished spinners why can't you keep 2 good lower down the order bat, if possible bring Harshal Patel as well. Go full eng mode as I trust these 3 guys to add valuable 50-60 lower down the order in no time in t20. That's the mantra why CSK keep winning inspite of having budhha and geriatric in playing xi.

Just now, raki05 said:

Both should play if you can keep 2 useless malnourished spinners why can't you keep 2 good lower down the order bat, if possible bring Harshal Patel as well. Go full eng mode as I trust these 3 guys to add valuable 50-60 lower down the order in no time in t20. That's the mantra why CSK keep winning inspite of having budhha and geriatric in playing xi.

that's what I also hypothesized earlier in the thread.

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Unless we have shami (peak shami) level bowler no bowler can get away with poor batting skill.  Bumrah is already a bowler whose batting is not reliable. We cannot have more of him.

Shami is a far better batsman than this chewtiya Yuzi.

Bumrah when he started batted at 11 and Yuzi batted at 10 but look at difference now. Bumrah is so much more assured than Yuzi.

Just now, Vijy said:

quite true, but bowling has become peripheral in ODIs and T20s. That's why I wrote earlier in the thread about moving away from focusing on bowlers in ODIs/T20s

still need atleast 3-4 strike bowlers.Shami is always ignored,there is Siraj,Bumrah and then Bishnoi etc

Just now, Banton said:

Both should be in playing 11 

Almost all bowlers are getting hit these days on flat rods loi pitches.

So India should aim for 350 while batting.

You need batting depth to score 350+ in odi.

Agreed, this is one possible way to go as I wrote in my earlier post on this thread.

Just now, Lord said:

still need atleast 3-4 strike bowlers.Shami is always ignored,there is Siraj,Bumrah and then Bishnoi etc

shami is not in the best of fitness and is being preserved for Tests - he is also old and not long-term solution. bumrah is poor in ODIs since last 2 yrs - go look up his horrifying and horrible numbers. Siraj and Bishnoi unproven.

If one scores 350 in most innings and can keep the opposition to 340, that is good enough. batting should be the theme going ahead in ODIs/T20s. relying on outmoded tactics and strategies will give us more 1st round losses.

Just now, Vijy said:

shami is not in the best of fitness and is being preserved for Tests - he is also old and not long-term solution. bumrah is poor in ODIs since last 2 yrs - go look up his horrifying and horrible numbers. Siraj and Bishnoi unproven.

If one scores 350 in most innings and can keep the opposition to 340, that is good enough. batting should be the theme going ahead in ODIs/T20s. relying on outmoded tactics and strategies will give us more 1st round losses.

I know about Bumrah. My point is Shami/Siraj partnering him will be different case.

With your approach,we have to start hitting from start which these guys don't do

1 minute ago, Pollack said:

Both are poor in their primary JOB that is bowling. :phehe: 

Honestly world's very best bowlers get tonked from time to time.  We don't have world's best bowler anyway. We have no Starc or KG or Boult.  Our best bowler is Bumrah who himself is not at his best. So until we accidentally run into a gun ODI bowler we have to give importance to batting ability of the bowler.  Also he has played only 6 matches. But picked 8 wickets.  His batting average is 70.50 at 102.17.  Decent fielder too.   Seeing the IPL i hardly find any decent bowler.