n T20s, it's a crime if you play a dot ball: Shreyas Iyer

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/sri-lanka-in-india/in-t20s-its-a-crime-if-you-play-a-dot-ball-shreyas-iyer/articleshow/89912453.cms

Well. He is going to be on the watch list :)  

About dots without looking, analyzing stats which Indian probably played more dots in T20s for India. Let us use a 10 year window. This is applicable for pure batsman/genuine all rounders.  My guess is it is Dhoni.

5 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

About dots without looking, analyzing stats which Indian probably played more dots in T20s for India. Let us use a 10 year window. This is applicable for pure batsman/genuine all rounders.  My guess is it is Dhoni.

I only checked for obvious suspects. Here is the Dot ball % since 2010-Jan-01

Dhoni: 31.7 %

Virat: 28 %

Rohit: 36.8 %

Hardik: 34.9 %  :popcorn:

KL : 31.9 %

Even though Dhoni and Virat are slow, they are active with strike rotation where as Rohit and Pandya would eat up dot balls and try to make it up with boundaries

7 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Even though Dhoni and Virat are slow, they are active with strike rotation where as Rohit and Pandya would eat up dot balls and try to make it up with boundaries

Yes. I also found that Pandya has been a culprit with dot balls. I was kinda surprised.

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

Hardik Pandya is not a finisher (hate that term in cricket). He has restricted zones of hitting, hence can have dot balls when he comes with only 2-3 overs to spare, bowlers usually wide outside off & he hits thin air. If bats in top 4, he will flourish, he is a better batsman than he is utilised. 

2 hours ago, Serpico said:

Wow thats incredible.

Thats why having a batting order of Hitman, KL and Kohli at 1,2 and 3 is dangerous for low striking rate.

I suspect that there SR get better with balls increasing, but if they get out after 2-3 overs, its a lot of balls consumed for very little.

5 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Wow thats incredible.

Thats why having a batting order of Hitman, KL and Kohli at 1,2 and 3 is dangerous for low striking rate.

I suspect that there SR get better with balls increasing, but if they get out after 2-3 overs, its a lot of balls consumed for very little.

Exactly. You need enterprising players. Not players who go at a predictable rate. Rohit nowadays has a ceiling so is Kohli.  KL Rahul at one point looked like overtaking them. Infact he looked better than both in T20 at one point. But he became a selfish phattu player after becoming PKXI captain.  There was a time he reached 50 in 4th over against Boult and some other top bowler. Look at him now. He struggles to reach by 15th over. 

lol its amazing how some players give big interviews the moment they do well while others just focus on game. Great PR for Iyer.

his dancing technique won't work in Aus big grounds and bouncy pitches

1 hour ago, Lord said:

Great PR for Iyer

He's been unfortunately groomed for Kaptaani after WC 23,but he will be already 30-31 and will be even more pathetic

Mere Kaptaani will make him immune to any criticism, pressure of getting kicked out for atleast 5 years,he will screw us in that period 

Hardik Pandya is not a finisher (hate that term in cricket). He has restricted zones of hitting, hence can have dot balls when he comes with only 2-3 overs to spare, bowlers usually wide outside off & he hits thin air. If bats in top 4, he will flourish, he is a better batsman than he is utilised. 

Sir “DOT” Pandya !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

He's been unfortunately groomed for Kaptaani after WC 23,but he will be already 30-31 and will be even more pathetic

Mere Kaptaani will make him immune to any criticism, pressure of getting kicked out for atleast 5 years,he will screw us in that period 

Pant should be captain. I hope he wins atleast one of next 2 IPLs to stake his claim

1 hour ago, Lord said:

lol its amazing how some players give big interviews the moment they do well while others just focus on game. Great PR for Iyer.

his dancing technique won't work in Aus big grounds and bouncy pitches

Iyer is a high S/R player even in his FC stats..  Yes he has trouble against hard length but in World Tournaments our batsman mostly have struggled on fuller lengths or getting bogged down or taking on spin.  Case in point Santner in WC 2019 or even in recent WT20 vs both Sodhi & Santner.  They are the ones who won Kiwis those games. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
1 minute ago, Lone Wolf said:

Iyer is a high S/R player even in his FC stats..  Yes he has trouble against hard length but in World Tournaments our batsman mostly have struggled on fuller lengths or getting bogged down or taking on spin.  Case in point Santner in WC 2019 or even in recent WT20 vs both Sodhi & Santner.  They are the ones who won Kiwis those games. 

Spin worked because conditions favoured in last 2 WCs (India and UAE)

Against swing even he struggles. 

in WC19 Santner just feeded of early start given by Henry and Boult.

In Aus handling pace and bounce will be key. Along with large boundaries

Even though Iyer is a type of batsman that can be found out in bouncy conditions, I like his attitude towards t20 cricket. Yes its a crime if you take too many dots. Yuvraj was gone when the first delivery he faced in t20s was a defensive stroke not even looking for a nudge for a single. As great as a player he was, his last few innings was unwatchable as was Dhoni and Virats