Is Ind vs Pak really the biggest draw in cricket?

R!TTER

Is it   

17 members have voted

1. 1. all about India then?

So I was looking at some bold claims on reddit or PP about the Ind vs Pak games being the highlight of any major tournament & that sponsors pay extra(?) money just for that!

As far as I understand the ad rates for that game are pretty much the same, unless perhaps it's a SF or final.

So where did this rumor or basically castle in the air originate from? There's no straight answer to that but my best guess is broadcasters, ICC & maybe even PCB.

For reference these are some of the numbers I could find about previous (high profile) matches involving India, the 2011 final was still the most viewed even after 4 years at the next WC ~

With about 288 million viewers, the ICC World Cup 2015 match between India and Pakistan on February 15 was the second-most viewed match in cricketing history, according to TAM data. So far, the highest number of viewers has been recorded by the final match of the 2011 World Cup, played between India and Sri Lanka (340 million viewers).

https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-pak-game-second-most-watched-cricket-match-ever-on-television-115022700004_1.html

So basically Indians will watch anything involving India & the bigger the game, like KO, the more eyeballs you'll have!

Edited by R!TTER

That's all in Pakistani mind they forcibly try to make it an iconic games and try to stick it on us. Reality is India is so big and we have so many vellas that any game which India play would always be jam packed bloody we fill up stadium even in Paytm trophy against bd and Afg. Pakistani should understand that Indian broadcasting deal have no compulsion to play with Pakistani. Where as Pakistani broadcasting deal reduced to half if India font play them .

21 minutes ago, raki05 said:

That's all in Pakistani mind they forcibly try to make it an iconic games and try to stick it on us. Reality is India is so big and we have so many vellas that any game which India play would always be jam packed bloody we fill up stadium even in Paytm trophy against bd and Afg. Pakistani should understand that Indian broadcasting deal have no compulsion to play with Pakistani. Where as Pakistani broadcasting deal reduced to half if India font play them .

Correct.

Its why I always support my brothers on here, when they say they dont need to play Pakistan.

4 hours ago, Serpico said:

Well if the only match that can cross the group stage match with pak is the world cup final, then it is pretty big deal isn't it?

It was 4 years back, 2011 vs 2015 WC, you're telling me the viewership didn't grow that much in this time?

3 hours ago, Number said:

A lot of non cricket watchers or casual cricket watchers watch it with interest. That adds to viewership. 

I follow people with various sort of interests on twitter, when India Pakistan game is on most of the tweets on TL are about the game.

Yeah that's true, my mom rarely watches cricket but wouldn't miss a ball in Ind vs Pak match 

For me it is kind of big deal...hence I watched cricket after several years only in last asia cup...and after that I am going to watch any cricket match only tomorrow. I do not want any bilateral series with them but any WC match is a must watch for me...i am sorry for that, but can't help it. 

It isn't TBH,

Its an important match in WC journey, and that's all. So does the matches against SA, Aus, NZ, Eng, SL etc.

Outside of that, as India and Pakistan don't play with each other due to non cricketing reasons, I don't care a damn about Pakistan or their cricket.

India has moved on and ideally Pak should also, but their constant sense of validation don't allow them to, as this over hyped rivalry is the only way to keep their cricketing finances alive.

For me personally, a test series in SA, Australia, NZ or English conditions generates more interest than playing with Pakistan.