Loving Hardik Pandya's captaincy!

zen

Coming back to the topic, what a change in player's performances much like we saw in GT. Below Axar Patel commenting on his captain: 

Axar Patel | Player of the Series: Feel happier when the team benefits from my batting (when compared to bowling). Didn't do anything different for this series, just that the captain gave me a lot of confidence in the dugout. He tells me to play freely and tells me that he is there to protect me. We do a lot of planning during team meetings but sometimes things do go wrong and I just focus on doing my plans properly.

3 hours ago, Tibarn said:

It will be interesting when the senior players come back or if they actually are retired from the format. If they come back, the team will go back to playing conservative cricket during the PP.

Powerplay scores

1st T20 : Ind  41/2    RR 6.83

2nd T20 : Ind 39/4    RR 6.50 (chasing 200+)

3rd T20 : Ind  53/2    RR 8.83 (only tripathi scoring fast)

India has played same conservative in PP and even beyond and exploded later. Same template oldies used to follow. Ofcourse except SKY who always play positive cricket even around oldies. Tripathi only got chance due to injury to Samson and he is the one who looked positive from ball 1 in both the matches he played.

Edited by Pollack

The Don of Indian cricket :dance: 

Liked: 

* His backing of players esp. Axar 

* Playing Tripathi at 3, who was included in the squad based on his recommendation 

* Mavi too appears like an improved bowler (another of his calls where he asked for an extra pace bowler), helped Ind win a game 

* Arshdeep is said to have adjusted his run up to avoid no balls (though could have done it on his own initiative) 

* Umran showing improvement 

* Hooda, who was moved to #6,  helping India win a game 

Most importantly the fighting spirit shown in all 3 games, where the team defended the lowest total at Wankhede, competed well in the 2nd game after losing early wkts chasing a big total mainly coz of no balls (SL was bundled out for 137 when it chased a big total in the last T20), and of course the onslaught in the 3rd T20

A good start to 2023!!

Edited by zen
17 hours ago, Pollack said:

Powerplay scores

1st T20 : Ind  41/2    RR 6.83

2nd T20 : Ind 39/4    RR 6.50 (chasing 200+)

3rd T20 : Ind  53/2    RR 8.83 (only tripathi scoring fast)

India has played same conservative in PP and even beyond and exploded later. Same template oldies used to follow. Ofcourse except SKY who always play positive cricket even around oldies. Tripathi only got chance due to injury to Samson and he is the one who looked positive from ball 1 in both the matches he played.

So no change so far...

Considering Gill/Sanju generally play slower, the onus is on Kishan to really give the team a fast start. 

5 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

So no change so far...

Considering Gill/Sanju generally play slower, the onus is on Kishan to really give the team a fast start. 

and he is quite hit-or-miss (mostly miss). perhaps it's better to have SKY play 20 overs like buttler as opener

11 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

So no change so far...

Those stats are like suggesting that  Eng does not play aggressively based on its performances against Ire, SL, or Pak! (And suggesting Stokes played slowly in the final unlike Hales and Buttler in the semi final). 

Wankhede was a low scoring game. In the 2nd, Ind lost wkts chasing a big total. In the 3rd one, it did well batting first (only Gill played the steady role). 

Many of the batsmen are also in the process of settling down being in and out of the T20 team (Gill, Tripathi, & Mavi made their debut). It is not a “deliberate” play like India did batting first on a good batting pitch at Adelaide versus England. 

Edited by zen
13 minutes ago, zen said:

Those stats are like suggesting that  Eng does not play aggressively based on its performances against Ire, SL, or Pak! (And suggesting Stokes played slowly in the final unlike Hales and Buttler in the semi final). 

Wankhede was a low scoring game. In the 2nd, Ind lost wkts chasing a big total . In the 3rd one, it did well batting first (only Gill played the steady role). 

Many of the batsmen are also in the process of settling down. It is not a deliberate play like India did batting first on a good batting pitch at Adelaide versus England. 

Yes, looking at the 2nd T20, losing 4 wickets in the first 6 overs is a recipe for a slow powerplay. 

A 3 game sample size for his captaincy is too small to make any conclusions negative or positive, at least for me.  He has until the next WT20 before I make up my mind.  

Edited by Tibarn
16 minutes ago, Vijy said:

and he is quite hit-or-miss (mostly miss). perhaps it's better to have SKY play 20 overs like buttler as opener

I personally was always hoping to see Shaw + Pant open together in T20s. I felt that Pant was thrust into the Dhoni-role just because he was a keeper. 

A 1-2-3 of Shaw-Pant-Sky would be ideal, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I personally was always hoping to see Shaw + Pant open together in T20s. I felt that Pant was thrust into the Dhoni-role just because he was a keeper. 

A 1-2-3 of Shaw-Pant-Sky would be ideal, IMO.

pant has not cracked the T20 game yet. even in IPL, his game has gone backward after 2 good initial seasons. and shaw is very liable to get out, much like kishan.

that's why I think our best T20 bat (SKY) should play from the outset, i.e., as opener.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

cant do much as a captain when your designated death bowler concedes 27 in the 20th over. 

as if he himself did well lol

took new ball ahead of pure bowlers and conceded 33 in 3. Then 21 off 20 and threw it away with a slog.

As for Arshdeep, he also conceded only 2 in 18th over and took out Conway. Evens out.