Is this innings by Gill one of the best by an Indian?

Apart from that one innings from Kapil Dev which none of us watched live, I don't remember any innings where a single batsman scored that many with second highest score being 34. He was unfazed by what was going on on the other end. Quality knock under pressure.

Edited by Chakdephatte
2 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

Let me give some contenders-

Jadeja in '19 semi final

Sachin 175 against Australia

Sachin twin desert storm innings

Kohli 133* against SL in Commonwealth

Yuvraj 100 against WI after we were 40/6

Kaif 87 and Yuvraj in natwest final

Sachin's desert storm is favourite for me, all the other inns were superb and of quality under challenging circumstances. But something about that desert storm was very special, twin hundreds back to back in Sharjah (where we struggle historically) and that too against Australia was unheard off.

only Odis. My top 7

tendulkar 98 against pak 2003

sourav ganguly 124 independence cup final 1997 Dhaka chasing 315 world record score that too in 47 overs  ( one of the most underrated innings. Final of Best of 3 final that too against pakistan in dhaka for independence cup which india gave them. If it would have happened today with social media we know what it would be)

Kaif and Yuvraj Natwest Final Lords ( even here ganguly and sehwag gave a blistering start)

Tendulkar Commonwealth bank tri series final 2008 ( 117 and 91) To me these 2 are much better than sharjah where the ground is like a matchbox. The two cbw series finals were in sydney and brisbane

yusuf pathans unbelievable innings of 105 chasing 250 .. India were 60/5 then 119/8 when he started the carnage in Centurion 2010 ofi series just before the wc 2011.  He was thumping steyn and morkel for fun. India finished at 234 all out in 40 overs and at one stage needed 32 off 90 balls with 2 wickets in hand when he got out. That match sealed his place for wc 2011 and the series sealed munaf patels place as well..

Virat kohli 183 off 148 balls chasing 330 against pakistan in asia cup ( tendulkar 100 100 cup)

Yem ess dee wc final 2011..

8 hours ago, neel roy said:

only Odis. My top 7

sourav ganguly 124 independence cup final 1997 Dhaka chasing 315 world record score that too in 47 overs  ( one of the most underrated innings. Final of Best of 3 final that too against pakistan in dhaka for independence cup which india gave them. If it would have happened today with social media we know what it would be)

Kaif and Yuvraj Natwest Final Lords ( even here ganguly and sehwag gave a blistering start)

Tendulkar Commonwealth bank tri series final 2008 ( 117 and 91) To me these 2 are much better than sharjah where the ground is like a matchbox. The two cbw series finals were in sydney and brisbane

yusuf pathans unbelievable innings of 105 chasing 250 .. India were 60/5 then 119/8 when he started the carnage in Centurion 2010 ofi series just before the wc 2011.  He was thumping steyn and morkel for fun. India finished at 234 all out in 40 overs and at one stage needed 32 off 90 balls with 2 wickets in hand when he got out. That match sealed his place for wc 2011 and the series sealed munaf patels place as well..

Virat kohli 183 off 148 balls chasing 330 against pakistan in asia cup ( tendulkar 100 100 cup)

That Yusuf's inns is still fresh in my mind...  It was the series decider against a Top SA side in their home.  Couldn't sleep after that heart breaking loss.  Yusuf had almost pulled off a miracle outta nowhere.  We had never won a ODi series in SA at that time. 

I rate Kohli's 183 vs peak Chucking Ajmal & Hafeez  very high as well in Asia Cup. 

19 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Sachin's desert storm is favourite for me, all the other inns were superb and of quality under challenging circumstances. But something about that desert storm was very special, twin hundreds back to back in Sharjah (where we struggle historically) and that too against Australia was unheard off.

Desert Storm was all about one man carrying the weight of an entire nation entirely on his shoulders to first qualify for a triangular tournament final and secondly to win the game.

In effect it was a "knockout" Semi Final for India. I dont recall many Indian batsmen delivering big time in a "Final".

This will be controversial to say for some, but for me Pant at the GABBA is the other greatest innings by an Indian batsmen.

At least in the last 20-30 years I am talking about. I have no idea about Gavaskar but Im very confident some of his innings in the Carribean when the Windies were at their absolute peak in Test Cricket, would rate among Pant and SRT.

For me to be classified as one of the greatest innings by an Indian, you need to consider the opponent and the stakes of the game. SRT won the qualification status for India in Sharjah, Pant won us the Test Series at the GABBA in Australia.

I cant separate Pant and SRT.

Everyone knows I am huge fanboy of Pant but my love for SRT runs deep. He carried the entire Indian batting on his 16 year old shoulders for many many years. While SRT went searching for that hundred 100, he at least retired with dignity in tact.

@express bowling@Vijy I want to know what you guys think of my comments. Be critical if you have to of me, I respect you guys a lot.

10 hours ago, neel roy said:

only Odis. My top 7

Wasnt this the first time ever India won an ODI Tri series in Australia vs Australia in 2008?

20 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

Apart from that one innings from Kapil Dev which none of us watched live, I don't remember any innings where a single batsman scored that many with second highest score being 34. He was unfazed by what was going on on the other end. Quality knock under pressure.

Its brutal to say but at the end of the day Kapil scored those runs against a minnow.

Admittedly that same minnow did beat Australia in 83 I think.