England's absence robs World Test Championship final of 'Bazball' buzz

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/englands-absence-robs-world-test-championship-final-of-bazball-buzz/amp_articleshow/98111410.cms

Eng have one 10 out of their 11 last tests - very strong results indeed - adopting the so called Bazball approach. 

One cannot say this was home series bullying. They clean swept Pakistan in Pakistan using this approach. Granted Pak is a poor test side - still it shows they have achieved in different conditions with this approach.

Would be very interesting to see how they take on Aussies in the Ashes summer this year. 

Australia have not won a test series in England since 2001.

They would be hurting from the mauling in India but perhaps coming off a high - winning the WTC against our chokers as a precursor to the Ashes.

Needless  to say, should we play our best 11 , on our shores against us - England would get their asses handed to them in  pretty short tests with the Bazball approach.

Bazball's fate will be decided in Ashes.  I am sure if they lose playing this way they would ditch the philosophy. 

Although I don't see Australia winning it. 

England look too strong &,  Talented at the moment & once Bairstow comes back it will even thrilling experience. 

England needs to find some decent finger spinners to trouble India.

Bazball can work in India to a extent but u also need bowling attack as well. 

Jimmy won't tour.  Wood Archer won't do much on turners. 

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

One ashes tour to australia & one tour to India will sort everything out.

A team that can win everywhere except two places is still a very good team. If Steve Waugh's team which is supposed to be the GOAT team couldn't win in India, bazball failing here shouldn't be considered that shocking 

1 minute ago, Serpico said:

A team that can win everywhere except two places is still a very good team. If Steve Waugh's team which is supposed to be the GOAT team couldn't win in India, bazball failing here shouldn't be considered that shocking 

With the right team India should be able to beat England in England. Last time Rohit's absence probably hurt us a bit. India had them on the mat on day 4. We imploded and also Bumrah's novice captaincy was inadequate. India went straight from IPL to  meet England who had just hammered NZ. Inspite of that we scored faster than them. We took a lead. We just had to put up a decent score on day 4.

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

With the right team India should be able to beat England in England. Last time Rohit's absence probably hurt us a bit. India had them on the mat on day 4. We imploded and also Bumrah's novice captaincy was inadequate. India went straight from IPL to  meet England who had just hammered NZ. Inspite of that we scored faster than them. We took a lead. We just had to put up a decent score on day 4.

Okay but I didn't talk about that 

1 minute ago, Serpico said:

Okay but I didn't talk about that 

Teams don't have the ability to handle the bazball on relatively good batting friendly wickets. It is easy to hit away runs. But taking 20 wickets where there bazball works. For instance on absolute road England set a gettable total. Pakistan was so close to target and collapsed against Wood. When you take on their bowling like they take on your bowling that is when things get interesting. Pant precisely did that. Unfortunately apart from Blundell, Mitchell not many had this ability. Look at Latham, Williamson who play like bradman against us. Then they go missing against England repeatedly.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Bazball's fate will be decided in Ashes.  I am sure if they lose playing this way they would ditch the philosophy. 

Why? They were completely crap before "Bazball", even if they lose to Australia, they are a much better team for it.  And it's incredibly exciting to watch, the draw ain't happening. Long may it continue, regardless of the results. 

Edited by Geoff Boycott

WTC is consistent performances over a 2 year cycle. There is a reason for the same. England have done well in the last 11 Tests but that does not mean all their losses before that can be ignored. Consistency over a period is what is needed for reaching WTC finals and not just 1 good year. India's only bad series over the 2 year cycle was the tour of SA which they lost 2-1. For Australia it has been this tour to India and the home series against India. For England it has been 3 bad series. One in Australia, One in India and their home series vs India as well which was drawn. The two series they lost. So that is a lot of games which they have lost over this cycle. Just because their last 11 Tests have produced great results and their approach is exciting does not mean they deserve to be in the finals. I am sure if they play the same way for another 2 years consistently and win everything they will be in the finals in 2025.

4 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/englands-absence-robs-world-test-championship-final-of-bazball-buzz/amp_articleshow/98111410.cms

Eng have one 10 out of their 11 last tests - very strong results indeed - adopting the so called Bazball approach. 

One cannot say this was home series bullying. They clean swept Pakistan in Pakistan using this approach. Granted Pak is a poor test side - still it shows they have achieved in different conditions with this approach.

Would be very interesting to see how they take on Aussies in the Ashes summer this year. 

Australia have not won a test series in England since 2001.

They would be hurting from the mauling in India but perhaps coming off a high - winning the WTC against our chokers as a precursor to the Ashes.

Needless  to say, should we play our best 11 , on our shores against us - England would get their asses handed to them in  pretty short tests with the Bazball approach.

Bazball won in South Africa as well, don't forget 

Hell with England, only thing I enjoy is India winning.

England look exciting to some, however the harsh reality is that they have completely lost their confidence in their defensive technique, they are using this gung ho approach to hide this deficiency. They tried every opening batsmen in county cricket but they failed so there last gamble was to try this approach, eventually they will get found out.

India has batsmen with proper techniques, they can use both approaches if required.

Some of the innings played by Pant and Rohit have been like this, it not a new approach, Virender Sehwag played many innings like this in the past.

If India really wanted they can field a top 6 like the following, similar objective would be achieved:

Rohit

Shaw

Gill

Kohli

SKY

Pant (WK)

I can say with confidence the top 6 above is better than anything England will produce in the next 100 years.

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

England look too strong &,  Talented at the moment & once Bairstow comes back it will even thrilling experience. 

England needs to find some decent finger spinners to trouble India.

Bazball can work in India to a extent but u also need bowling attack as well. 

Jimmy won't tour.  Wood Archer won't do much on turners. 

England will lose the ashes. Oz will want to win back some pride. I have a good feeling bazzball will be exposed. 

What bazzball anyway

Pant has been doing it for ages.

1 minute ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

England look exciting to some, however the harsh reality is that they have completely lost their confidence in their defensive technique, they are using this gung ho approach to hide this deficiency. They tried every opening batsmen in county cricket but they failed so there last gamble was to try this approach, eventually they will get found out.

India has batsmen with proper techniques, they can use both approaches if required.

Some of the innings played by Pant and Rohit have been like this, it not a new approach, Virender Sehwag played many innings like this in the past.

If India really wanted they can field a top 6 like the following, similar objective would be achieved:

Rohit

Shaw

Gill

Kohli

SKY

Pant (WK)

I can say with confidence the top 6 above is better than anything England will produce in the next 100 years.

Sky isn't test class. Coolie is washed up.

Rest I agree with. Replace with sragraz paridar and sundar then it's over for bazzball

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Teams don't have the ability to handle the bazball on relatively good batting friendly wickets. It is easy to hit away runs. But taking 20 wickets where there bazball works. For instance on absolute road England set a gettable total. Pakistan was so close to target and collapsed against Wood. When you take on their bowling like they take on your bowling that is when things get interesting. Pant precisely did that. Unfortunately apart from Blundell, Mitchell not many had this ability. Look at Latham, Williamson who play like bradman against us. Then they go missing against England repeatedly.

P lay like Bradman only in nz and that too only vs bumrah. Latham is bumrahs nemesis. 

Siraj owns them though.

5 minutes ago, speedracer said:

Sky isn't test class. Coolie is washed up.

Rest I agree with. Replace with sragraz paridar and sundar then it's over for bazzball

Yes, I am of course talking about Kohli in peak form, also SKY only played 1 match.

SKY has a higher ceiling than some of the current English batsmen being played.

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Rohit

Shaw

Gill

Kohli

SKY

Pant (WK)

^ This basically.  Good analysis, couldn't have said it better myself.