Pant potentially out for 1-2 years

zen

On 8/18/2023 at 10:11 PM, gakgupta said:

He is not moving his legs comfortably ...that a huge concern

Exactly, its a huge sign clinically that he still has issues and they are significant.

Lack of feet movement is telling. However, one thing in Pant's favour is that he never moved his feet much to begin with when striking the ball well.

14 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Exactly, its a huge sign clinically that he still has issues and they are significant.

Lack of feet movement is telling. However, one thing in Pant's favour is that he never moved his feet much to begin with when striking the ball well.

Could the lack of feet movement be psychological as well..even thiugh he has done rehab and all…one may still feel more cautious to move that body part with freedom initially…as he plays more and develops some confidence..it could come back..

6 hours ago, sarchasm said:

SO, any news if he'll feature in first class matches soon? Was hoping he might be fit for the saffer tour.

Zero chance he will be for the SA tour.

Until he can play multiple matches in a row as a starting point he wont be considered.

I have always consistently said on here he wont play till the middle stages of 2024 at least, if ever again.

19 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

No need to hurry at all. He should come back stronger than before, which he can, given modern medical and rehab technologies.

The issue with Pant is that he is heavily reliant on his knees to wicket keep and I think thats no longer going to be a viable option initially at least.

Even with modern technology, ACL takes 12-24 months to fully recover from.

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He still should shed upper body weight as much as possible. He should be shredded. It will help his knee in good stead. 

He is genetically thick,add to that being inactive due to major injury he has amassed more fat in the body

Before injury he wasn't this thick,the more he plays the more he will be toned

14 hours ago, sarchasm said:

He's moving well enough, frankly.

Only actual game time would tell us if his knee can handle the keeping load. I think he's ready for domestic matches but it might be that the people looking after him take a more conservative approach and ease him into the matches on a very gradual basis.

That would rule him out for the saffa tour but still might be available for the 5 match series against ENg. At least 2-3 tests.

Can play as a batsman alone.

Want Pant to play as a batsman only for his first few comeback matches, whenever that is.

He is a match winner with the bat, especially in test matches, and warrants a place as a pure batter ahead of many fancy names who choke.

Keeping puts a lot of pressure on the knees. What is the need to put extra pressure on those precious knees for the next 1 year  ??

11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Want Pant to play as a batsman only for his first few comeback matches, whenever that is.

He is a match winner with the bat, especially in test matches, and warrants a place as a pure batter ahead of many fancy names who choke.

Keeping puts a lot of pressure on the knees. What is the need to put extra pressure on those precious knees for the next 1 year  ??

This is 100% correct.

Most on here are not familiar with the regularity of ACL injuries in contact sports like AFL, Gridiron, much lesser extent in EPL. However, one of the biggest precursors to re-injuring the reconstructed ACL, is when you twist and turn at speed. Eliminating his wicket keeping would be a good place to start till he has given the injury a further 12-24 months to heal fully.

I am still very skeptical that he will play for India in a full time capacity next year. He may play some games here and there, but I dont think his comeback will be as quick as some in here think. Im thinking probably 2025. I think he will struggle with the pressure and strain of recovering as well as the need to score runs.

He will probably play IPL 2024 as it is not international cricket and will be great if he can slowly build form and confidence in a lower league.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:13 AM, Suhaan said:

Should not play longer formats directly, specially if he is going to keep.

Better to take it slow and start with 20 over domestic tournaments first.

It's tough that he has to start all over again, but it's necessary for his long term career. 

If Pant returns to international cricket it should be first via test matches, the slow nature of it, without the need for fast running for quick singles will be important for him.

I do hold  fear him re-injuring his ACL, if he comes back too quickly.

20 hours ago, sarchasm said:

EDIT: I think Pant was showing he was a match winner with the bat in ODI's too. Just the perfect busy batsman in the middle overs who could accelerate at will.

yes, since 2019 WC, IIRC he had an avg of 42-43 and a SR of >110. very good numbers for a keeper-batsman