IPL Indian power hitting watch

maniac

We focus too much on fast bowlers and even spinners etc. don’t think it’s that much of a problem as we seem to have enough pool to put 2 decent bowling attack sets.

however the power hitting ability of Indians especially at the death is zilch.

I see Indian middle order batsmen rotating strike to the foreign power hitter  to do his job.

There is a serious dearth here that needs to be addressed.

not a single middle order Indian bat can take on good bowling to the cleaners.

there might be a one off but overall this is the biggest issue for Indian cricketer in the LOI format.

Tilak Verma looks like an all round batsman

Can hit,stay, play the situation,but Im very much certain he too would be compromised like Pant and Pandya by notorious 'play safe play for not outs'gang in Indian cricket

No hope left for the betterment of Indian cricket in near future for they are cricket illiterate ,they are so so old school for this new super rapid cricket era

Parag is worth checking out.   Axar/Jadeja/Sundar are not power hitters in traditional sense. They just swing hard occasionally it connects and goes for six. All our six hitters are top order hitters. We have to convert top order into lower order. I still think Rohit down the order can be more potent like he was in the ODI game against BD where he batted 9 or 10. 

modern power hitters shouldnt just only be power hitter..he also needs to be able to play the 360 degree shots..

if you are just plain power hitter..any bowler on top of his death bowling skill may still be able to contain you..however if you can play 360 shots..it gives you more options to score..even agsin good death bowlers..

hence people like SKY, Jitesh are more impactful for me..even Tripathi could do well..

even Dhruv Jurel today showed glimpses of what 360 degree options can do..

I would like to see moer an dmore Indian batsmen get inspired by SKY

Edited by Need4Speed

Rohit Sharma should have become number 4 batsman , he has big shots.Let Kohli and Pant open, SKY number 3 then Rohit. This would have been great lineup with Pant giving fast starts to the team. 

Dravid the coach has no innovation.

India has convert top order player to do the finishing roles. Last decade , there have been very few quality batsmen forget hitters produced by the system.

Edited by putrevus

Sky is not a good example. Sky is a modern day batsman and yes we need such players in the middle order but I am talking specifically about players with the power to clear the boundary at will.  

Just a hypothetical example you need 30 from 10, you have sky and pollard whom would you pick? It’s not about batting quality.

you need someone to back himself to clear the boundary. 5 6’s means 50% success rate. A boundary hitter even if he has 360 game will take 7-8 deliveries which means you can have only a 20-30%. I am obviously speaking hypothetically to make a point.

as @BacktoCricaddict said Raina,Yuvraj, Yusuf, MSD, Kapil, Rohit qualify in that category.

I put  sky and even Gill 2.0 who has added a 360 game  in the  Kohli category. I would back a well set Kohli to find a boundary at will over most batsmen but that’s a different skill.

Forget WI cricketers I think a player like Ifthikar Chacha or Sikandar Raza or Bracewell will walk into the Indian line up even though they might be inferior to Indian spinners but their hitting ability puts them much ahead of them.

Ind's T20 team is more or less fixed at the moment (I know fans like to act like selectors as it is fun but it is by and large a pointless exercise. In fact, we are now in a relatively fortunate situation to sit back and enjoy IPL without worrying much about Team India): 

Gill

Rituraj (expected to get a run)

Samson (wk)  ... backup WK batsman -> Kishan, Pant (when available and if in form), etc. 

SKY

Sir Don Pandya (c)

X

X

X

Umran 

Bumrah

Siraj 

(additional pace options include Moshin if fit) 

For #6-8, Ind has quite a few competitive options including Tewatia (among the best finishers in the game), Axar (in a purple patch with the bat), Tripathi (a 360-degree player who was tried at #3 in the absence of Samson), Hooda (bats in the top 3-4 but was tried out in the lower middle order. A good option esp. if he can bowl too), Tilak (if he has sorted out his short ball problems), Parag (if he improves his consistency and can bowl), Sundar (needs to improve his overall game including fielding), etc. ... There are players like Jaiswal who could be slotted in at #3 so a Samson can bat at #6. 

India has got most of these players through their performances in IPL. 

Btw, talking about WI, it failed miserably in the last two T20 world cups, where its hitters did not enjoy success (even a Pooran did not click) so I wonder what a thread would be if India had fielded that WI team. 

Edited by zen

43 minutes ago, zen said:

Btw, talking about WI, it failed miserably in the last two T20 world cups, where its hitters did not enjoy success (even a Pooran did not click) so I wonder what a thread would be if India had fielded that WI team. 

I am not suggesting playing X1 power hitters. 1 or 2 at 6-7 will do and add a guy who can tonk at 8 a luxury.

Even 1 player like Romario Sheperd or Sikandar Raza or even a David Wirese (extremely underrated) would add a different dimension to the current Indian first x1.

we don’t have a power hitter. I don’t consider Jadeja or Pandya power hitters. If pandya can’t get it done against Nawaz of all people in Melbourne of all places then I won’t back him against quality pace 8/10 times especially in a crunch situation.

Jadeja the lesser said done, Maybe by Indian standards they are and their overall utility gives them a spot in the Xi so in principle I agree with you there.

you missed the main point I think. We need that hitter like forget foreign names but like MSD (minus the NRR attitude), Yuvi or Kapil Dev back in the day. That extra cover 6 in a full ground in Melbourne uff….miss such players. Prime Yusuf Pathan bhi chalega.

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

we don’t have a power hitter. I don’t consider Jadeja or Pandya power hitters. If pandya can’t get it done against Nawaz of all people in Melbourne of all places then I won’t back him against quality pace 8/10 times especially in a crunch situation.

Well you did consider Rohit Sharma, who tends to struggle in the middle order and even in the top order was a no-show in the recent WC where he sunk Ind's boat in SF, as a power hitter, and here you are claiming that SDP, who has one of the highest SRs in IPL for an Indian batsman, is not a power hitter :lol: 

Then you give some random examples of failures (as if players playing down the order are expected to be consistent) when the player did well for India in Asia Cup, WC SF, etc. 

I think every IPL you have a tendency to start a thread that involves SDP. Last time, you were even writing against GT. I knew straight away this is another version of such pointless threads. 

Edited by zen

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Well you did consider Rohit Sharma, who tends to struggle in the middle order and even in the top order was a no-show in the recent WC where he sunk Ind's boat in SF, as a power hitter, and here you are claiming that SDP, who has one of the highest SRs in IPL for an Indian batsman, is not a power hitter :lol: 

Then you give some random examples of failures (as if players playing down the order are expected to be consistent) when the player did well for India in Asia Cup, WC SF, etc. 

I think every IPL you have a tendency to start a thread that involves SDP. Last time, you were even writing against GT. I knew straight away this is another version of such pointless threads. 

Rohit Sharma is one of the most prolific 6 hitters in the history of cricket. I thought pulling stats was your hobby. Be my guest.

Hit 16 6s in an innings which requires extreme endurance and power which is a world record. Can’t compare with players who pull their back after a couple of ups.

also I don’t know why you point out the times I have criticized Pandya? I think there are plenty of times I praised him or defended him from irrational hate too. Not that I need to prove that.

if you think Pandya is a consistent power hitter against pace like Russell, Miller etc etc then god bless you :phehe: 

GT I still think is a collection of a couple of good players and mostly middling bits and pieces players and a few promising youngsters. Yes they use their players very well and credit were due to the captain and team management.  I don’t think I can offer you a different option or ever had a different opinion before :dontknow:

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Rohit Sharma is one of the most prolific 6 hitters in the history of cricket. I thought pulling stats was your hobby. Be my guest.

Isn't your criteria to judge a power hitter based on the ability to hit in the first few balls and like get 30 off 10 (that too 50% of the time). If so, Rohit does not make it to the list. Also hitting 6s after getting settled (or having the option to pick and chose a ball to hit, waiting for targeted bowlers to show up) is different than coming in and trying to hit almost every ball for a boundary (without having a choice to select balls or bowlers to target). 

Rohit will not make it to any top T20 team (esp. in MO), while SDP (esp. as an AR) will have a place in the top sides. 

Get Rohit out of your head now (he is soon going to be phased out). Or you are going to end up like Sachin fanboys who wasted their lives in criticizing Dhoni (as he is Ind's most valuable LOI player) and Kohli (as he is a good batsman too), and now Kohli-Rohit fanboys are probably expected to waste their life in criticizing the next group involving the likes of SDP. It is not the next crop of players' fault that the old guys are on their way out (and that these guys are highly talented)! 

Enjoy IPL and appreciate the next crop of players (don't forget Rohit, Kohli, etc were supported too by fans when they were new and got tons of chances despite many failures).  ... Be happy that Ind's T20 team is now more or less settled (and shortly the ODI team will be too)!

if you think Pandya is a consistent power hitter against pace like Russell, Miller etc etc then god bless you

Every player has his uniqueness esp. in relation to the team he plays for (and the options available there). No one needs to be a Russell (debuted in 2011) or a Miller (debuted in 2010). These guys have been playing cricket for a long period. Russell was not even picked by WI for the WC. Miller himself got a lifeline when GT picked him despite failures over a number of years. You are trying to compare a player's best period with someone's regular period, which remains excellent. And for a player who is not even past his best (and in the process of moving towards his peak). Remember how players like SKY, at the age of 32 and focused on only one aspect of cricket - batting, are peaking only now (if they played 2-3 years ago, they would have been unnecessarily criticized). 

Edited by zen

9 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Tilak Verma looks like an all round batsman

Can hit,stay, play the situation,but Im very much certain he too would be compromised like Pant and Pandya by notorious 'play safe play for not outs'gang in Indian cricket

No hope left for the betterment of Indian cricket in near future for they are cricket illiterate ,they are so so old school for this new super rapid cricket era

Tilak Verma is good. I thought Samad will turn to be a good power hitter but he has regressed.