Dhoni's farewell season

zen

There are reports that Dhoni has told CSK that IPL 2023 is his last season as his body is not holding up. Even in the post-match presentation in Kolkatta, he said - " I will just say thanks for the support, they came in big numbers. Most of these guys will come in a KKR jersey next time. They are trying to give me a farewell, so thanks a lot to the crowd."

It is not official yet but if the words floating around are to be taken at face value, this is finally an end of an era, making the IPL 2023 season already special. Thanks to IPL that we are still privileged to see India's greatest LOI player in action even in 2023! 

Usually, when asked about retirement, MSD has expressed his wish to sign off at Chennai. CSK is playing well this season (maybe the players are motivated to push themselves) and is expected to get into the playoff. The Qualifier and Eliminator are in Chennai. 

Because of the word of this being MSD’s likely final season (unless he says “Definitely not”), we are likely to see support for MSD at all venues! 

The atmosphere at all the stadiums could become special as the tournament progresses. 

Edited by zen

Just now, bowl_out said:

Who will be the next captain? 

Rahane/Gaikwad? 

Conway will keep

It would depend upon if they appoint someone for the long term or pick an experienced captain now and groom the potential next captain by making him the VC. 

In either case, the captain is likely to be remote-controlled by Dhoni, who is expected to remain with CSK as a mentor or in such a capacity (Isn't MSD a part owner of the franchise too?). 

On 4/24/2023 at 7:08 PM, zen said:

It would depend upon if they appoint someone for the long term or pick an experienced captain now and groom the potential next captain by making him the VC. 

In either case, the captain is likely to be remote-controlled by Dhoni, who is expected to remain with CSK as a mentor or in such a capacity (Isn't MSD a part owner of the franchise too?). 

Having Dhoni as mentor didn't work out too well for the Indian team in the recent T20 WC.  The most impressive thing about our disastrous WC campaign was his ability to escape without any criticism for his failed mentorship!

5 hours ago, nevada said:

Having Dhoni as mentor didn't work out too well for the Indian team in the recent T20 WC.  The most impressive thing about our disastrous WC campaign was his ability to escape without any criticism for his failed mentorship!

Team India (or even some other IPL team) and CSK (a team built around Dhoni) are different. We don’t even know what role he would have played as a mentor in team India (he could just be there to motivate and offer suggestions if asked). 

To make the likes of KL, Rohit, & Kohli perform in important games within a few weeks of a random appointment is asking for a miracle! 

Edited by zen

23 hours ago, Jay said:

One of the worst t20 captains of all time. Goodbye. Cost india multiple t20 titles with hos poor selections.

Seriously man. He played on Chepauk so having two finger spinners worked for him. He tried to repeat it for India and despite multiple failures in tournaments, failed to omit his error. Amit Mishra was dropped directly after a five wicket haul.

In test cricket, he has not won anything to be called great. Kohli with the same team won seven or eight overseas matches.

3 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

He was a good athlete by Indian standards but is pragmatic and understands that Indians aren't good at sports in general.

Look at csk ,nearly 20 years as a top team and Tamil Nadu still can't produce a decent ipl cricketer ,let alone an Indian one .Physically and mentally they are inadequate.

There are many strong and tough tamilians in the rural areas. They just don't get picked due to Brahmin quota and other rubbish prejudice against lower caste players.

3 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

He was a good athlete by Indian standards but is pragmatic and understands that Indians aren't good at sports in general.

Look at csk ,nearly 20 years as a top team and Tamil Nadu still can't produce a decent ipl cricketer ,let alone an Indian one .Physically and mentally they are inadequate.

Due to lack of sports culture. 

11 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

I don't like these sambhar slurping brahmins either.They have fecked you guys for long.But you guys aren't exactly physical specimens either.

Lel I am half Brahmin myself. Well atleast in name. Dont follow any religion. Secular. I hate their mentality and what they preach. I don't know where you been but I have seen far too many examples of people in rural villages of TN being naturally strong. Not even close. Punjabi TN andrha, bizarre etc have some real physical specimen out there in the rural areas. 

Edited by Jay

Hell many Marathis I have seen are naturally strong in rural areas. People don't get out of their cities much Lel. Too comfortable to get our of their comfort zone. I speak from experience. Most od you guys don't know much. My uncles have served the army. I have seen way too many examples of genuinely strong and well built local Indians in rural areas. Only issue is poor diet and lack of access to proper food. Unfortunately that's pervasive across india and it will take some time to change. 

On 4/30/2023 at 2:00 PM, Stan AF said:

He himself was by all standards a very ordinary T20 player.

Come on man. :(( 

That is very harsh.

For all the ill will we harbour against CSK, Dhoni is a proper T20 legend.

He is what makes CSK likeable, in fact.

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Come on man. :(( 

That is very harsh.

For all the ill will we harbour against CSK, Dhoni is a proper T20 legend.

He is what makes CSK likeable, in fact.

Anhoni ko kar de honi MS Dhoni! The man deserves props for being the best players' captain. Ordinary players and washed up/written off oldies turn into match-winners at CSK! I was bitterly opposed to him dragging his international career, but totally support his continued presence in the IPL. 

On 5/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, nevada said:

Anhoni ko kar de honi MS Dhoni! The man deserves props for being the best players' captain. Ordinary players and washed up/written off oldies turn into match-winners at CSK! I was bitterly opposed to him dragging his international career, but totally support his continued presence in the IPL. 

For Franchise cricket MSD is a perfect fit.  Because UPs and downs are allowed. He has enough time in franchise cricket to figure out a winning formula with the given team something other leaders lack. Kohli specifically had far stronger sides yet could not get the best out. MSD gets the entire unit firing on all cylinders. So many noname players with no real prospect. Heck even Varun Chakaravarthy was found there. He was  a net bowler for CSK. They tried to acquire him.

https://www.outlookindia.com/sports/ipl-2023-varun-chakravarthy-tortured-us-in-the-nets-for-years-says-stephen-fleming-news-286370