Let's back the boys

Gollum

On 10/1/2023 at 1:21 AM, Gollum said:

At least for next few days shall we stop using nicknames like Vada Pav, Coolie, Kela, Hahul, Bewda, Harpic, Fraudeja, Asswin, Collar Chewer, Midget etc. Posting quality should be better, often the level of discourse over here is pathetic, even in cricket discussions. And more positivity please, too much wrist slitting and abuse of players. Sports fans in all forums/SM pages vent out at players but we are being too crude and thuggish, also hateful....don't think any sportsperson should face this much hate/mockery for underperformance (nobody underperforms deliberately or to spite us), also as part of this dedicated forum for Indian cricket, we must hold ourselves to a higher standard...must represent our country better. I admit I have been guilty of all these as well, I regret some of my extreme posts about Chahal/Dhoni/Dravid/Mukesh (many more I am pretty sure).....need to do better myself. If we have to collaborate with some Indian cricketer or BCCI higher up, we can't continue this kind of toxic posting culture. 

Can we enforce these changes @Trichromatic @sandeep @Lord @Austin 3:!6, on a trial basis at least till end of the WC. Please be more firm with transgressors, I would urge members to use the report button liberally. Maybe that will result in a change of forum culture and discussions can be more civil/mature in the future.

Good thread, but let's not equate positivity with backing them (as in TM, selectors, and players) no matter how they do. accountability and performance should still matter. I don't think we should indulge in overly harsh comments or wrist-slitting, but we can call people out if they do badly IMO.

Anyway, on a positive note, I am quite happy about our bowling resources. as for batting, we had a shocker this time, but return of Gill for flat pitches will be good.

Can try some combinations for Afghan game. Rest Bumrah and Pandya

Rohit

Kishan

Iyer

Jaddu

Rahul

SKY

Thakur

Ashwin

Kuldeep

Siraj

Shami

Important thing is to give batting to those who failed/didn't bat v Aus and try backups that might be needed later

5 hours ago, Lord said:

Can try some combinations for Afghan game. Rest Bumrah and Pandya

Rohit

Kishan

Iyer

Jaddu

Rahul

SKY

Thakur

Ashwin

Kuldeep

Siraj

Shami

Important thing is to give batting to those who failed/didn't bat v Aus and try backups that might be needed later

Pandya looked undercooked... At least with the ball.  Missed so many games. 

Should be played I think. 

We need him on song against Pak on his home turf:giggle:

3 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Pandya looked undercooked... At least with the ball.  Missed so many games. 

Should be played I think. 

We need him on song against Pak on his home turf:giggle:

He had slight injury. Should not aggravate it unnecessarily. 

Will be fine v Pak. They can't play bounce.

7 hours ago, Lord said:

He had slight injury. Should not aggravate it unnecessarily. 

Will be fine v Pak. They can't play bounce.

yes, vs afg we can either rest him or play him, but give him only a few overs. maybe even use the chance to have iyer or SKY or whoever turn the arm over a bit

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, vs afg we can either rest him or play him, but give him only a few overs. maybe even use the chance to have iyer or SKY or whoever turn the arm over a bit

Im sorry but the Madness of Indian Cricket is incredible, SKY, Iyer, Hitman, Kohli should have all been bowling many times in the past 12 months during meaningless, irrelevant, useless ODI bilateral series. They could have all bowled 2-3 overs and made up a 10 over bowler and allowed us to field 7 batsmen and 4 bowlers.

Now is not the time to test our bowling strength in a WC campaign.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:12 AM, SRT100 said:

Im sorry but the Madness of Indian Cricket is incredible, SKY, Iyer, Hitman, Kohli should have all been bowling many times in the past 12 months during meaningless, irrelevant, useless ODI bilateral series. They could have all bowled 2-3 overs and made up a 10 over bowler and allowed us to field 7 batsmen and 4 bowlers.

Now is not the time to test our bowling strength in a WC campaign.

we could have tested it against minnows like Pakistan

For the first time in Dravid's tenure i see lot of positives & good things happening in Indian team . This team of 15 is the best possible talent as of now in India with good international exposure and kudos to Agarkar, Dravid , Rohit  for the selection. Only one possible change should have been including Tilak Varma in place of Shardul. Thilak could easily bowl 3-4 overs as contingency 6th bowler each match since pitches will wear out as WC goes towards end. 

India could easily go with pure 4 bowlers + hardik  in certain critical matches which requires batting depth PLus he is a MO Leftie . They should have tried him bit early to make him ready for WC.

Positives i am seeing - 

1.For the first time seeing marked improvement in batting of KL against spin (was suspect against Quality spin , but since his return looked very good against spin too apart from vs Pace) . Looks in great touch. For india to go far in this WC , KL in MO looks key. If he delivers India will do very well.

2. Iyer - Trying his best to improve his batting against short stuff . Still WIP but improvement is visible - playing the pull well  already . If he can avoid head level bouncers and cash in against spinners & medium pace , will deliver .

3. Siraj - Has developed the outswinger and looks a much better bowler who can get you wickets.

4. Kuldeep - Much improved bowler now. 

5. Form of Rohit and his game vs spin in this WC. 

6. Return of Bhumrah - Has developed a good legcutter and refined Slow off cutter - both with great control. 

7.  Gill's rising stature - Ton against BD in Asia Cup on a pitch aiding some spin - against 4 good spinners looks like a turning point in his career in making him almost a complete player. Only getting better vs swing is the final frontier for him. 

8. Addition of Ash -Gives more teeth to spin department  esp. towards final games of WC and balance to attack.

This team has the ability to go all the way , reaching finals -would be a very good achievement. 

9. Good back ups being groomed - Surya, Ruturaj, Kishan ,Jaiswal, Tilak , Prasidh , Bishnoi PLUS Pant  who will make his return. 

Just need to zero in on couple of pace & spin back ups & pace all rounders  -hope Raj Bava gets fit soon .  Arshdeep once he comes back to his previous levels of skills would be good addition for WC24 T20. 

10. India's fielding will become better going forward with Kishan, Tilak , Jaiswal, Gill ( owns Slip position) , Ruturaj, Bishnoi , Iyer   once  era of Rohit, Ash, Shami comes to end.

NOW we need a good bowling & fielding coach and a batting coach for Short format.  

Credit where due to Dravid in putting up & developing a core team but more than that improvement in batting skills which i was expecting since he took over.  Hope he corrects one negative - not developing pacers . Should find at least one format to players like Umran, Tyagi, Sen , Mohsin in the X1.

If Rohit continues to bat as he is doing now , i would like him to be an opener for WCT20 as opener , Even Virat can add value if WI pitches remain slow & low scoring pitches where 1s & 2s matter a lot to win matches .  We have seen how our Nextgen batters failed in WI in T20 this year. BUT WC23 should be an end of ERA  -  for SHAMI, Jaddu , ASH & WC24T20-  for  Rohit, VK if India to progress further. 

Edited by prudent_kreeda

This Indian team definitely can win the world cup.

Good balance in bowling and batting - issues are there but every team has them.

We have started well, we have good experience and youth mix in the side...players in form...just don't peak to early and rest those who need it at the right time for a strong finish.

20 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Winning makes everything look better.It is a long long tournament.

Become champion by winning games, applies to all teams. Looking better is by product. 1 month back team was looking pretty ordinary and was losing matches . Major change once return of injured players and started performing. 

Edited by prudent_kreeda
5 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Become champion by winning games, applies to all teams. Looking better is by product. 1 month back team was looking pretty ordinary and was losing matches . Major change once return of injured players and started performing. 

What major changes have been made? This is pretty much core of the team. The only difference is they have been getting pitches suiting their strengths.

India did win the most number of matches in league phase in 2015, 2019 and 2022 t20 world cup too.

They just have not clicked in knockouts.