Let’s talk about jadeja

mani sha

Positives - great fielder , decent odi bowler - 

negative - batting has gone down 

what is causing his batting decline ? 
is it an issue of batting ceiling ? 
is it cos he doesn’t try to hit big ? 

in tests , his batting has been good . I have never seen him play a fast knock in odi . 
Axar looked a better replacement in terms of batting 

do u guys think it’s an issue of talent or intent ? 

He was never going to make it at #7, complete misfit. We could have tried him at #4 but missed the chance. 

Come the KOs and if there is swing in the air against Eng/NZ/Aus/RSA/Pak, send him as opener and artificially lengthen the batting order. Not losing more than 1 wicket in SF/F against new ball spell of Boult/Starc/Afridi/Topley/Jansen, I'll take that as victory. 

Edited by Gollum
12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He was never going to make it at #7, complete misfit. We could have tried him at #4 but missed the chance. 

Come the KOs and if there is swing in the air against Eng/NZ/Aus/RSA/Pak, send him as opener and artificially lengthen the batting order. Not losing more than 1 wicket in SF/F against new ball spell of Boult/Starc/Afridi/Topley/Jansen, I'll take that as victory. 

In the KO's, Jadeja should absolutely not play at all.  We have to get 10 out of Hardik, drop Thakur, play main attack  and play both Iyer and SKY.

Just now, Nikhil_cric said:

In the KO's, Jadeja should absolutely not play at all.  We have to get 10 out of Hardik, drop Thakur, play main attack  and play both Iyer and SKY.

I agree. 7+4 is the way to go in KOs, we need to be brave.

Was just being realistic, Jadeja will play, so my point was if he plays at least extract max from him. 

33 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Positives - great fielder , decent odi bowler - 

negative - batting has gone down 

what is causing his batting decline ? 
is it an issue of batting ceiling ? 
is it cos he doesn’t try to hit big ? 

in tests , his batting has been good . I have never seen him play a fast knock in odi . 
Axar looked a better replacement in terms of batting 

do u guys think it’s an issue of talent or intent ? 

He is not a power hitter and has a very limited arc, he often goes into awkward positions when slashing the shots which are close to body.

Intent wise, he just don't have the game awareness, many times while batting against tailenders he will just take a single on the first ball of over and go to non striker end...In Tests he is calm because we have time, but in limited overs his nervousness take over and he does brainfarts after brainfarts.

Even now after playing 14-15 years in international cricket, he still does mistakes which you expect from a youngster. He struggles when expectations are high.

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

He is not a power hitter and has a very limited arc, he often goes into awkward positions when slashing the shots which are close to body.

Intent wise, he just don't have the game awareness, many times while batting against tailenders he will just take a single on the first ball of over and go to non striker end...In Tests he is calm because we have time, but in limited overs his nervousness take over and he does brainfarts after brainfarts.

Even now after playing 14-15 years in international cricket, he still does mistakes which you expect from a youngster. He struggles when expectations are high.

Shouldn’t he be sent at no 4 . Especially if opposition has zampa or sodhi ? Think 7 is not his position 

rohit - gill - kohli - jadeja - rahul - pandya - sky / kishan - ashwin / thakur - yadav - bumrah - siraj 

above order is our best bet of getting max out of him . 

11 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Shouldn’t he be sent at no 4 . Especially if opposition has zampa or sodhi ? Think 7 is not his position 

rohit - gill - kohli - jadeja - rahul - pandya - sky / kishan - ashwin / thakur - yadav - bumrah - siraj 

above order is our best bet of getting max out of him . 

In a way, yes he should. Considering the fact that he is the only bonafide leftie in our XI (Ishan is going to be an irregular).

That will also remove the pressure from his head that he's the last batter in XI. 

But that comes with another caveat...Shreyas & KL will slip to no 5 & 6...and both are not known to get going from ball one.

7 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

In a way, yes he should. Considering the fact that he is the only bonafide leftie in our XI (Ishan is going to be an irregular).

That will also remove the pressure from his head that he's the last batter in XI. 

But that comes with another caveat...Shreyas & KL will slip to no 5 & 6...and both are not known to get going from ball one.

Iyer can go from ball 1

Just now, sandeep said:

Banjo i get so frustrated - if we can see this, why can't the team.  15 years of betting on the same broken chip.  Over and over again.

They do but they are not ready for the solution i.e bowling 2 overs each. Its such a simple solution.

Jadeja will absolutely play in every game. There is a perception that he offers balance at 7, which is unlikely to change this WC. Whether or not he really offers it is a different thing, but the TM seems to think he does.

Top 3 : Gill, Rohit, Kohli,

4 and 5 : Iyer, KL

6 and 7 : Pandya, Jadeja

8 : Ashwin

Last 3 : Kuldeep, Siraj, Bumrah

This will be our starting XI against Aus on Oct 8.

Shardul or Shami will come in at 8 instead of Ashwin on pacy tracks

Kishan will be a back up for Rahul as keeper and Gill/Rohit as opener

SKY will be a backup for Iyer

This is the template for this WC.

All talk about Jaiswal, Gailkwad, Samson, Tilak, Axar, Washington can happen after the WC when Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja get phased out. I'm only hoping that the phasing out happens within 12-15 months of the WC ending, so the next gen gets adequate time before the 2027 WC.

I say drop Jadeja and Satisfy ICF.. lol  .  We demand it. We know better. . lol 

Whoever plays will have negatives thrown at him. We really do not have great alternatives for what we are looking for. Safe or Wicket taking bowler who hits from world go and is consistently reliable. They do not exist. Be it AXAR, Sundar or anyone else.. everyone is debatable and marginal.  Heck people are silent against Hardik momentarily but lot of abuse will follow if he fails to accelerate few times. This is definitely possible. 

KLR is a good middle order bat but he has taken extreme abuse. 

No one player will win or lose the World cup for India. Too much attention to Jadeja as if he alone is responsible for the big LOI losses. Lot of blame games have gone to DHONI too in the Past. 

In my opinion they should keep the batting order flexible after Top3 and react to situations. Also keep playing 11 flexible depending on Conditions (Extra pacer or spinner for example). It is a team game and they will win if they focus on Team objectives and everyone rises to the occasion when needed.

59 minutes ago, cricspirit said:

I say drop Jadeja and Satisfy ICF.. lol  .  We demand it. We know better. . lol 

Whoever plays will have negatives thrown at him. We really do not have great alternatives for what we are looking for. Safe or Wicket taking bowler who hits from world go and is consistently reliable. They do not exist. Be it AXAR, Sundar or anyone else.. everyone is debatable and marginal.  Heck people are silent against Hardik momentarily but lot of abuse will follow if he fails to accelerate few times. This is definitely possible. 

KLR is a good middle order bat but he has taken extreme abuse. 

No one player will win or lose the World cup for India. Too much attention to Jadeja as if he alone is responsible for the big LOI losses. Lot of blame games have gone to DHONI too in the Past. 

In my opinion they should keep the batting order flexible after Top3 and react to situations. Also keep playing 11 flexible depending on Conditions (Extra pacer or spinner for example). It is a team game and they will win if they focus on Team objectives and everyone rises to the occasion when needed.

Cricket unlike soccer is not a 100% team game in reality.

It's more similar to basketball where you need a couple of world class players to play out of their skin in difficult situations.

This is why we call "clutch performances"

Yuvraj and Raina for example won WC 2011 with their clutch performances when top order failed.

The point is Jadeja and Pandya are expected to do the same.

But we all know with current form unless a miracle happens they won't.

We know Rohit and KL will bottle it in pressure situations and Kohli is past his prime.

Either we play Jadeja or Shami to strengthen bowling and have Ashwin take Jadeja's role.

Reading about how Jadeja is the greatest fraud ever and does nothing in LOI for a while now. Decided to check his performance over last 10 years against all Indian players in both batting and bowling. 

I know he is not Ideal and would definitely better if we can. But to think that somehow he is getting in to the team ahead of others with some kind of fraud and losing India series after series just by his sheer presence is laughable.

I don't see what is so wrong in his performance over last decade if we exclude bi-laterals. These are stats for multi country tournaments. People can think what they like but he is no superstar like Dhoni, Rohit or Virat who has been kept in the team just like that. He was dropped many a times but came back. 

Batting_Decade.JPG

Ok, 94 strike rate is not the greatest in this day and age but hard to put it down as its over a decade and all situations average out.

Bowling_Decade.JPG

Most Wickets during the time with no worse average than other spinners who do not bat. 

Fielding contributions are extra.

Edited by cricspirit
4 hours ago, Strangering said:

You don't bet against guys like Jadeja. Support through their lows and reap at the top. Him being less than expectations in recent times might just work out for us in WC. Law of averages certainly applies to someone like Jadeja. He's still close to his peak fitness. 

When did he have high lol

4 hours ago, cricspirit said:

Reading about how Jadeja is the greatest fraud ever and does nothing in LOI for a while now. Decided to check his performance over last 10 years against all Indian players in both batting and bowling. 

I know he is not Ideal and would definitely better if we can. But to think that somehow he is getting in to the team ahead of others with some kind of fraud and losing India series after series just by his sheer presence is laughable.

I don't see what is so wrong in his performance over last decade if we exclude bi-laterals. These are stats for multi country tournaments. People can think what they like but he is no superstar like Dhoni, Rohit or Virat who has been kept in the team just like that. He was dropped many a times but came back. 

Batting_Decade.JPG

Ok, 94 strike rate is not the greatest in this day and age but hard to put it down as its over a decade and all situations average out.

Bowling_Decade.JPG

Most Wickets during the time with no worse average than other spinners who do not bat. 

Fielding contributions are extra.

Following matches will give you a more accurate picture than stat.  We all know how he stat pad in ODI. Tuk tuk till 40th over and hit a couple of useless four and sixes and make it look like he tried. It is the attitude, ability, skill, ceiling. Not the 'average' and 'strike rate' which is pathetic anyway. 

Also he bowls largely in the safe zone. Largely unthreatening against big sides. Sure he can bully Ireland, West Indies, Nepal. but not the threatening bowler like Kuldeep yadav. 

We need to use him in middle overs against left arm spinners and leg spinners..with clear directions to be agressive…our batters usually struggle against them and score at a low pace..esp if Kishan doest play in xi..he will be the only lefty batter now..with Axar not avlbl now

Edited by Need4Speed