This must be the end of Iyer's international career

Gollum

Australia had us in deep trouble in chasing just 200 and I wonder what would have happened if Kohli was caught very early in his innings.

Im still comfortable in saying our batting could be suspect in the biggest match of their lives. I wish Kohli had failed, I want to see us struggling very early and either posting a big total or chasing one down.

Im very happy and confident in the bowling, no doubts here. Even if two or three are having a bad day, we have 5 quality bowlers in our side.

2 "practice" games to go before the finals. Aside from maybe resting Hitman,Kohli or Bumrah, this is the settled side barring injury.

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

Australia had us in deep trouble in chasing just 200 and I wonder what would have happened if Kohli was caught very early in his innings.

Im still comfortable in saying our batting could be suspect in the biggest match of their lives. I wish Kohli had failed, I want to see us struggling very early and either posting a big total or chasing one down.

Im very happy and confident in the bowling, no doubts here. Even if two or three are having a bad day, we have 5 quality bowlers in our side.

2 "practice" games to go before the finals. Aside from maybe resting Hitman,Kohli or Bumrah, this is the settled side barring injury.

You are unworthy of your id. Timid and defeatist mentality. India is winning and be happy and cheer. 

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

One innings is summer make.. 

"...majority of times it hasn't worked me...." - there you have it. He himself answered his question, if something hasn't worked for you majority of the times by your own admission that is a weakness.

Then refuses to acknowledge his own admission, you might feel you are great. But facts don't care about your feelings, why not acknowledge & just work on it than being to defensive about it.

9 hours ago, Lord said:

Very angry vibes. Specially that response to short ball question

As someone who has been on both sides of the table, I know from personal experience that he’s coming from a place of anger and insecurity.   

That’s fine too, maybe it will motivate him.  But what worries me is that he seems to have allowed it to get to him enough to respond publicly like that.  

I hope he’s taking advice from his coach and support team.  But this response could mean that he’s been told about this before, and he either refusing to acknowledge a problem, or that he is immature enough to react like that.

Or, who knows, maybe he doesn’t have a problem at all.  What do I know, I’m just a random supporter.

2 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

As someone who has been on both sides of the table, I know from personal experience that he’s coming from a place of anger and insecurity.   

That’s fine too, maybe it will motivate him.  But what worries me is that he seems to have allowed it to get to him enough to respond publicly like that.  

I hope he’s taking advice from his coach and support team.  But this response could mean that he’s been told about this before, and he either refusing to acknowledge a problem, or that he is immature enough to react like that.

Or, who knows, maybe he doesn’t have a problem at all.  What do I know, I’m just a random supporter.

He is clearly aware of the problem.  He reacted just like how Kohli reacted when he was told about backfoot game in the interview. I don't think any player is going to take it well. If you go and tell Kuldeep "are you mentally weak when batsmen attack you" he is not going to take it well too. Nobody is going to admit "Yes i have weakness" Imagine someone saying the same to Sourav ganguly. He is going to be even more harsh

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is clearly aware of the problem.  He reacted just like how Kohli reacted when he was told about backfoot game in the interview. I don't think any player is going to take it well. If you go and tell Kuldeep "are you mentally weak when batsmen attack you" he is not going to take it well too. Nobody is going to admit "Yes i have weakness" Imagine someone saying the same to Sourav ganguly. He is going to be even more harsh

Good that the guy asked him straight forward

3 hours ago, IndianRenegade said:

"...majority of times it hasn't worked me...." - there you have it. He himself answered his question, if something hasn't worked for you majority of the times by your own admission that is a weakness.

Then refuses to acknowledge his own admission, you might feel you are great. But facts don't care about your feelings, why not acknowledge & just work on it than being to defensive about it.

Exactly, youthful exuberance! It is like saying “People die even when they are driving slowly. I have been driving at  this speed all my life and most of the time I have been found dead, but it is not a problem for me”

Edited by coffee_rules
2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Exactly. He cannot admit openly that he finds tough to handle short bowling that too in the middle of WC . But stats and the way he positions himself against short stuff tells you quality pacers will trouble him in this WC . Either a head level bumper or away going to ball around off stump will be dished out .    

9 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Any guarantees that if the ball starts swinging in semis, we can make it though the phase relatively unscathed ?

Swing can be mitigated to an extent, this is ODI not tests, but seam will hurt us more!

9 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

at an average of 44 and a strike rate of 98.

How many of them on similar tracks like Lucknow vs Eng or today vs SL under lights? Since we're being pedantic why not bring every one of those number/players under scrutiny :om:

9 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Swing can be mitigated to an extent, this is ODI not tests, but seam will hurt us more!

How many of them on similar tracks like Lucknow vs Eng or today vs SL under lights? Since we're being pedantic why not bring every one of those number/players under scrutiny :om:

Not being pedantic .  We don't have players who have handled any sort of lateral movement even in ODIs. 

It's just that our attack has been better in such conditions .

At this point , there are no real alternatives to Iyer  

The next World Cup is in SA where the ability to play strong shots on the backfoot become important .

We need to develop players for that in the next World Cup cycle .

36 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Misba ul haq brought up an interesting aspect in one of the episode in their pavilion show. He always found it harder to face seam movement because you have very little reaction time because that happens from 3 meter away from you. Swing happens from 20  meter. So you have more time adjust. Seaming happens of the surface.

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Swing happens from 20  meter. So you have more time adjust. Seaming happens of the surface.

It's even harder if it swings after seaming like peak Asif or Siraj a few times when he's on a roll. It's an art though & in many ways almost totally dependent on the pitch, just an FYI those massive booming (reversing) inswingers with the old balls back in the day also seamed off the deck!

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Not being pedantic .  We don't have players who have handled any sort of lateral movement even in ODIs. 

You are forgetting Oz got bowled out in under one session against a single Broad back in 2015, Eng vs NZ around the same time in 2(?) sessions vs Boult & Co. Even in ODI's it can happen under great conditions for bowling, just see Oz vs SA in Lucknow. You could say the same vs spin on square turners like Indore earlier this year!

Edited by R!TTER
6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Iyer has short pitch weakness , the batsman replacing him is he Bradman and has no weaknesses. What are his scores?

It is a conundrum. Every one of them have weakness.  India has already given Iyer enough game time in the world cup. He is in sync with the rest of the team. Hope we don't do the mistake of assembling a completely new XI at the last minute.  3 wicket keepers (2 of them hardly had any game time), Half fit Pandya, Over the hill MSD. On top of that we dropped Shami. :facepalm:Kishan has his own shortcomings. SKY has a niche role which may or may not come to use. Given the woeful depth every single one of the 6 batsmen should have the ability to play long innings.

Edited by vvvslaxman
39 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

It is a conundrum. Every one of them have weakness.  India has already given Iyer enough game time in the world cup. He is in sync with the rest of the team. Hope we don't do the mistake of assembling a completely new XI at the last minute.  3 wicket keepers (2 of them hardly had any game time), Half fit Pandya, Over the hill MSD. On top of that we dropped Shami. :facepalm:Kishan has his own shortcomings.

Iyer had his lumps just like Siraj in this world cup. Why drop them and get new player in who is out rehabbing only to distrub whole mojo of the team.

They did that stupid thing in 2019 when Bhuvi was injured and Shami played .But when Bhuvi played semi final and Shami did not play.We know what happened there.

Edited by putrevus