It will be a travesty if India don't win this World Cup

dilliboy

27 minutes ago, Vijy said:

KO crumpling is loading again.

I dunno if you remember this but Sanga missed an easy Stumping of Symonds in the 2003 SF, he takes that chance & Oz probably lose & maybe SL even go on to win the finals. KO games are won/lost in such moments & it's not easy for anyone!

Jayasuriya to Symonds, no run

Beaten and a stumping chance missed

Edited by R!TTER
1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

I dunno if you remember this but Sanga missed an easy Stumping of Symonds in the 2003 SF, he takes that chance & Oz probably lose & maybe SL even go on to win the finals. KO games are won/lost in such moments & it's not easy for anyone!

sanga was also a mental midget who talked a big game, but rarely produced it in ODIs.

1 hour ago, rangeelaraja said:

In all the matches so far either one of Rohit or Virat has anchored an innings.

It cannot happen all the time. There will be a time when both collectively fail to anchor an innings.   Do we have 2-3 other reasonably reliable batters - who may not be as great - but they can fight it out in a clutch game ?  

Kela is ok, but only as supporting role. likewise for Jaddu.

I would not trust Gill, iyer, SKY in those situations

23 minutes ago, Vijy said:

sanga was also a mental midget who talked a big game, but rarely produced it in ODIs.

Yes Mahela was generally much better under pressure. Also for Oz back in 96 finals - I don't remember the game but I probably watched it, Healy dropped De Silva early on in the chase & that was the turning point of the game as well. The reason Gilly is regarded as the best WK/bat ever, at least for me, is because he was great under pressure & rarely failed with the gloves. His batting of course was cherry on top. And that's why I'll maintain the biggest difference between good/great Oz sides was Gilly not McWarne :om:

Edited by R!TTER

No it won't be. Other than Rohit and Kohli nobody is batting with responsibility. Rahul did well against Aus but he is also prone to brainfades like yesterday.

Iyer is turning out to be a bad investment. 

Gill is what Kohli was in 2011, sparks of greatness but needs more time to sort his percentage game.

12 minutes ago, Number said:

No it won't be. Other than Rohit and Kohli nobody is batting with responsibility. Rahul did well against Aus but he is also prone to brainfades like yesterday.

Gill is what Kohli was in 2011, sparks of greatness but needs more time to sort his percentage game.

The bowling is GOAT level ..even if the batting has an average day, almost impossible to score quick against this bowling attack

7 hours ago, Sharjah-Harjah said:

While I agree that this is the most complete bowling unit for these conditions and the best team overall, I disagree that this is the best batting unit.

Gill, Iyer, Sky and Kishan are all new-ish on world stage and they have not shown much of a potential in the WC pressure games yet. With Pandya potentially injured, batting is relying on able shoulders of Kohli and Rohit, but they can’t fire everyday. 
SA and Aus have more explosive and capable batting than India today.

QDK, Bavuma, Markaram, VD Dussen,  Klassen, Miller (no weak link) 

Head, Warner, Marsh, Smith, Lab, Maxwell. (lab weak link) 

NZ is also pretty pretty good.

Sky and Kishan are backup batsmen. Gill and Iyer are in the main lineup.

Gill is averaging 26.

Iyer is averaging 33.5.

Bavuma is averaging 21.75 in first WC.

VD Dussen is averaging 36.66 and made ODI debut after Gill and Iyer.

Smith is averaging 26.83.

Labu is averaging 33.5 in first WC and made ODI debut after Gill and Iyer.

Phillips 31.5 in first WC and made ODI debut after Gill and Iyer.

Will Young 34.6 in first WC and made ODI debut after Gill and Iyer.

2 hours ago, Number said:

Iyer invested a lot in. Good stats as well.

Let's see what these two do in the next few games.

2 hours ago, dilliboy said:

The bowling is GOAT level ..even if the batting has an average day, almost impossible to score quick against this bowling attack

SA match will be the true reflection of our bowling .. we did hunt down a Head less Australia, lets see

9 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Back then conditions did play a part & that SF had dubious decisions, but our reviews were outright denied when they both were *ing close! Also we chased, how many teams have won against pre tournament favorites/second favs & won chasing in a KO game?

although Umesh took a 4 for you cannot win a semi final where your 6th bowler is virat kohli ( yes he bowled an over if I remember) and your 3 main fast bowlers were shami ( playing with injury), mohit sharma and umesh.. very difficult playing against smith in prime in Australia 

14 hours ago, dilliboy said:

The current Indian team in my opinion has at least 5 players who will walk in into our all time ODI XI - Rohit, Kohli, Bumrah, Shami and Kuldeep. And to top it all, all of them are peaking at the right time in this WC.

Once again this team has shown that it is far and away the best side in these conditions. The most complete bowling attack and the most technically equipped batsmen in these conditions. The opposition team needs to play out of their skins and only a freak innings by a maverick player like Maxwell or Klaasen can potentially stop this juggernaut. This is India's World Cup too lose and it will be tragedy of the highest order if this team doesn't keep the trophy home.

True. Add Hardik and this is a bunch of one in a generation indian players and in home conditions too it'll be a huge missed opportunity if it does kot happen.

Of course as well know it doesn't happen by some God given right has to be earned and we're not even close yet

6 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Ponting was plumb lbw to bhajji in the final..they were 100 odd for 2..

14 hours ago, Lord said:

We had a similar run 2015 where we not only won all the games, but bowled opposition out everytime.

Such things don't matter in knockouts pressure.

This time the knockouts will be in favourable conditions for us unlike 2015 and 2019. Our team is also better now than in last 2 WCs.

They just need to make sure that Wankhede has some help for spinners and not be an absolute pancake(with short boundaries no less). 

6 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Also, Aravinda was slow in running and got run out. That was a big blow to SL's chances.

No it won't be a travesty. Many a teams that have dominated the WC have lost in the knock outs. NZ 1992, WI 1983 ( Although India did defeat them in first round ), Pakistan / India 1987, Pak / SA 1999 etc etc.

In knock out, it is down to big moments and not necessarily quality. I am perfectly okay with India being knocked in SF or Finals. It can happen to any team. Its on the day.

This XI have big names yea, but the balance is off. Yesterday we saw how batting order fizzled out in 42nd over. From 187-7, pathetic bowling from England helped us reach 229. It'll not happen against Aus/Nz.

And the entire English batting line-up is out of form and mentally not there, they couldn't even reach close to the target against Afghanistan. So lets not count the chickens here, remember there's a reason they are sitting at the bottom of the table.

For Indian conditions, I'll still pick the 2011 batting line-up. Our no.5 at the time was playing for a decade and was in peak form. No.6 and no.7 were known for clutch innings and power hitting. Yuvi-MS-raina >>> kl-sky-jaddu

Rohit -Virat are probably better than Sachin-Sehwag but the difference isn't big enough to cover the middle order gulf.

2 hours ago, Norman said:

I just don't see any batting line-up scoring 280+ against this bowling attack. Yes ..even at Wankhede in th afternoon. 

This is why I was in awe of Afghanistan when they made 270 at Delhi although that attack didn't have shami. 

Shardul and Siraj are the weak links and the only ones who have gone for runs.

Shami has plugged the Siraj gap. Ashwin in place of Shardul on a slightly turning surface makes it good.