Was Kohli's approach after 30th over justified in semi-final?

I am not questioning his 71 ball 65 runs before 30th over. I think it was ok.

I am talking about the phase when India were 214-1 in 30 overs. Scoring at 7.1 RPO.

Last 20 overs, 9 wickets in hand. What does Kohli do? He scored next 33 runs in 34 balls till over no 42.

Now I am not expecting him to score 60 runs in 34 balls. But thing is that he played anchor role where he was scoring below teams current RR. Forget about acceleration, how about scoring at same rate? 45 in 34 balls maybe?

From 214 in 30 overs, India reached 292 in 41 overs. 78 runs in 11 overs!

No acceleration by the team.

He was batting as if team is 4 down and needed to bat through 50 overs.

11 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

I am not questioning his 71 ball 65 runs before 30th over. I think it was ok.

I am talking about the phase when India were 214-1 in 30 overs. Scoring at 7.1 RPO.

Last 20 overs, 9 wickets in hand. What does Kohli do? He scored next 33 runs in 34 balls till over no 42.

Now I am not expecting him to score 60 runs in 34 balls. But thing is that he played anchor role where he was scoring below teams current RR. Forget about acceleration, how about scoring at same rate? 45 in 34 balls maybe?

From 214 in 30 overs, India reached 292 in 41 overs. 78 runs in 11 overs!

No acceleration by the team.

He was batting as if team is 4 down and needed to bat through 50 overs.

78/11 is almost 7 RPO and field is opened up. Since when is that not good enough? 

If he had got out and we lose few wickets in clump then score would have been 350.. Which would have been chased on this pitch. 

Too much analysis paralysis.

7 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

Kohli has the defined role of Anchor in this team just like Rohit  has set the tone for aggressiveness up top.I also think he will not fare well if he tries to hit out like Shreyas.

You can't continue to anchor for fifty overs. So better hit out or get out if you can't do that. Kohli throughout this WC has batted selfishly with a single aim of completing his hundred.

10 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

Kohli has the defined role of Anchor in this team just like Rohit  has set the tone for aggressiveness up top.I also think he will not fare well if he tries to hit out like Shreyas.

Again I am not questioning his 71 ball 65. I have already mentioned that it was ok. He played anchor role.

But what type of anchoring was required after 30 overs when 9 wickets were left?

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You can't continue to anchor for fifty overs. So better hit out or get out if you can't do that. Kohli throughout this WC has batted selfishly with a single aim of completing his hundred.

Yeah ,most selfish player in Indian team after Sachin Tendulkar

7 minutes ago, poyzzplaidwell said:

78/11 is almost 7 RPO and field is opened up. Since when is that not good enough? 

If he had got out and we lose few wickets in clump then score would have been 350.. Which would have been chased on this pitch. 

Too much analysis paralysis.

It's not good enough when team RR is is already over 7 with only 1 wicket down.

If he had got out, India would have managed only 136 runs in 120 balls with 8 wickets in hand? Really?

Rohit's role is to blast the opposition out of the game in the power play. Virat's role is to anchor the team's innings and stay at the crease long enough to ensure we donot run out of wickets in the death overs. His role is very crucial. We have 6 batters and Jadeja at No.7, thats it! All it requires is one collapse the team's World cup ambitions are over. Gill had left the field due to cramps. What if he werent fit enough to come back to bat again. India were effectively 3 down at the time.

You are directing your venom at the wrong people.

Bumrah started the innings uncharacteristically, by giving Conway width and getting hit for boundaries. His second over had 3 wides, his third over had 5 wides and was bowling all over the place. He had a mammoth 398 tuns to defend. Why was he so nervous instead of bowling like a tiger? He was also very hesitant during fielding as well. Indian management needs to sit him down and talk to him and rid him of this fear. I am worried about him in the finals. We need clear minded and aggressive Bumrah for finals. (He was also unlucky to have 2 catches dropped off him) Luckily Shami and Kuldeep had nerves of steel!

NewZealand actually didnt start well. It was Indian bowlers who donated 15 wides in first 10 overs. Not to mention so many misfields, overthrows and atleast one simple drop catch.

Anyway, I suspect New Zealand being our bogey team, the players were very nervous. I hope all the fears, doubts, nervousness, jitters are out of their system. They need to just play the way they have been playing so far, focus on the mental aspect of the game and the World Cup is ours! :om:

I think we fans are more mentally fragile than the players, and need grow some spine and support our team in all conditions :whack2:

The respect given to Santner was uncalled for .. There was no need to play a maiden over that too 38th over of the inning with one wicket down.

You never know when such things come back to bite you.

Tht batting in 33rd to 40th overs was just screaming playing for records attitude .. Had not Iyer gone bonkers we could have ended with a score around 350 ..

Apart from tht Bumrah and Siraj panicked when they didn't got the swing and seam help from the pitch .. Even jadega got frustrated ..

Good thing is tht they had a cushion of 400 runs and they faltered in semis which we eventually won. Hopefully they all can rectify the mistakes all did in semis ..

16 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

It's not good enough when team RR is is already over 7 with only 1 wicket down.

If he had got out, India would have managed only 136 runs in 120 balls with 8 wickets in hand? Really?

well in the past have seen many times that we collapse when a couple of wickets fall, especially when we only have 6 batters.

But I think the bigger picture is, every player has been given a very very very clear goal. Virat's role is to bat until 40 overs without much risk, and others take the risks around him. This is his role. I am sure if he was given a role to be aggressor he will play accordingly.

1 minute ago, poyzzplaidwell said:

well in the past have seen many times that we collapse when a couple of wickets fall, especially when we only have 6 batters.

But I think the bigger picture is, every player has been given a very very very clear goal. Virat's role is to bat until 40 overs without much risk, and others take the risks around him. This is his role. I am sure if he was given a role to be aggressor he will play accordingly.

Fear of collapse could have justified 320 yesterday. That's not how things work.

20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Exactly !

Kohli played for his 50th century after the 30th over.  And did this in earlier matches too.

He is capable of batting much faster than he did, on such a flat pitch. 

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Exactly !

Kohli played for his 50th century after the 30th over.  And did this in earlier matches too.

He is capable of batting much faster than he did, on such a flat pitch. 

This might be true but do you trust SKY and the bowlers to take us to 400 if Kohli gets out before 35th over?.