“Virat Kohli making needless and unnecessary statement on his place in ICC T20 World Cup 2024 squad”: Robin Uthappa

“Virat Kohli making needless and unnecessary statement on his place in ICC T20 World Cup 2024 squad”: Robin Uthappa

Virat Kohli Virat Kohli took a dig at his doubters after scoring 77 runs against Punjab Kings

The lead-up to the Indian Premier League 2024 saw a lot of debate on Virat Kohli’s place in Team India for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in the West Indies and the United States of America. A report in the Telegraph revealed that the BCCI, the national selectors, and the team management are not in favour of the star batter for the global event, and chief selector Ajit Agarkar will inform Kohli of the final decision.

However, the likes of Kevin Pietersen, Sunil Gavaskar, Dale Steyn, and several other legends have rallied behind the former India skipper, and Kohli can still contribute despite his habit of taking time to settle down.

Virat Kohli took a dig at his doubters after scoring 77 runs against Punjab Kings in IPL 2024, saying that he still has in him to play the format. Robin Uthappa, who played alongside Kohli, said that the remark made by the RCB batter was unnecessary.

Kohli’s 49-ball knock helped the Bengaluru-based franchise in winning the contest against Punjab. The win came after a defeat against Chennai Super Kings. Speaking to Harsha Bhogle after the game, Kohli said that his name is being used to promote the game in other parts of the world.

“My name is being used to promote T20 cricket in other parts and I guess I still got it,” he had said.

Speaking to JioCinema, Uthappa called it a needless act by the veteran batter. Uthappa said that it is up to the Ajit Agarkar-led selection committee to decide whether they want to go with a young team like 2007 or want experienced guys in the squad.

“I think he made an unnecessary statement. We all know what he is capable of and what he has done in the T20 format. He wants to be a part of the IC T20 World Cup 2024 squad, but it is up to the selectors to take a call. Let them decide what they wish to do in terms of players. Are they willing to go with the new guys like in 2007, or do they want the tried and tested players? They are the ones who are going to make the decision,” he said.

The BCCI is likely to announce the team for the ICC T20 World Cup in April.

Kohli batting like he has a point to prove in the ipl. 

Kohli ran away from national duty after 36 all out, against Bazball XI when everyone thought we would lose, then that cringe coverage about his milestones in the WC. These things will make him lose sympathy, support. 

I do want him in my WC squad in June but understandable if people have had enough of his shenanigans/antics. 

Edited by Gollum

They try to indirectly put pressure on selectors through fan base. They have this useless "orange cap" which absolutely tells nothing about the strike rate for a given match. As long as he wins the orange cup he will be in the squad. Humiliation will follow.  I want India to win. But if these same old guys Rohit/Rahul/Kohi/Jadeja/Pandya go we will have a guaranteed exit.

2 hours ago, New guy said:

Yes lets let the players declare their own place in the squad, no need for any selectors. 

did Kohli say he wants to play in the WC? dont put words in him mouth,he is playing well and he can say he is playing well.Its upto the selectors but they have made an egregious blunder by already appointing Rohit as the Captain when he himself is not looking good in T20.

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

It is always upto selectors. I have no problem if selectors want to move on and play all young players.But if guy like Rohit or even Pandya are in the squad.Then Kohli deserves to be in the squad ahead of them

Spot on bro. Before discussing Kohli's place, look at Rohit, Kela, Jadeja, Siraj, Pandya etc. Kohli is the least of our problems now.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

They try to indirectly put pressure on selectors through fan base. They have this useless "orange cap" which absolutely tells nothing about the strike rate for a given match. As long as he wins the orange cup he will be in the squad. Humiliation will follow.  I want India to win. But if these same old guys Rohit/Rahul/Kohi/Jadeja/Pandya go we will have a guaranteed exit.

We need the entire experience setup out of T20I team except Bumrah and SKY.

OUT - Rohit / Kohli / Jadeja and same type Axar / Ashwin / Pandya / Chahal / Shami / Bhubi .. think 50-100 match experience, then out. It is not just about their age and fitness like fat Rohit. Its about the mind and cricket age. 

KL Rahul I am not dead against but don't care if he does not play.

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Spot on bro. Before discussing Kohli's place, look at Rohit, Kela, Jadeja, Siraj, Pandya etc. Kohli is the least of our problems now.

Not the least of our problems. They are all equal problems. Individually all these guys can make a case for themselves. Collectively they are doom. We need a new setup for T20I and even if they fail, we need to accept and adopt accordingly without going back to the discarded batch.

2 hours ago, cricspirit said:

Not the least of our problems. They are all equal problems. Individually all these guys can make a case for themselves. Collectively they are doom. We need a new setup for T20I and even if they fail, we need to accept and adopt accordingly without going back to the discarded batch.

Yup even one guy from this list can screw up the balance

15 hours ago, Gollum said:

KL and Siraj are not guaranteed picks

On 4/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, Gollum said:

Kohli ran away from national duty after 36 all out, against Bazball XI when everyone thought we would lose, then that cringe coverage about his milestones in the WC. These things will make him lose sympathy, support. 

I do want him in my WC squad in June but understandable if people have had enough of his shenanigans/antics. 

Lol his own rcb fana hate him

It's 50 50

He shouldn't be picked for t20

Don't care if he scores 200 in 50 balls.

8 minutes ago, cricketfan28 said:

Sharma will.drop.him.

Sharma is the one backing him when Agarkar was considering not picking him. 

This is why Rohit, Virat, KL, Jaddu all need to go. If you pick one, they'll try to rope the others in 

On 4/3/2024 at 7:04 AM, Vijy said:

no, fatman is his no. 1 backer

Seniors always back each other because they know if they are not in a group, their individual performances will be compared to youngsters and criticized. This way when Kohli fails his fans can go, but but Rohit and Rohit fans can go, but but Kohli. And no one has the balls to sack both together.

1 hour ago, New guy said:

Seniors always back each other because they know if they are not in a group, their individual performances will be compared to youngsters and criticized. This way when Kohli fails his fans can go, but but Rohit and Rohit fans can go, but but Kohli. And no one has the balls to sack both together.

This is the issue. They all need to be phased out together. End of 2023 World Cup was the ideal time to do that .