Countdown to 300 wickets for Ashwin

9 hours ago, gakgupta said:

Somehow i still think swann was a better bowler.....But he has done incredible service to Indian cricket...total respect

Swann was more sort of complete bowler, who trouble batsmen everywhere. I still want some more convincing performances from Ashwin in overseas pitches. In sub-continent, he is King. I feel, he will reach 300 wickets in this home season.

9 hours ago, gakgupta said:

Somehow i still think swann was a better bowler.....But he has done incredible service to Indian cricket...total respect

Swann used his whole body in his action, so I guess he could generate more revs and turn, which helped in less spin friendly conditions. 

Ashwin seems to have gotten better at this. 

5 hours ago, fineleg said:

Congrats Ashwin. Still a long way to go to match Graeme Swann in "foreign pitches".

Long way to go but on the right path. As he said in his interview, he plans his wickets out now. If you saw the test, not all of his wickets were because of the pitch. He deceived the batsmen in flight as well. Mixed it up with short, full, slow and a bit quicker deliveries. I am sure he will do well overseas now.

47 minutes ago, laaloo said:

Long way to go but on the right path. As he said in his interview, he plans his wickets out now. If you saw the test, not all of his wickets were because of the pitch. He deceived the batsmen in flight as well. Mixed it up with short, full, slow and a bit quicker deliveries. I am sure he will do well overseas now.

Yes.....I was very happy to see that Ashwin was putting more revs on the ball in the West Indies and getting some turn and bounce as a result.  Should bode well for him and our team on away tours in the future.

Edited by express bowling

Needs 97 more wickets to achieve 300 test wickets.12 tests to go in the home season....I reckon he'll do it at 8 wickets per match rate comfortably.If he takes more than that India will win all the matches barring any weather conditions.He'll finish as the best bowler India has ever produced if he plays 100 tests for India.

Edited by ShebbySB
6 minutes ago, ShebbySB said:

Needs 97 more wickets to achieve 300 test wickets.12 tests to go in the home season....I reckon he'll do it at 8 wickets per match rate comfortably.I f he takes more than that India will win all the matches barring any weather conditions.He'll finish as the best bowler India has ever produced if he plays 100 tests for India.

Post that there are 3 more test in SL where he enjoyed bowling recently. 

After that he goes to Sa for 3 test i guess

Then return to home for another 3 test series against Lanka. 

But until he performs in Aus, Sa, NZ , ENg he wont earn the Legend status

The biggest problem for India would the performance of the pacers while traveling overseas. First test against NZ is the prime example. Most of the time when spinners play overseas, the pacers take the responsibility like how the spinners do while playing at home. Ashwin and Jadeja did bulk of the bowling and took most of the wickets while Shami, Yadav gave crucial breakthrough's when needed. The onus is on the spinners to do majority of the damage in conditions like these.

When we go overseas, most of the wickets are not conducive to spin bowling and the onus is on the pacers to do the same thing but Indian pacers except for WI haven't done that. When you are relying on your spinner to win you games on concrete roads of Australia, you are not going to succeed. Spinners in Australia are the support cast and yes when they get a pitch like 2013 Durban or 2014 Adelaide, the spinners will step up but on other pitches it should be the pacers with the spinners ending up with 2-50, 3-70 sort of figures while pacers do majority of the damage.

Ashwin and Jadeja have struggled because the Indian pacers are not consistent.

It is totally wrong to blame indian fast bowlers for not winning enough matches overseas. They hardly play any role in home matches and all of sudden are asked to get 20 wickets by themselves. They are simply not used to shoulder that kind of load and quite frankly they are incapable to win matches on their own without any help from spinners. 

Look at any major overseas test win for  spinners always played role in picking up few wickets. If they do not play any role like Joburg 2013 or NZ second test where Brendon scored his 300. India simply will not win .

When Zak was at his best he still was playing support role to spinners.It is Indian spinners who need to learn how to be more effective in picking up few wickets when playing overseas.

19 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Post that there are 3 more test in SL where he enjoyed bowling recently. 

After that he goes to Sa for 3 test i guess

Then return to home for another 3 test series against Lanka. 

But until he performs in Aus, Sa, NZ , ENg he wont earn the Legend status

I'll look forward to his performance in SA against SA.He'll play all the matches as he bats at 6 or 7 overseas except his bowling capabilities.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

It is totally wrong to blame indian fast bowlers for not winning enough matches overseas. They hardly play any role in home matches and all of sudden are asked to get 20 wickets by themselves. They are simply not used to shoulder that kind of load and quite frankly they are incapable to win matches on their own without any help from spinners. 

Look at any major overseas test win for  spinners always played role in picking up few wickets. If they do not play any role like Joburg 2013 or NZ second test where Brendon scored his 300. India simply will not win .

When Zak was at his best he still was playing support role to spinners.It is Indian spinners who need to learn how to be more effective in picking up few wickets when playing overseas.

Indian pacers don't have to do all the job but should not be giving 4-5 runs per over. Let me give you a statistic. India played 5 pacers in Australia. 3 of them went for more than 4 an over. One bowler went for 6 runs per over. The average for the pace bowlers on wickets they should have been taking the lead is 50 at an economy rate of 4.30. So tell me this, if the pace attack who dominate in overseas conditions taking wickets at 50 runs per wicket and giving 4.3 runs per over, how can a spinner attack from the other end? The captain goes to the lead spinner and says control the runs and he bowls defensively. I understand your point about pacers not bowling long spells in India but again what about bowlers like Ishant? Umesh? who have been there for a long time. Umesh has been playing since 2012, Ishant since 2008. If you are saying that these bowlers are not capable of adjusting to overseas conditions then they have no business representing India.

Even in the 90's we had Venky and Srinath who hardly bowled at home. In fact India used to play 3 spinners with Ganguly sharing the new ball with Srinath but still they bowled brilliantly overseas whenever they got chance.

3 hours ago, cricketpitch said:

Indian pacers don't have to do all the job but should not be giving 4-5 runs per over. Let me give you a statistic. India played 5 pacers in Australia. 3 of them went for more than 4 an over. One bowler went for 6 runs per over. The average for the pace bowlers on wickets they should have been taking the lead is 50 at an economy rate of 4.30. So tell me this, if the pace attack who dominate in overseas conditions taking wickets at 50 runs per wicket and giving 4.3 runs per over, how can a spinner attack from the other end? The captain goes to the lead spinner and says control the runs and he bowls defensively. I understand your point about pacers not bowling long spells in India but again what about bowlers like Ishant? Umesh? who have been there for a long time. Umesh has been playing since 2012, Ishant since 2008. If you are saying that these bowlers are not capable of adjusting to overseas conditions then they have no business representing India.

Even in the 90's we had Venky and Srinath who hardly bowled at home. In fact India used to play 3 spinners with Ganguly sharing the new ball with Srinath but still they bowled brilliantly overseas whenever they got chance.

How many overseas tests India won in 1990s, so much for them bowling brilliantly .Srinath had far better stats at home than overseas and he was a better match winner at home than abroad.

Australian pitches were roads  and the fact  is Nathan Lyon out bowled Indian spinners there.The same thing happened with Moen Ali he was better than India spinners in England series.

In ideal world guys like Ishant and Umesh should be able to do better but they are very mediocre bowlers but Ashwin and Jadeja are world class spinners , world class fast bowlers of other teams when they play in India tend to do far better job than just being passengers. Kumble also had the same issue for early part of his career .

Unless we see grass roots development of Indian fast bowlers and they being taught how to consistently win matches for their sides nothing is going to change .

These pitches which we are seeing now will push Indian cricket back.You cannnot ask your spinners to open with new ball that is just not going to help Indian cricket.