Why is Rohit Sharma playing Tests for India? Look no further than Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina

sandeep

1 hour ago, Texan said:

The comparison is a bit unfair IMO. Yuvraj and Raina never had any stellar FC records to back their accent into Test cricket. In contrast, Rohit has consistently averaged 50+ in FC cricket. Rohit definitely earned his spot in the Test team with FC performances to back his LOI performances. On the contrary, Yuvraj and Raina got their spots solely due to their LOI exploits. Of course, after Rohit got picked, he got plenty of opportunities to prove his mettle and so far he hasn't met with much success. 

Yuvraj averages 49 in  FC matches leaving aside tests.  That is decent.

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

A year ago, Rohit was meant to bring "flair" to the no. 3 spot.

In 2016, he's supposed to be the "dangerous" option at no. 5.

I guess his next avatar will be a Gilchrist type counter-attacking no. 7 in 2017. :giggle:

He was also meant to be an off spinner

Till , last yr he even planned to be a seaming all rounder but that needs hard work which is not his forte. So that idea has gone into hidding

Wait till his few failure and it would hit the team that they basically using him wrong. HE is a natural opener and he should be opening like sehwag . He is next sehwag and then he ll get chances at open as well only to realize that he would fail at that to

6 hours ago, Texan said:

The comparison is a bit unfair IMO. Yuvraj and Raina never had any stellar FC records to back their accent into Test cricket. In contrast, Rohit has consistently averaged 50+ in FC cricket. Rohit definitely earned his spot in the Test team with FC performances to back his LOI performances. On the contrary, Yuvraj and Raina got their spots solely due to their LOI exploits. Of course, after Rohit got picked, he got plenty of opportunities to prove his mettle and so far he hasn't met with much success. 

Y ru taking domestic so srsly, there are tons of domestic legends who were joke in Int cricket. 

Last yr when Rohit didnt play 1st 2 test against Sa he played for mumbai n scored a big ton and what happend when he played last 2 test A total of 23-24 runs in 4 innings. And he was in form also before that as he scored runs in T20 n ODi against Sa. 

Before that also he was dropped and then he made comebacks on basis of 200-300s in domestic but in International cricket the story was diff. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

This guy has played at positions from 3 to 6 and failed royally in each one of them. Poor Rahane also had to kicked around to bat at no.3 and now no.4 to accommodate this legendary bat. Now Kohli has also started moving for him.

Next we should drop one of the openers and make him open, who know we may find the next Sehwag :agree:

Don't you see a problem there? regularly in and out of the team,regularly shuffling in batting order?

17 hours ago, philcric said:

The bolded bits. This is the kind of stuff where you lose all your credibility.

(Side Note - For a long time I thought you were like one of those spoof twitter accounts (like the Nasir Jamshed one) where stuff gets said with tongue firmly in cheek, but later I realised you are just a silly fanboy who has propensity for hyperbole).

I mean it's fine if you believe Rohit can become a good test player. But what the fcuk does "ABility on paper-unmatched" even mean? May be he should be playing cricket on paper?

Regarding "ability to accelerate", it comes into picture only when runs are being scored. In tests, if you are not scoring big runs, it doesn't matter if you have the "ability to accelerate". 

Most of the test batsmen's SR is between 45-55. Not much of a range and hardly the most important thing. The basis of test batting is the volume of runs. Then comes the ability to survive tough periods. Then comes the ability to score fast.

You skipped all the relevant points in the post and caught a couple of words to suit your agenda...fair enough my post reeks of fanboyism(in your interpretation) but when you pick and chose what to respond on would "hater" be an accurate description?

Ability on Paper unmatched explained-Ok won't use intangible qualities like cricketing acumen or cricket rule 101's here but will give you more documented on paper(the irony) examples here.

Pujara is out of form-Check

Kohli wants to force "results"

Pujara is currently stuck in a rut where he has only 1 gear-Check

Rohit is the back up batsman-Check

Kohli and Kumble assess what is Rohit's strengths.

Does it fit with their aggressive strategy they think.

The argument against it-Rohit's current lack of "numbers"

The argument for it-Here is a guy who once scored 200 in a ODI with record breaking 16 16's.......might be a fluke....then he scored 264 in an innings again-A score once considered a match winning team total in a ODI....then the guy got close to smashing a couple of more 200's....How does this guy do it so often? because once he gets set he can play "Long innings" and "innings that can put the game out of the opponents reach"...the guy can score 100's in T20's.....Did this just happen in their imagination? no it is pretty much documented and well established that this guy can make wonders happen if he get's set.

Phew long winded explanation for just one word...hope you get the point.

Let me use some deductive analysis like Sherlock holmes......next statement is going to be...but Rohit is once "assumed" to have said come to India to Steyn and then got bowled by the greatest bowler of the modern era....hmm how embarrassing to get bowled to a loser like Steyn...Rohit has no stats....no technique......durka durka....blah blah....etc etc.

Well back to the main point....Pujara is out of form and struggling to get going so who are the back up batsmen in the squad??? Care to explain...I am pretty sure this will be skipped

Ability to accelerate once set-Well refer post above to derive some conclusions from there.

This is a guy who given the licence to accelerate had the audacity to step out to a young bowler bowling 140 clicks and smack him for a 80m 6 towards the end of the day in a test match......where is this documented? On Paper,On Youtube,in the archives of cricketing websites etc etc.

I am working from home today....feel free to ask me any other doubts you may have.

Edited by maniac
22 minutes ago, maniac said:

Don't you see a problem there? regularly in and out of the team,regularly shuffling in batting order?

Lol, Rahane should be the one who should be complaining as he is being moved around between no. 3 and no.6 for no fault of his.

I will make clear the sequence of events of Rohit:

• Started at no.6 with two hunderds against the WI Invitational XI at home. Then quickly fizzled out so was moved to no.5 saying not enough time to score runs, team moves Rahane to no.6
  • The next Laxman bats at no.5 and then fails royally with an average of just over 30 at that position and he gets kicked out of team
  • Somewhere in the middle of this the next Tendulkar plays at no.4 to score 4 runs in total in that innings
  • Team thinks this ATG is the next Ponting ‘with more flair’ and will make daddy hundreds at no.3 so Kohli kicks out Pujara and plays him at no.3
  • Team realises it’s blunder and makes a bigger blunder and move Rahane to no.3 so that ‘Flair’ can bat at no.5
  • ‘Flair’ fails again at no.5 and is kicked out of team
  • Kohli gets ‘Ghajini’ short term memory loss and brings the most ‘dangerous batsman’ on this planet to play at no.5, again moving Rahane to no. 4 and himself moving to no.3
Edited by Forever Indian
16 hours ago, express bowling said:

Yuvraj averages 49 in  FC matches leaving aside tests.  That is decent.

If I remember this right, I think Yuvraj averaged more in the range of 40-42 when he made his Test debut. His average increased recently due to some good Ranji seasons. Rohit, on the other hand, was averaging close to 60 in FC when he made his debut. 

On 8/16/2016 at 10:39 AM, maniac said:

The argument for it-Here is a guy who once scored 200 in a ODI with record breaking 16 16's.......might be a fluke....then he scored 264 in an innings again-A score once considered a match winning team total in a ODI....then the guy got close to smashing a couple of more 200's....How does this guy do it so often? because once he gets set he can play "Long innings" and "innings that can put the game out of the opponents reach"...the guy can score 100's in T20's.....Did this just happen in their imagination? no it is pretty much documented and well established that this guy can make wonders happen if he get's set.

Maniac, i understand you love for Rohit, those numbers would mean a Sehwag in tests, hmm even i want him to actually have a long run in tests if that could happen. But in ODI you get to play 5 overs from a top bowler with fielding restrictions, and bouncer restrictions leg side restrictions with fielders in the arc none outside asking for the hit. If its a small ground then the hit goes to six, in tests one gets no place to hide, bowler can not maim a batsman or throw the ball at his head thats about the restrictions in Test( i am simplifying) but you get the drift. There is very little chance of Rohit replicating his ODI success in tests, esp abroad.

12 hours ago, maniac said:

You skipped all the relevant points in the post and caught a couple of words to suit your agenda...fair enough my post reeks of fanboyism(in your interpretation) but when you pick and chose what to respond on would "hater" be an accurate description?

Ability on Paper unmatched explained-Ok won't use intangible qualities like cricketing acumen or cricket rule 101's here but will give you more documented on paper(the irony) examples here.

Pujara is out of form-Check

Kohli wants to force "results"

Pujara is currently stuck in a rut where he has only 1 gear-Check

Rohit is the back up batsman-Check

Kohli and Kumble assess what is Rohit's strengths.

Does it fit with their aggressive strategy they think.

The argument against it-Rohit's current lack of "numbers"

Phew long winded explanation for just one word...hope you get the point.

Let me use some deductive analysis like Sherlock holmes......next statement is going to be...but Rohit is once "assumed" to have said come to India to Steyn and then got bowled by the greatest bowler of the modern era....hmm how embarrassing to get bowled to a loser like Steyn...Rohit has no stats....no technique......durka durka....blah blah....etc etc.

Well back to the main point....Pujara is out of form and struggling to get going so who are the back up batsmen in the squad??? Care to explain...I am pretty sure this will be skipped

Ability to accelerate once set-Well refer post above to derive some conclusions from there.

This is a guy who given the licence to accelerate had the audacity to step out to a young bowler bowling 140 clicks and smack him for a 80m 6 towards the end of the day in a test match......where is this documented? On Paper,On Youtube,in the archives of cricketing websites etc etc.

I am working from home today....feel free to ask me any other doubts you may have.

Pujara isnt out of form just struggling to convert starts.

After Rohit Sharma again failed horribly in Sri Lanka and Pujara was bought in for final test he scored a match winning hundred.In the SA series he struggled yes but mostly due to the conditions and still finished with better returns than even Kohli.Only Rahana and Vijay (who also is dropped by the team management for aggressive thinking and so called 4th gear) had a better series than Pujara.

Its nonsense to suggest Pujara is struggling for form ,there is a difference between struggling to covert good start into big scores and struggling for form.And when playing 5 batsmen scoring actual runs is more important than perceived ability to score fast .And its verging on absurd madness when it forces the team to shift their best two players out of their batting position to accommodate Rohit.

All Rohit ability to succeed in ODI has zero impact n his ability to negate moving ball or quality spin.As he regulatory demonstrated by failing in test cricket he doesnt have the technique to play when iin test cricket.

The whole argument is based on the fallacy that Rohit is good in ODI cricket so he will be good in test cricket despite repeatedly showing otherwise.

5 minutes ago, diga said:

If Rohit fails to score big in this test, he may be dropped from the squad for domestic series... thats the only bright thing of playing him in this test :(

he might score in this test and go on the score few hundreds at home and start failing once touring aus/sa/eng again, by that time pujara and vijay will be long gone into history books.

Edited by Vilander
18 minutes ago, Vilander said:

he might score in this test and go on the score few hundreds at home and start failing once touring aus/sa/eng again, by that time pujara and vijay will be long gone into history books.

yep I know.. thats why the sad smiley at the end :(