Personal milestones 'out of our system' - Kohli

vvvslaxman

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

It is a casual statment where he must be speaking something and and said that. It shouldn't have turned into an article and eventually a thread here. 

And since there was so much debate about it, I must mention that there is nothing wrong in what he said. 

If you say something, then you need to walk the talk too, no exceptions. Every captain in the past who worried about personal milestones had solid excuses too

8 minutes ago, New guy said:

If you say something, then you need to walk the talk too, no exceptions. Every captain in the past who worried about personal milestones had solid excuses too

He is doing it. He hasn't done anything against his statement. He backed his bowlers to get them out in one day even after Nair scored 300 and they did it. India won, Nair scored 300 too. Time wasn't waisted. 

I don't see anything to discuss on this. He did brilliant. 

Make NO MISTAKE, Kohli allowing Karun to get his 300 is what secured victory for India imo.

Basically it ensured India would NOT bat again and England would have to score their runs on Day 5.

I get the feeling if England batted for an hour on Day 4, they may have had a lead of around 50-100 runs with India needing to score this in about 5-8 overs, not impossible but unlikely imo.

12 hours ago, Cricketics said:

He is doing it. He hasn't done anything against his statement. He backed his bowlers to get them out in one day even after Nair scored 300 and they did it. India won, Nair scored 300 too. Time wasn't waisted. 

I don't see anything to discuss on this. He did brilliant. 

Bowlers managed to get 10 wicket on relatively flat pitch and you give credit to Kohli for backing them but how does that justifies kohli's declaration decision as soon as Nair hit that four to reach tripple hundred.

7 minutes ago, mishra said:

Bowlers managed to get 10 wicket on relatively flat pitch and you give credit to Kohli for backing them but how does that justifies kohli's declaration decision as soon as Nair hit that four to reach tripple hundred.

1-2 over delay isn't delaying for milestone. For me it is common sense that if a batsman is around 285. I would have him play 2 more overs to allow him toget to 300. That is not impacting the result of the game. If I do not let him, then it is absurd captaincy, where we have played for this long, why not bat few more as it isn't going to impact the game. It is not considered playing for milestones. 

^When the term personal milestone is used, it is a broad statment. In this case, it was to achieve the glory which comes once in a life time for players and for most it never comes. Once 300 came, Kohli thought it is probably enough now to bring England moral's further down by declaring.

Remember, Cook dropping Nair at 34 is part of the history now. Kohli letting Nair make 300 also humbled Cook a bit more than what he had been after our 700 score. 

Good to know .... it was sad to see Kapil's quest for that useless (useless because others bowlers have a higher wkts per inning number) WR, followed by Tendulkar's dumb pursuit of 100 international 100s (which many of his bhakts hilariously equate with a "test" batting avg of 100) 

Quality > Quantity 

Edited by zen

As part of backing Nair up, Kohli was happy to delay the declaration on the fourth evening. "This guy is close to 300 and it doesn't happen every day. It's not like he is taking 10 overs to do it. He was hitting sixes, he was hitting fours, he was getting us a bigger lead. So it was a perfect scenario where he got us to a stage where we couldn't have batted again and at the same time, we had enough overs.

"If the wicket was doing enough, then those overs were good enough. If we have five bowlers, we should be able to knock teams off in 90-plus overs. That's exactly what we did. It's all how you go about that particular situation. The good thing was Karun really stepped it up close to his milestone and he didn't take too long to get there. So it gave us five overs yesterday."

3 hours ago, Sidhoni said:

I think Graeme Smith once declared with ABDV batting on 275+, now that is a system where personal milestones have no place.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-south-africa-2010/engine/current/match/461572.html

It happened in the first innings, when ABDV was 278*, SA had already played 150+ overs and had to get Pak play at the end of D2. This is apples v/s jackfruit comparison. 

Even here, Smith was too early yo declare, I1 you have to bat big. 600+ runs would have been paramount as even to avoid the follow-on you need to score 400+. 

KN was scoring at rate of 100 SR to justify the delay by about 5-6 overs.

Edited by coffee_rules
6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-south-africa-2010/engine/current/match/461572.html

It happened in the first innings, when ABDV was 278*, SA had already played 150+ overs and had to get Pak play at the end of D2. This is apples v/s jackfruit comparison. 

Even here, Smith was too early yo declare, I1 you have to bat big. 600+ runs would have been paramount as even to avoid the follow-on you need to score 400+. 

KN was scoring at rate of 100 SR to justify the delay by about 5-6 overs.

Not talking about the tactical effectiveness again. Its just the fact that his decision making was not affected by a personal milestone.

13 hours ago, zen said:

Good to know .... it was sad to see Kapil's quest for that useless (useless because others bowlers have a higher wkts per inning number) WR, followed by Tendulkar's dumb pursuit of 100 international 100s (which many of his bhakts hilariously equate with a "test" batting avg of 100) 

Quality > Quantity 

So what personnel milestone for example Sehwag was chasing for last 3 years of his career to average whopping 28 against his average of 54 prior to that?