where would u rank Ashwin in pantheon of great Indian spinners.

stats wise Ash is right up there but overall i dont feel he is up there with great 70s quartet n also bhajji n defo not Kumble.

I think Ash has benefitted from rank turners and a gen of batsman who are poor in these conditions. I remember in early 2000s-2010s we dished up a lot of roads in Tests. Post 2011 we have started to dish up rank turners for 80% of home Tests n this has helped Ash a lot. Not to say he cant perform on non spinning tracks but outside SC he looks like a kitten compared to what he is in India especially.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

To be fair to Ashwin, curators made it too easy for him by preparing rank turners. If they had prepared decent wickets, he would have worked harder and perhaps adapted to flatter pitches. He has done the best he could on the pitches he bowled on. In foreign conditions, he is not the type of bowler who will get wickets. You need to impart more revs to get any turn on those surfaces and build some pressure especially in Aus and SA. He could do well in tests in England when the pitches become a bit more drier towards the end of the game.

He should probably never play ODIs though. He is a poor batsman in ODI format, poor fielder and not very effective on batting pitches. 

Edited by kubrickian
3 hours ago, wanted_desi said:

Since i started watching cricket:

Kumble

Bhajji

Ashwin

Bhajji was so right about Rank TUrners, even OZ bowlers out performed him this time.

Bhajji is a chucker, he can say what he wants but I don't want ramblings from a cheater. In spite of his blatant chucking guy had a mediocre career after the initial high of 2001. 

Edited by Gollum
Bhajji is a chucker, he can say what he wants but I don't want ramblings from a cheater. In spite of his blatant chucking guy had a mediocre career after the initial high of 2001. 

if Bhajji was a chucker why was he never banned for chucking.

I never watched the 80s greats live, the Prassana and Bedi and Chandrashekar, so with all due respect to them, Ashwin is right up there ahead of most Indians for me.

If Kohli is already a legend in ODI's for winning us many games, then Ashwin has given us a lot of wins already to be considered as a test great for India.

His batting has been a bonus for us in test and a very good bonus but as a test bowler, he has lifted his skills and went on to win many matches for India already.

I think and I hope he goes on to pick more wickets than Kumble. He is more skillfull than Kumble who also was a brilliant match winner.

I also hope Ashwin becomes a better away test bowler. This is something where Kumble struggled and Ashiwn too has like many other bowlers, but I hope on the coming tours, if given chance, he succeeds. He has great skills but how he uses them is what will matter at the end.

So currently he is a little below Kumble for me but not too far from surpassing him as India's greatest.

I never watched the 80s greats live, the Prassana and Bedi and Chandrashekar, so with all due respect to them, Ashwin is right up there ahead of most Indians for me.

If Kohli is already a legend in ODI's for winning us many games, then Ashwin has given us a lot of wins already to be considered as a test great for India.

His batting has been a bonus for us in test and a very good bonus but as a test bowler, he has lifted his skills and went on to win many matches for India already.

I think and I hope he goes on to pick more wickets than Kumble. He is more skillfull than Kumble who also was a brilliant match winner.

I also hope Ashwin becomes a better away test bowler. This is something where Kumble struggled and Ashiwn too has like many other bowlers, but I hope on the coming tours, if given chance, he succeeds. He has great skills but how he uses them is what will matter at the end.

So currently he is a little below Kumble for me but not too far from surpassing him as India's greatest.

could Kohli n Ashwin be benefitting from playing in a weaker era.

Let's talk about tests because that is the ultimate format in cricket. People can't differentiate Ash's test record from his mediocre ODI record :facepalm:. FFS he won us a series in Lanka and played a great hand in the WI tour. His test record in Oz is bad, but better than other offies like Murali, Swann, Bhajji, Saqlain etc. Can't judge him in NZ(never played) and RSA(1 test) because of low sample size. His record in Eng is decent for a flop side(2014 last 3 tests we were crap), although there again sample size is too low. In India he has been our greatest match winner. The only series he flopped, we lost(Eng 2012) since his debut. His home record has been impressive, we didn't play every test on rank turners as the naysayers will like you to believe. Only in the Aussie home series earlier this year, he was underpar because of sports hernia. But there too like a champ he delivered a famous win in Bengaluru to level the series 1-1 defending 180 odd. His performances against NZ(every single time), Aus(2013), WI, Eng(2016), RSA have been exemplary and many of those matches were played on typical Indian tracks. How many MOS has he won? Highest ever by any Indian in the history of cricket, 6 or 7(can't remember). Why the hate towards Ash the test bowler? He is our undisputed MVP there in 50% of the matches(Indian SC+WI) and the most ruthless wicket taking machine.

For me, since watching cricket

Kumle>Ash>others

If Ash can have 1 decent series in NZ/RSA/Aus/Eng and deliver a great home season performance in 2019-20 swing he will be over Kumble for me. 

Just now, Gollum said:

Let's talk about tests because that is the ultimate format in cricket. People can't differentiate Ash's test record from his mediocre ODI record :facepalm:. FFS he won us a series in Lanka and played a great hand in the WI tour. His test record in Oz is bad, but better than other offies like Murali, Swann, Bhajji, Saqlain etc. Can't judge him in NZ(never played) and RSA(1 test) because of low sample size. His record in Eng is decent for a flop side(2014 last 3 tests we were crap), although there again sample size is too low. In India he has been our greatest match winner. The only series he flopped, we lost(Eng 2012) since his debut. His home record has been impressive, we didn't play every test on rank turners as the naysayers will like you to believe. Only in the Aussie home series earlier this year, he was underpar because of sports hernia. But there too like a champ he delivered a famous win in Bengaluru to level the series 1-1 defending 180 odd. His performances against NZ(every single time), Aus(2013), WI, Eng(2016), RSA have been exemplary and many of those matches were played on typical Indian tracks. How many MOS has he won? Highest ever by any Indian in the history of cricket, 6 or 7(can't remember). Why the hate towards Ash the test bowler? He is our undisputed MVP there in 50% of the matches(Indian SC+WI) and the most ruthless wicket taking machine.

For me, since watching cricket

Kumle>Ash>others

If Ash can have 1 decent series in NZ/RSA/Aus/Eng and deliver a great home season performance in 2019-20 swing he will be over Kumble for me. 

based on recent 1 year  performance in ODIs  ---> in Gutter  

16 minutes ago, Tendu_10 said:

Rules weren't implemented seriously in the 2000s, else him and Murali would have been banned for life. After they started calling out chuckers, he stopped his doosra (Murali retired LOL) and became a toothless bowler. Without a doosra he is a mediocre test bowler. 

Edited by Gollum
8 minutes ago, Tendu_10 said:

could Kohli n Ashwin be benefitting from playing in a weaker era.

It could be, but eventually I do not like comparing eras as I have noticed one thing by playing on poor cricket grounds in usa that your own skills get bad too when you have poor facilities available to you, so in same context, if you are playing against poor quality players like in this era compared to the past era, you still have a challenge where you need to succeed and you are not learning as a bowler as much as you would have learned by bowling to a great like Tendulkar, Dravid or Ponting.

So that said, Yes, I won't compare eras because games were played differently. If it was hard to bowl and score in the past era, then its hard to bowl and and score runs in this era too, its just that its a different challenge.

So if Ashwin went on to take more wickets than Kumble, I will give him that prime status. He deserves it. He has worked hard for it. He bowled and practiced to bowl to the greats of this era.

And guys, I know we have been pathetic in ODIs for a while and the finals loss to Pakistan has pissed off every single Indian fan. But in tests we are still the no 1 side, Kohli the test captain is much better than his LOI self. Similarly Ashwin/Umesh/Rahane/Jaddu/Rahul etc are very good in that format.  In the test format if this Indian unit can focus and stop these tantrums and daily drama shows, they will create history for us in the coming 5 years. 

Edited by Gollum
20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Bhajji was very good till 2005-06. Had 21 fifers in his first 49 tests. He started to regress after that.

Just now, rkt.india said:

Bhajji was very good till 2005-06. Had 21 fifers in his first 49 tests. He started to regress after that.

Mainly because he could chuck his doosras merrily making him a potent strike force. After 2008 ICC became more strict w.r.t chucking and he removed doosra from his arsenal. I hater chuckers, no matter which country they are from. By chucking even a low quality spinner will look unplayable. Have you tried chucking in gully cricket? Notice the spin and disguise you get when you chuck? No wonder Hafeez, Ajmal, Senanayake were so difficult to play before ICC banned them. 

15 minutes ago, Tendu_10 said:

He was not banned but early in his career, was reported for chucking and was dropped from the team. He came back after doing remedial work. Even in the IPL, you can see he chucks once in a while. It is ugly to watch, despite the long sleeves shirt he wears to mask the ugliness. He is capable of taking wickets with a clean action and getting good bounce, but under pressure he reverts to darting it in at pace. 

Kumble

Bedi

Prasanna

Chandra

Venkat

**daylight**

Jadeja (his spell against England on Chennai flat track on 5th day was brutal).

Harbhajan (yes, him. He bowled a good spell in South Africa)

Ashwin (turning track bully. Can't buy a wicket outside India against a tough opposition.