Whats with all the wrist slitting?

G_B_

Yes we lost today and a few things could have been done differently. There is always room for improvement.  A few key players were rested.

But whats with the overreaction. Just sit back and enjoy. Indian cricket is in a good place.

9 ODI's straight. Been reading the Aussie media and they dont seem to be that fussed about the

series loss.

God only knows what 90s Indian cricket fans went through. To the younger crowd your living in a

golden time. Just enjoy it.

Most reasonable fans have a long term outlook in mind and there are some chinks that have shown up that havent been tested yet. Or they have been tested and we have failed. We either fail to set up big totals or chase big totals. We dont have a settled middle order. It's understandable. That CT loss has left a bitter taste. 

I think we were expecting the relative newbies, esp Jadhav and Pandey, to stand up, chase this down and establish themselves as the future of the middle order.  Especially when they had a decent platform.  After the 35th over, we had 117 or so to go with 7 to go and Jadhav/Pandya at the crease.  I had it all sealed and delivered in my mind and was surprised to see they didn't make it.  

1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

I had it all sealed and delivered in my mind and was surprised to see they didn't make it.  

That just how good these guys have been.   Things happen, big chases are hard to pull off.  If Rahane had done 10% better with the balls he ate in the power-play, we would have won with 5/6 wickets.  

I'm actually glad we lost this game.  Can't always expect VK or Pandya to bail us out.   Dhoni aint what he used to be, and Rahane is not capable enough in today's 350 par ODI age.  Harsh but true.    

13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That just how good these guys have been.   Things happen, big chases are hard to pull off.  If Rahane had done 10% better with the balls he ate in the power-play, we would have won with 5/6 wickets.  

I'm actually glad we lost this game.  Can't always expect VK or Pandya to bail us out.   Dhoni aint what he used to be, and Rahane is not capable enough in today's 350 par ODI age.  Harsh but true.    

53(66) is not even good for a 294 run chase let alone 350.

i guess thing about rahane is that he started off extremely well in first 10. Then from overs 10-18 (when he got out) just slowed down. Did not even look for the boundaries. Was content in taking a single of 2 balls faced and nudging it around. Regardless of Rahane (who i am not backing) 10 overs and 95 runs on that deck was very much gettable.

But unlucky as well with the Rohit run out. He was looking set for a big score which would have easily taken us over the line.

Small margins whichever way you look at it.

26 minutes ago, flamy said:

Hopefully, the Pandey chapter is over.

Rahne 53(66), Jadhav 67 (69) << Pandey 33 (25) in this match. Pandey just finished a tricky chase in Indore. Why should he take the fall? Jadhav should be replaced by KLR in the next ODI. He is too old to be in the plan for 2019, he will be 34-35 years in 2019.

Edited by coffee_rules
22 minutes ago, flamy said:

Qualitatively, not convinced with Pandey. Actually, Rahane, Pandey, Jadhav are ? right now.

In what world Rahane is a "?" in ODIs or T20s.  He should be 4th choice opener behind KL Rahul.  Or I'd rather even have Virat open in a pinch, but leave Rahane out of the squad.  Get a Rishabh Pant or Krunal Pandya etc into the lineup instead of a known slowpoke.   

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

In what world Rahane is a "?" in ODIs or T20s.  He should be 4th choice opener behind KL Rahul.  Or I'd rather even have Virat open in a pinch, but leave Rahane out of the squad.  Get a Rishabh Pant or Krunal Pandya etc into the lineup instead of a known slowpoke.   

The ? is a why :)

6 hours ago, G_B_ said:

i guess thing about rahane is that he started off extremely well in first 10. Then from overs 10-18 (when he got out) just slowed down. Did not even look for the boundaries. Was content in taking a single of 2 balls faced and nudging it around. Regardless of Rahane (who i am not backing) 10 overs and 95 runs on that deck was very much gettable.

But unlucky as well with the Rohit run out. He was looking set for a big score which would have easily taken us over the line.

Small margins whichever way you look at it.

you forgot the pitch was slowing down progressively. There is a reason Aussie could not score 360 instead 334. They too struggled post 30-35 overs with slowness of the deck.

26 minutes ago, Khota said:

This thread is a mob mentality. Bowling conceded 300+. Let us blame Rahane. Rahane played pretty well. When bowlers were tired Dhoni hould have done something more meaningful.

No, Rahane did not play pretty well. It was a 350+ track and Rahane could not bat quick enough when it was best for batting with new ball.

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No, Rahane did not play pretty well. It was a 350+ track and Rahane could not bat quick enough when it was best for batting with new ball.

Could have lost three or four wkts in a hurry too. He left a solid foundation and then rest of the team screwed it up. It is not that easy to chase 325+ against Australia. Rahane did his part.

Here's another somewhat jazbaati thought.  For me personally, if we were up 3-0 against WI, NZ, SA, SL, BD, ZM or AFG, and lost the 4th match, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But against AUS, PAK and ENG?  I want them crushed every damn time we play them.  I may even develop a bit of softitude for ENG and PAK after 20 wins, but against the bloody Ozzies, even 500-0 is not satisfying until it is 501-0.  For all their shenanigans over the years, peaking with SPDS' brainfade, they deserve nothing but annihilation against India - every time.

Edited by Brainfade
9 hours ago, Khota said:

This thread is a mob mentality. Bowling conceded 300+. Let us blame Rahane. Rahane played pretty well. When bowlers were tired Dhoni hould have done something more meaningful.

Conceding 300+ on a track like this, with the short boundaries is not a crime.  In fact the bowlers did well to keep it below 350.  Your evaluation is out of date with today's ODI scoring patterns.