If both are in peak form - would you pick Irfan Pathan vs Hardik Pandya ?

fineleg

If both are in their respective peak forms - and you could pick only one (theoretical constraint)

Would you pick Irfan Pathan or Hardik Pandya as - ODI allrounder? What abt Test allrounder?

(Assume both are at their very best)

Edited by fineleg

Pathan was a proper bowler who could bat a bit and was made to concentrate in his batting to become an alrounder unfortunately his bowling regressed and he lost the way. Pandya is a good bowler who can be your 5th bowler or open in loi. He is a good lower order bat who can accelerate meaning he is a geneuin alrounder so in theory Pathan could have hit some legendary peak on a very good batting day like 5 wkts and say 100 runs But would be a normal bowler with 2 wkts and 5 to 10 runs on most good days, but pandya will give you many 3 wkts and 60 runs days or fail as well. So its difficult to compare, but if you need balance in the side Pandya is the way to go if you have a peak pathan then it means you have a some one like a contemporary bhuvi with substantial improvement in batting, thats handy in a different sense, but they would have to get selected for their bowling. So Pandya is an allrounders selection and Pathan would be a bowlers selection.

Edited by Vilander
1 hour ago, King Tendulkar said:

Crapthan was never an all rounder . His batting same level as Stuart broad . Crapthan wielded bat like chopping trees down 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14141/scorecard/291353/Australia-vs-India-3rd-Test-border-gavaskar-trophy/

some of you guys have such short memories, Pathan was a genuine test bat with a solid technique. Mark Taylor was amazed on commentary (above game) about how accomplished Pathan looked as a batsmen. 

Edited by mancalledsting
42 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14141/scorecard/291353/Australia-vs-India-3rd-Test-border-gavaskar-trophy/

some of you guys have such short memories, Pathan was a genuine test bat with a solid technique. Mark Taylor was amazed on commentary (above game) about how accomplished Pathan looked as a batsmen. 

pathan was very solid. for me, the real comparison is not with pandya but with bhuvi. I rate pathan as the better bat (and fielder) and current BK as the better bowler in Tests. Overall, given peak Pathan, I would choose him marginally over BK.

For LOIs I'd pick Pandya over Pathan if both are at their peak.Though both are diff...one is a batting allrounder and other was a bowling allrounder. For tests I'd not compare as Pandya needs to prove himself there both at home and away conditions. His test will begin from SA tour.I'd ideally want Pandya at 7 and Pathan at 8 if they are at their peak and I can pick both.

Edited by ShebbySB
8 minutes ago, ShebbySB said:

For LOIs I'd pick Pandya over Pathan if both are at their peak.Though both are diff...one is a batting allrounder and other was a bowling allrounder. For tests I'd not compare as Pandya needs to prove himself there both at home and away conditions. His test will begin from SA tour.I'd ideally want Pandya at 7 and Pathan at 8 if they are at their peak and I can pick both.

that would be a good lineup outside SC if both are their peak.

3 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

The way people hyping crapthan here is incredible . Failed player frankly . Why people saying great to have a Pathan Thule player is incredible 

what next ? Shame we have no kaif or Stuart binny 

Don't base ur judgement for other then cricket, bias n muddled hatred for reasons other then cricket

Yeah that's right, between them, what would Rahul Dravid and Greg Chappell know about the qualities required of a good batsmen? Pathan suffered because we ran him into the ground and didn't manage his workload. We also placed the too many expectations on him and didn't allow him a chance to gore out of that spotlight. Hardik and Kohli both got that chanceS Hence, as per my previous posts we shouldn't bat Pandya higher than 5 or trundling will begin. Today  Pandya was bowling in high 70s, low 80s today, fatigue is already creeping in. 

Irfan Pathan had a good technique along with power, he played fast bowlers pretty well, for me he was among the few good BATSMEN we had for overseas.

The way his career ended was a mystery , also sad was his career coincided with Dhonis captaincy and he destroys bowlers confidence, also injury and changes in his action took it's toll.

Think V Shankar can be a decent allrounder as well batting wise he is among the top batters in Domestic ,game wise, bowling is decent and can only improve, he can move the ball n gets bounce.

24 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Irfan Pathan had a good technique along with power, he played fast bowlers pretty well, for me he was among the few good BATSMEN we had for overseas.

The way his career ended was a mystery , also sad was his career coincided with Dhonis captaincy and he destroys bowlers confidence, also injury and changes in his action took it's toll.

Think V Shankar can be a decent allrounder as well batting wise he is among the top batters in Domestic ,game wise, bowling is decent and can only improve, he can move the ball n gets bounce.

Patgan was a good bat but he was mostly an off side batsman. Technique was okay but his downfall came when he changed his action, too much tinkering after injuries and he lost his original action completely.

Edited by rkt.india