Was Sehwag unfortunate to not get as many chances as his peers?

Looking at the way we are giving ample chances to players like Yuvraj, Nehra, Ishant or even Dhoni, one wonders if Sehwag's career was cut too short too early. I dont think he was in any poorer form compared to the players mentioned above. If Sehwag in 2012 (when got discarded) got more opportunities like we are giving to Yuvi/MSD etc. now, who knows he might have had another stint with team India. At least could have continued in T20s.

For me Sehwag was one our greatest batsman ever and I think we let him go too early citing age.

Good thread, I would say yes, he was unfortunate not only him but gambhir too, today with inconsistent dhawan, maharaj Rohit taking his own time and tuk tuk rahane its sehwag esque opening batsman we are missing the most, he was an unfortunate coz dhonis favoritism for csk players/boot lickers was at its peak back then hence both gambo and sehwagh missed ou. Raina is going through same treatment at the moment, these kohlis fitness madness should be stopped and raina should be given the chance over failures like jadhav.

13 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Good thread, I would say yes, he was unfortunate not only him but gambhir too, today with inconsistent dhawan, maharaj Rohit taking his own time and tuk tuk rahane its sehwag esque opening batsman we are missing the most, he was an unfortunate coz dhonis favoritism for csk players/boot lickers was at its peak back then hence both gambo and sehwagh missed ou. Raina is going through same treatment at the moment, these kohlis fitness madness should be stopped and raina should be given the chance over failures like jadhav.

Even if Raina is not able to pass Yo Yo test, he will be equally good fielder on par with like of Manish Pandey or Virat plus a good lower middle order batsman. 

Sehwag's decline started in late 2010 and I think he was given a decent enough run before being dropped. Wish it had happened a couple of Tests earlier and he had ended up with a Test average of 50+. I remember him looking absolutely village in the Aane do series where he played a bizarre one handed walking cover drive to an incoming delivery :giggle:. I do however believe that he didn't stink up the joint as much as SRT in 2012 or UV in the last 3-4 years or even Dhoni in 2016. So I guess it's more reasonable to say that the others should've been dumped earlier rather than Sehwag deserving a longer run.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Sehwag's decline started in late 2010 and I think he was given a decent enough run before being dropped. Wish it had happened a couple of Tests earlier and he had ended up with a Test average of 50+. I remember him looking absolutely village in the Aane do series where he played a bizarre one handed walking cover drive to an incoming delivery :giggle:. I do however believe that he didn't stink up the joint as much as SRT in 2012 or UV in the last 3-4 years or even Dhoni in 2016. So I guess it's more reasonable to say that the others should've been dumped earlier rather than Sehwag deserving a longer run.

What 2010? Sehwag was in beastly form in WC 2011

1 hour ago, speedheat said:

Gambhir was struggling in both formats for quite some time. 

Didn't score a test 100 for almost 3 yers and was averaging in 20s in ODIs against all countries except Lanka.

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

What 2010? Sehwag was in beastly form in WC 2011

His decline started in the late 2010 when he had a surprisingly poor series at home vs Australia averaging 28. Couple of months later he had another disappointing series in SA averaging 24. He had a decent enough WC overall but almost half of his runs in the tournament were scored in that knock against the Bangladeshs. That was followed by a ill-advised mid-series return in England where he scored a king pair and averaged 10 in 2 Tests! He did well vs WI at home but had his first ever bad tour of Australia averaging less than 25 in Tests and 13 in ODIs. He then had a poor season at home averaging less than 30 in 8 Tests against NZ/ENG/AUS. His average had dropped from nearly 54 in late 2010 to less than 50. And in ODIs, he had only 2 50+ scores in 15 innings after the 2011 WC (one of them being the double vs WI). No wonder he was dropped from both formats.      

Edited by Jimmy Cliff

2 wrongs don't make a right...Sehwag was dropped at the right time and kudos to Sehwag as well for seeing the writing on the wall and calling it a day....it has been a travesty with Dhoni,Nehra,Karthik,Yuvraj etc etc getting multiple shots based on previous reputation...Sehwag is not unlucky, we the fans are unlucky that there are so many power games and politics with these selections.

Edited by maniac
2 hours ago, puneet28 said:

Even if Raina is not able to pass Yo Yo test, he will be equally good fielder on par with like of Manish Pandey or Virat plus a good lower middle order batsman. 

what's the use if he cant score runs. The reason he was dropped was not fitness but lack of runs.

Gambhir was struggling in both formats for quite some time. 

Didn't score a test 100 for almost 3 yers and was averaging in 20s in ODIs against all countries except Lanka.

See gambhir was a big match player always delivered when it mattered, he was doing well in IPL to show he is still a clutch player we should have persisted with the player of that caliber.
4 minutes ago, speedheat said:

See gambhir was a big match player always delivered when it mattered, he was doing well in IPL to show he is still a clutch player we should have persisted with the player of that caliber.

SRT has been our best opener. Should we recall him now? Thing is his days were over. No matter what someone does in past, averaging in 20s is clear indication of that. Apart from that it's just your Dhoni hate, which makes you think that Dhawan and Rohit are poorer than Gambhir and Sehwag in that kind of poor run.

IPL performance has nothing to do with ODI performances when ODI performances are going down drain for years.

SRT has been our best opener. Should we recall him now? Thing is his days were over. No matter what someone does in past, averaging in 20s is clear indication of that. Apart from that it's just your Dhoni hate, which makes you think that Dhawan and Rohit are poorer than Gambhir and Sehwag in that kind of poor run.

IPL performance has nothing to do with ODI performances when ODI performances are going down drain for years.

SRT?? Why?? His career is long gone over and so as gambhirs, I don't want gambir back now I was speaking about 2012/2013 with gambir still having fuel left in him, I am OK with Rohit and dhawan my debate was gambir against murli Vijay and csk quota, if IPL performance has nothing to do with Odis than why your captain cool filled Indian team with cskians vijay, ashwin,mohit,jaddu based on IPL performance???
8 minutes ago, speedheat said:

SRT?? Why?? His career is long gone over and so as gambhirs, I don't want gambir back now I was speaking about 2012/2013 with gambir still having fuel left in him, I am OK with Rohit and dhawan my debate was gambir against murli Vijay and csk quota, if IPL performance has nothing to do with Odis than why your captain cool filled Indian team with cskians vijay, ashwin,mohit,jaddu based on IPL performance???

they all had domestic performance to go with IPL performance too. In fact, Mohit was picked by CSK after he had a great ranji trophy season.   

1 hour ago, maniac said:

2 wrongs don't make a right...Sehwag was dropped at the right time and kudos to Sehwag as well for seeing the writing on the wall and calling it a day....it has been a travesty with Dhoni,Nehra,Karthik,Yuvraj etc etc getting multiple shots based on previous reputation...Sehwag is not unlucky, we the fans are unlucky that there are so many power games and politics with these selections.

Don't forget about Dhoni's spearhead who has been recycled again for the umpteenth time...

Image result for ishant sharma and dhoni