Whether Virat Kohli overtook Sachin as the test batsmen ??

velu

In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not there yet

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

Avg, runs and centuries are lot of things. Any batsman with 2nd most 100s and 55+ avg will be ATG at that point irrespective of everything else.

overall ranking is the best indicator which includes all or most of all  .. kohli 900++ 

I'm a VK fan but I don't think he's there yet. He may have the same or more impact on the opposition but 51 Test centuries, 15K runs against really great bowlers is no joke. VK will definitely surpass SRT by the end of his career is what I'd like to think. 

PS : I rate Dravid higher than Sachin in tests. 

16 minutes ago, BlueBee said:

I'm a VK fan but I don't think he's there yet. He may have the same or more impact on the opposition but 51 Test centuries, 15K runs against really great bowlers is no joke. VK will definitely surpass SRT by the end of his career is what I'd like to think. 

PS : I rate Dravid higher than Sachin in tests. 

For what? Dravid wasn't even close to SRT in tests.

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

Depends on whether batsman peak is considered as just 1 good year or a span of 4-5 good years?

Which one do you prefer to use?

i prefer the  batsmen or bowlers peak ranking even if its for a day ..

I am  slowly tilting in the favor of Kohli. There is literally a gulf now between the batsmen Sachin played along with and the morons who bat alongside Kohli.

Anyways keeping stats aside, I have not seen a fully assured Kohli innings at the test level yet especially in difficult conditions. A lot of his good 100's except maybe his 1st one in South Africa have been somewhat fidgety innings with a lot of luck involved initially where as Sachin played a lot of chance less 100's in such conditions where he tore apart some great bowling.

Visually though I would have to go with Sachin purely on quality of some of his knocks.Kohli is slowly catching up though thanks to the hopeless morons who play along with him. Partially his fault,so that kind of negates that.

7 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

I am  slowly tilting in the favor of Kohli. There is literally a gulf now between the batsmen Sachin played along with and the morons who bat alongside Kohli.

Anyways keeping stats aside, I have not seen a fully assured Kohli innings at the test level yet especially in difficult conditions. A lot of his good 100's except maybe his 1st one in South Africa have been somewhat fidgety innings with a lot of luck involved initially where as Sachin played a lot of chance less 100's in such conditions where he tore apart some great bowling.

Visually though I would have to go with Sachin purely on quality of some of his knocks.Kohli is slowly catching up though thanks to the hopeless morons who play along with him. Partially his fault,so that kind of negates that.

ok.. @maniac :icflove:

There is no doubt that SRT came into international cricket with more potential than Kohli. He was termed Bradmanesque even before his debut. Did he live up to that lofty expectation? Did he stand above the rest of the crowd like Bradman did over his peers? No. He is a modern day great, no doubt (although he tarnished some of that legacy by sticking around after WC 2011), but he definitely underachieved in terms of totally dominating his peers (he did this in spurts) and being the MVP of the team. 

Sachin started playing tests when he was 16 going on 17. Virat debuted when he was 22 going on 23. That is six years of international cricket more for Sachin. Surely, he would have more centuries and more runs. Also, SRT made an immediate impact in terms of scoring runs, while Virat working his way up. There is no question that Sachin had more talent than Kohli in terms of technique, array of shots, etc. However, where Kohli excels is his value to the team, to step up when needed, the fierce attitude, the grit. And he is a learner. I have no doubt that by the time he hangs up (he can easily play another 10 years with his physical conditioning), he will be a ATG and he will definitely be the best MVP Indian cricket has ever had. 

56 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Tendulkar grossly underachieved in the 90s. I mean against touring England side/sl side he should have scored like 700 runs in 3 tests. The concentration lapses of Sachin was quiet inexplicable. From the very first ball he would find the middle of the bat then all of a sudden he will play a daft shot.

Despite the lapses in concentration, he still averaged 58 in the 1990s (and 52.2 after the 90s). 

the audacity to compare  a proven legend  who scored  over 13500(still  larger than the 2nd best Ponting)  runs at 59.35 facing several sub 25 bowlers in general  & facing much higher pressure of expectations in general & that too with 44.6+ avg: in all countries during this time span  to  a talented  youngster who has barely touched 6000 runs. 'Foolishness' is the single word that  comes to mind.

12 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

the audacity to compare  a proven legend  who scored  over 13500(still  larger than the 2nd best Ponting)  runs at 59.35 facing several sub 25 bowlers in general  & facing much higher pressure of expectations in general & that too with 44.6+ avg: in all countries during this time span  to  a talented  youngster who has barely touched 6000 runs. 'Foolishness' is the single word that  comes to mind.

What sub25 bowlers did Sachin face and did well??? Give me one innings where Sachin was as dominant as Kohli has shown from both sides away from India???

where is this 59.35 coming from???? 

29 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What sub25 bowlers did Sachin face and did well??? Give me one innings where Sachin was as dominant as Kohli has shown from both sides away from India???

No one dominates ATG bowlers. SRT faced sub-25 bowlers and scored multiple 100s.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16126/scorecard/63737/south-africa-vs-india-2nd-test-india-tour-of-south-africa-1996-97/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15465/scorecard/63951/south-africa-vs-india-1st-test-india-tour-of-south-africa-2001-02/

7 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Kohli has surpasses Sachin as batsman I'm all formats of the game 

Also Dravid was a better test batsman than selfish tendulkar and MSD a better ODI batsman than Tendy 

Overall tendulkar is not a top 3 indian test or ODI player

Bhai mere. Aapako Halawa pasand hai. Hamako Chamacham. Ab aap bolo halawa badhiya hai Cham cham se. Kaise maaanegaa koyee.

31 minutes ago, putrevus said:

first of all , I think it is a waste of effort to discuss with you w.r.t this matter ....sorry to say this because I still remember clearly the discussions  with you wrt this matter.The nature of your argument is  like this.Show me "this and that etc etc "  when you yourself has the net facility to check about that.To be frank, it is some sort of irritating to say the least.

Secondly , even if you are shown with crystal clear data, you will change you goal post and  put forward another criteria and ask to show me 'this and that ....'. This happend several times in the last discussion with you.This is just arguing for the sake of argument and nothing else.... 

And for only one worth question in your post.... from 1993 jan 29  - 2011 apr where he scored 13534 runs @ 59.35 avg: - just fetch for yourself