Sign in to follow this  
Trichromatic

20 years back, on this day - Tendulkar outwits Warne

It's rare enough that in the middle of the fourth day a Test match is evenly poised. To then have one team's champion facing his opposite number with the game hanging by a thread is heaven for a cricket fan.

That's the way it happened in Chennai in 1998.

Sachin Tendulkar was facing Shane Warne with India and Australia both battling for supremacy. The defining moment came just after lunch, when Warne went round the wicket with Tendulkar having just passed his fifty.

In the lead up to the Test, Tendulkar had approached former Indian allrounder Ravi Shastri and asked for advice on what to do when Warne adopted this ploy. Shastri told Tendulkar: "You must find an attacking method to combat Warne when he comes round the wicket."

Tendulkar then spent four days in the nets with a spot outside leg stump scuffed and former Indian leggie L Sivaramakrishnan bowling round the wicket into the footmarks.

When Warne made his move round the wicket, Tendulkar took to his offerings like a kid offered a lolly-shop gift voucher. A brace of sixes and fours from lofted sweep/pull shots to the midwicket region convinced Warne to abort this tactic. Tendulkar's preparatory work had proved to be a masterstroke.

Tendulkar won the battle and India went on to win the war by 179, just a few runs in excess of the maestro's second innings contribution of 155 not out.

This was a battle of the champions to savour.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/419065.html

14 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Feel so old,watched the carnage live,great days of only ESPN star sports 

Same. Can't believe it's been 20 years already. Back then ESPN also showed the highlights of the Mumbai vs Australia warmup game where SRT got his 1st FC 200. Don't think that is available any where online.

7 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Didn't Sachin smash Warne around in a warm-up game which Aussies had vs Mumbai before the test match? I think that onslaught set the template for the rest of series. 

Yep. Brief footage of that game in this video from the 2:00 min. mark. Predictably it's SRT smacking Warne over mid-wicket for a six :phehe:

Such a lovely innings. The build up to the whole series was around Warne Vs Sachin and if I am not wrong Warne got sachin cheaply in first innings so in second innings pressure was on Sachin as the match was also evenly poised when he walked in. Sachin played a great knock and set the tone perfectly for rest of the series

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Yep. Brief footage of that game in this video from the 2:00 min. mark. Predictably it's SRT smacking Warne over mid-wicket for a six :phehe:

Found a nice article about that match.

The atmosphere was a lot different 17 years ago when the Brabourne Stadium was preparing to play host to Australia’s warm-up match against a power-packed Mumbai outfit. It was February 1998, and CCI was agog with anticipation. Unlike now it wasn’t a pointless two-day affair, lacking in intensity and relevance, considering that it will see all 15 members from both squads getting involved at some point. It was instead an epic encounter that set up the series, not to forget the tantalising duel between Sachin Tendulkar and Shane Warne.

You ask Nilesh Kulkarni, who had just broken into the India Test team back then, about ‘that’ match and his first response is, “Oh wow!” before he recalls the buzz to have been akin to an international match despite the focus being on the Tendulkar v Warne battle.

“We were put up at the CCI itself, and whether we went for lunch or dinner, all the members would talk about is the Mumbai-Australia match. They would keep telling us, ‘this is a big match for Mumbai and India’ and you have to win it for the country’s sake. Even the practice sessions used to be witnessed by packed stands,” he says. “The Australian team was living in a hotel, so there wasn’t much interaction. Sachin and Warne actually met during practice once, and we all just stood watching the two in awe,” adds Kulkarni.

It was a period when under Mark Taylor Australia had commenced their journey towards becoming an indomitable force and they looked armed to pull off a major coup in defeating India on their own soil. That is, before Tendulkar destroyed Warne at CCI with a breath-taking 204 not out off 192 balls — his maiden first-class double ton — to establish the precedent for India pummelling the men from Down Under in the three-match Test series. But Mumbai had taken the fight to the Aussies much before Tendulkar even walked out to the crease.

Taking the Aussies head-on

“It was a power-packed Mumbai team with Sachin, Sanjay Manjrekar (in his last first-class match) and a bunch of us seasoned guys. Before we walked out to field on Day One, Sachin and Sanjay kept insisting that we have to take them head-on and never let them get on top. Our fast bowlers made that happen before Amit Pagnis jumped out his crease at Warne in his first spell,” recalls Kulkarni.

Pagnis, a pugnacious young opener still earning his grade for Mumbai, went after the Australian leg-spinning genius from the word go, smashing him for two fours over mid-on during his aggressive 50.

“He was sensational and by the time Sachin walked out to the crease, Brabourne was completely packed and the noise was crazy. He just took Warne apart, and we were just awe-struck. He never bowled around the wicket—like he would in the Tests—but still Sachin hit him for two slog-sweep sixes. It was a knock where he really started using that shot,” says Kulkarni.

The beanpole left-arm spinner would then all but seal the match by spinning out Australia for 135 in their second innings with figures of 5/23, despite finding out that he had been dropped from the Indian Test squad the same day. But it’s the scene at the ground that Kulkarni remembers most vividly.

“Even after Sachin left, the crowd stayed back and I don’t remember being cheered so wildly while playing for Mumbai. Every wicket created a din, especially after I got Ricky Ponting out for a second time in the match, and the Aussies were feeling the heat,” says Kulkarni.

Amid all these big names, there was the unassuming Rajesh Suttar, who was experiencing his most memorable day at cricket. His is a charming story of a boy who would leave home at 3.30 am from a small village to catch a train and travel 100 kms to Azad Maidan in Mumbai to play cricket. And if it was not for Sachin Tendulkar, he would not have played in that game. He was dropped from the Ranji team before that but two days before the start the Mumbai captain called Suttar aside for a chat. “Raju, aap na khulke maarna. Australia are No.1 team and they will try to show it, you don’t panic. Play your own game, if you want to hit the first ball, then hit, don’t think about it. Mein sambhal lega.”

And that’s exactly what Suttar did. By the time he walked out to the middle to meet Tendulkar, Mumbai were whistling along at 313 for 5. Suttar recalls Tendulkar not only putting him at ease but also remembers how he was awed by the legend’s predictions. “Almost every ball, he would say it would be a top-spinner, or this and that. He just knew what they were going to bowl. I started to go for my shots.”

‘Will kill you with gaze’

“The great memory from that game was that I hit Warne for five of my six fours. I also hit the offspinner Gavin Robertson for a six (seedha, sar ke upar!) but it was the fours against Warne that I am proud to recall even now. And best thing was Tendulkar had told me, ‘Khunnus dikhayega vo, aur ball aisa ghirayega, you just keep playing.’”

At one point Tendulkar had told him to watch out for the flipper and when it happened next ball as predicted, Suttar carved it away to the boundary. And just as Tendulkar had warned, Warne had started walking towards him. “He pushed up his left-sleeve with his right hand and said something like f***ing mate! And started staring. Tendulkar had told me that, “aankh mey aankh dalega and gaali dega, tum nazar hata dena, otherwise nazar sey hi maar dega! (He will fix his glare on you and abuse you, you avert his gaze, else he will kill you with his gaze only!) I was curious after all that and started to watch Warne — and his eyes did start to drill into mine, and I quickly turned my eyes away and walked away!”

Suttar also took three wickets in that game — two in the first innings in eight overs and one in the second. It’s the second-innings dismissal of Darren Lehmann that he recalls with a hearty chuckle. “Look, all my career people used to say I never really spun my deliveries much. And I still joke, in my lifetime I only spun one ball and that was the one I got Lehmann with! And he was stumped, jumping out at me.”

Like Kulkarni, Suttar recalls the full house in the stadium and the champagne that flowed in the dressing room after the victory.

“I’d come from a village called Chinchani in Tarapur which no-one had heard of, but I got to experience that great day in my cricketing life when I hit Warne for five fours, and batted with Tendulkar. I might not have played for India but that day was the closest I ever got to feeling what it could be like playing for India. What more can I ask for?”

Hopefully one of the 15 who turn up for BP XI, will have a Suttar story to tell in years to come, even if the two-day affair is not designed to be competitive or see the CCI reverberate with excitement.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/warmup-doesnt-warm-fans-up-like-it-did-in-1998/

Like everything with Sachin ..this too is a extraordinary hype along with that Sharjah " storm legend " against a shitty Australian attack ( Tom Moody, Steve Waugh, Kasprowicz, Fleming...and shoulder operated half wit Warne)

Sidhu was the one that started destroying Warne before Sachin.  And anything that Sachin has done over the years against Warne or any other spinner - Sehwag has been his daddy.

Saqlain at his prime had Sachin's number and Sachin never really dominated Murali, only Warne he dominated. 

Sachin struggled to even thrash out Ashley Giles.

Every one of these bowlers Sehwag has destroyed. 

Remember how every single Indian batter struggled against Ajantha Mendis when he was knew - only Sehwag destroyed him - as usual.

It is insane how undue *ing credit Sachin gets...whereas people who have outdone him dont even get 5 % of the credit.

These are the same idiotic Sachin fans ..who get orgasms because Sachin hit a mediocre Zimbabwe seamer Olanga on Sharjah pattas. Such low *ing standards.

1 hour ago, narenpande1 said:

Like everything with Sachin ..this too is a extraordinary hype along with that Sharjah " storm legend " against a shitty Australian attack ( Tom Moody, Steve Waugh, Kasprowicz, Fleming...and shoulder operated half wit Warne)

Sidhu was the one that started destroying Warne before Sachin.  And anything that Sachin has done over the years against Warne or any other spinner - Sehwag has been his daddy.

Saqlain at his prime had Sachin's number and Sachin never really dominated Murali, only Warne he dominated. 

Sachin struggled to even thrash out Ashley Giles.

Every one of these bowlers Sehwag has destroyed. 

Remember how every single Indian batter struggled against Ajantha Mendis when he was knew - only Sehwag destroyed him - as usual.

It is insane how undue *ing credit Sachin gets...whereas people who have outdone him dont even get 5 % of the credit.

These are the same idiotic Sachin fans ..who get orgasms because Sachin hit a mediocre Zimbabwe seamer Olanga on Sharjah pattas. Such low *ing standards.

And the reverse holds true as well... Sachin never went out of form in his life. It's just that he had that back surgery in 1999, tennis elbow , hairline fractures between 2000 till 2007.  Success of Saqlain McGrath counts zilch.

23 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

And the reverse holds true as well... Sachin never went out of form in his life. It's just that he had that back surgery in 1999, tennis elbow , hairline fractures between 2000 till 2007.  Success of Saqlain McGrath counts zilch.

Other cricketers are human beings too..they too go through injuries, pain, family issues. Sachin is not the only one/

Mcgrath has OWNED Sachin in every big match, every big world cup. Sachin flourished against Australia when Mcgrath was missing, when Mcgrath played, he almost always got him in the big moments and Mcgrath has dominated Sachin entirely.

2 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

Other cricketers are human beings too..they too go through injuries, pain, family issues. Sachin is not the only one/

Mcgrath has OWNED Sachin in every big match, every big world cup. Sachin flourished against Australia when Mcgrath was missing, when Mcgrath played, he almost always got him in the big moments and Mcgrath has dominated Sachin entirely.

Every big match? List all those matches. Which world cup was small? 

Good old days! Remember watching this match with my father who was still alive then. Warne was such a big deal for India, the newspapers carried articles on his diet and I remember when the Aussie arrived in Jamshedpur, the chef of the local 5 star hotel was interviewed. He had made some special beans for him!

Sidhu is often forgotten but he had a big role to play too. 

4 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Good old days! Remember watching this match with my father who was still alive then. Warne was such a big deal for India, the newspapers carried articles on his diet and I remember when the Aussie arrived in Jamshedpur, the chef of the local 5 star hotel was interviewed. He had made some special beans for him!

Sidhu is often forgotten but he had a big role to play too. 

Yep. Back then it was a keenly anticipated contest between one of the best batsmen in the world and the best spinner in the world where SRT won comfortably and established himself as the best batsman in the world. Couple of decades down the line a few jaahils online will tell you that series doesn't count because McGrath didn't play :phehe:.

In the lead up to the Test, Tendulkar had approached former Indian allrounder Ravi Shastri and asked for advice on what to do when Warne adopted this ploy. Shastri told Tendulkar: "You must find an attacking method to combat Warne when he comes round the wicket."

seriosuly doubt that .. shastri might have asked sachin to come down the track and defend it with a straight bat :rotfl: 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Yep. Back then it was a keenly anticipated contest between one of the best batsmen in the world and the best spinner in the world where SRT won comfortably and established himself as the best batsman in the world. Couple of decades down the line a few jaahils online will tell you that series doesn't count because McGrath didn't play :phehe:.

Had people watched the matches, they would know that  Kasprowitch wasnt a push over at all. I think he was joined by Damien Fleming who was a man possessed. So it wasnt as if the fast bowling deptt was bad.  

11 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Had people watched the matches, they would know that  Kasprowitch wasnt a push over at all. I think he was joined by Damien Fleming who was a man possessed. So it wasnt as if the fast bowling deptt was bad.  

It's better to ignore jaahils who haven't even seen sachin live in the 90s, there is no point arguing with dimwits, sachin dominated mcgrath in 96 world cup, sachin dominated mcgrath in 2000 nairobi champs trophy, but according to some dimwits mcgrath dominated sachin in every big match lol

14 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Kasper bowled superbly in Bangalore to help Australia win the dead rubber. And Damien Fleming was an elite ODI bowler full stop. IIRC in the 90s, he had a better avg/SR in ODIs than McGrath and Ambrose.

12 minutes ago, kira said:

It's better to ignore jaahils who haven't even seen sachin live in the 90s, there is no point arguing with dimwits, sachin dominated mcgrath in 96 world cup, sachin dominated mcgrath in 2000 nairobi champs trophy, but according to some dimwits mcgrath dominated sachin in every big match lol

Come on, the 1996 WC was a small WC and the ICC KO game in Nairobi was just a run of the mill ODI. Similarly the series decider in the 2001 BG Trophy was another not so big game where where Sachin accumulated his way to a tuk tuk hundred and selfishly top scored in India's victory. Or may be the great McGrath didn't consider it a big enough game :hysterical:.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Kasper bowled superbly in Bangalore to help Australia win the dead rubber. And Damien Fleming was an elite ODI bowler full stop. IIRC in the 90s, he had a better avg/SR in ODIs than McGrath and Ambrose.

Fleming bowled like a man possessed in the ODI series. He was outright dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, kira said:

As expected, this jaahil gawaar showing his true aukaat, hope the mode clean this trash and throw this garbage out of ICF

Cant respond to facts and starts abusing...typical parrot brained loser.

Edited by narenpande1

Sadly for someone hailed as the modern day Bradman, and the next best thing since sliced bread, these moments were few and between in his illustratious, but definitely nowhere near Bradmanesque career!!

10 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

Brillant stat to shut down sachin chamchas..Imagine if he faced Johnson and Starc at their peak instead of some zim joker he bashed :giggle: 

46 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Brillant stat to shut down sachin chamchas..Imagine if he faced Johnson and Starc at their peak instead of some zim joker he bashed :giggle: 

Akhtar and Lee were faster than both of them.

And you don't have to imagine him facing Johnson at peak.

12 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=default;player_involve=2101;template=results;type=batting

Beta , this is Sachin in ODIS where Mcgrath played. As expected he was OWNED in most of the BIG games  which you can also find by scrolling down on the link...WC, Finals ETC...

Anybody who has seen cricket without being a blind bhakt would know that when pitted against Mcgrath

Sachin got owned almost always. And these stats prove what I always knew...

I know this sort of analysis is beyond the intellect of a dehati, 2 kaudi ka gali galoch dene wana gutter ka @kira

But take this and shove it up your.....

These type of filtrations can be done to any batsman  to belittle that batsman.Any way an  avg: of 36 @ 91.5 from that era is 'not ownage'  by any means. And to add to that, some sense less   words like 'Sachin got owned almost always' which is far from truth.All in all, does not take off even a bit from Sachin's brilliance as a  legendary batsman.

Edited by rtmohanlal

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

These type of filtrations can be done to any batsman  to belittle that batsman.Any way an  avg: of 36 @ 91.5 from that era is 'not ownage'  by any means. And to add to that, some sense less   words like 'Sachin got owned almost always' which is far from truth.All in all, does not take off even a bit from Sachin's brilliance as a  legendary batsman.

This is no ordinary filtration.

McGrath is the greatest pace bowler in the last 20 years - he raises his game in big matches. Check out his record in knockouts and finals. And he inadvertently gets the top player of the opposition side out in big games - there may be exceptions but Sachin is not an exception.

Sachins average against Australia in both ODIs and tests with and without McGrath - huge difference. 

it is also a fact that apart from Warne there is not a single great bowler on whom Tendulkar has been able to impose himself consistently.

why is the talk never on how Sachin dominated Murali - the other great spinner of his era - because he never has.

Lara has destroyed both  Warne and Murali 

( Murali in his own den ), with devastating consistent step out hits and HUGE tons in Lanka dominating Murali big time 

In a god damn 25 year old career over 450 ODIS all sachin Bhakts can remember his 3-4 memorable match winning knocks. Sharjah storm, olanga, and the 2003 WC against Pak. Keep salivating and orgasming  on this all your lives.

Sachin even at his very best in the 90s lacked the ruthless match winning ability and consistency of Kohli and ability to finish off games  - Kohli has  easily surpassed him many times over.

as a test player it can be argued that sangakkara and Kallis have surpassed him in consistency all round the world with their averages and runs. Tendulkars greater number of runs is just because he stretched his career to an unprecendeted  200 test matches - rather than being a truely stand out quality 

Many players in the 2000s have had long purple patches where they have outdone Sachin’s best purple matches - namely Ponting, Kallis and Sangakkara in the 2000s.

For someone so hyped - he has never stood out of the league. He is just one among the many greats of his era. 

Edited by narenpande1

15 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

McGrath is the greatest pace bowler in the last 20 years - he raises his game in big matches. Check out his record in knockouts and finals. And he inadvertently gets the top player of the opposition side out in big games - there may be exceptions but Sachin is not an exception.

Sachins average against Australia in both ODIs and tests with and without McGrath - huge difference. 

it is also a fact that apart from Warne there is not a single great bowler on whom Tendulkar has been able to impose himself consistently.

why is the talk never on how Sachin dominated Murali - the other great spinner of his era - because he never has.

( Murali in his own den ), with devastating consistent step out hits and HUGE tons in Lanka dominating Murali big time 

In a god damn 25 year old career over 450 ODIS all sachin Bhakts can remember his 3-4 memorable match winning knocks. Sharjah storm, olanga, and the 2003 WC against Pak. Keep salivating and orgasming  on this all your lives.

Sachin even at his very best in the 90s lacked the ruthless match winning ability and consistency of Kohli and ability to finish off games  - Kohli has  easily surpassed him many times over.

as a test player it can be argued that sangakkara and Kallis have surpassed him in consistency all round the world with their averages and runs. Tendulkars greater number of runs is just because he stretched his career to an unprecendeted  200 test matches - rather than being a truely stand out quality 

Many players in the 2000s have had long purple patches where they have outdone Sachin’s best purple matches - namely Ponting, Kallis and Sangakkara in the 2000s.

For someone so hyped - he has never stood out of the league. He is just one among the many greats of his era. 

Too many random statements.

Kallis who scored 13289 runs in 280 innings at avg of 55 was more consistent that SRT who scored 14240 in same number of innings at avg of 57.

Sanga had better purpule patch in 2000s than SRT's purple patch in 90s? On what basis - fiction?

46 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Too many random statements.

Kallis who scored 13289 runs in 280 innings at avg of 55 was more consistent that SRT who scored 14240 in same number of innings at avg of 57.

Sanga had better purpule patch in 2000s than SRT's purple patch in 90s? On what basis - fiction?

Dude, unlike you I don't live in a fictional world or believe in idol worship of just another very good consistent player.

I talk facts without biased emotions.

Below is the peak purple patch of tendulkar - unless you want to find a better one..good ahead and prove it.

Attached is also Sangakkara and Ponting's peak. Their peaks have been as good at the very least and even better for more number of runs.

You say I have made " random" statements - yet you cannot deny anyone of them with facts.

Its just too hard for folks like you to accept that he is just another great player in a legion of great players - 

Folks like even fight with you family and spoil relations to defend this guy - who would not give a damn if you were to die tomorrow - this is what they call " idol worship "

Sachin peak.jpg

Sangakkara peak.jpg

Ponting peak.jpg

Edited by narenpande1

49 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

All in all  it is just simple.Sachin avg:ed 45+ @ 87  scoring  18000+ runs  from 89 NOV  onwards withstanding unreal amount of pressure than normal.This 'basic  data' is convincingly better than that of any of his contemporaries.You can filter out any data to belittle him, but the fact is such filtration can be done for any  batsman.For instance just because Lara was so good against Murali, you projects him, but what about his lack of even a single 100+ score against Wasim,Waqar & Donald  3 best fast bowlers of their time??????In short  Why Sachin is evaluated higher than his contmeporaries is because 'he ticks more boxes  combined' than  any other batsman. To  project another batsman's strength(deliberately concealing his other major weaknesses)  compared to that of Sachin's  in a particular factor is just senseless,pathetic and a deliberate attempt to belittle a master batsman

10 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

All in all  it is just simple.Sachin avg:ed 45+ @ 87  scoring  18000+ runs  from 89 NOV  onwards withstanding unreal amount of pressure than normal.This 'basic  data' is convincingly better than that of any of his contemporaries.You can filter out any data to belittle him, but the fact is such filtration can be done for any  batsman.For instance just because Lara was so good against Murali, you projects him, but what about his lack of even a single 100+ score against Wasim,Waqar & Donald  3 best fast bowlers of their time??????In short  Why Sachin is evaluated higher than his contmeporaries is because 'he ticks more boxes  combined' than  any other batsman. To  project another batsman's strength(deliberately concealing his other major weaknesses)  compared to that of Sachin's  in a particular factor is just senseless,pathetic and a deliberate attempt to belittle a master batsman

it is actually the pathetic attempt of your lot to elevate him above anything and everything when there have been equal and better performers - the sensible ones like us just put him at level pegging with the other best.

When your blind beliefs are hammered with cold facts, then comes intangibles like " pressure " on him.

When you play for your country at the international level - there is pressure. Period.

Murali was much more to Lanka - yet he reveled and thrived under pressure.

See how Kohli becomes a beast in pressure chases. Thats where the truely great standout.

Only in a country like India do fans get orgasms over an Indian batsmen smashing a shitty Zimbabwean seamer. Talk about heights of silly hero worship.

Edited by narenpande1

3 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

it is actually the pathetic attempt of your lot to elevate him above anything and everything when there have been equal and better performers - the sensible ones like us just put him at level pegging with the other best.

When your blind beliefs are hammered with cold facts, then comes intangibles like " pressure " on him.

When you play for your country at the international level - there is pressure. Period.

:hysterical:.

24 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

See how Kohli becomes a beast in pressure chases. Thats where the truely great standout.

Only in a country like India do fans get orgasms over an Indian batsmen smashing a shitty Zimbabwean seamer. Talk about heights of silly hero worship.

That's the problem.People like you see only  'an Indian batsmen smashing a shitty Zimbabwean seamer.' And you deliberately neglects other positivies.And this is 'heights of  logic.' Yeah Kohli became a beast in 2015 world cup  SEMI vs AUS and also in 2017 CT final. And Murali was much more to Lanka.Infact Murali was winning test matches for fun against India   in these utmost spinner friendly pitches in  India  because of him being the greatest off spinner the world has ever seen.Isn't it????Get a life maaaaan... 

Edited by rtmohanlal

Dude, unlike you I don't live in a fictional world or believe in idol worship of just another very good consistent player.

Below is the peak purple patch of tendulkar - unless you want to find a better one..good ahead and prove it.

Attached is also Sangakkara and Ponting's peak. Their peaks have been as good at the very least and even better for more number of runs.

You say I have made " random" statements - yet you cannot deny anyone of them with facts.

Its just too hard for folks like you to accept that he is just another great player in a legion of great players - 

Folks like even fight with you family and spoil relations to defend this guy - who would not give a damn if you were to die tomorrow - this is what they call " idol worship "

Sachin peak.jpg

Sangakkara peak.jpg

Ponting peak.jpg

Sachin peak.jpg

Sangakkara peak.jpg

Ponting peak.jpg

Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 1989-2013 200 329 33 15921 248* 53.78 29437+ 54.04* 51 68 14 2058+ 69 Profile
filtered 1993-2002 70 113 13 6510 217 65.10 11669 55.78 24 26 4 876 34

Still waiting for answer on how Kallis was more consistent by facts.

39 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

Listen you joker 

everyone knows that in Sachin era the greater team through it all was mighty Australians . In fact that aussie team imo was greatest team and dominance in history of world cricket . Machine that literally disintegrated all that stood in its way . Sensational team . Relentless 

now joker . Go check srt record v then both home and away . 

Dont do crap filters lol keep it very simple . How did Sachin do v these monsters both home and away . You will then understand how great he was as delivered v the best their was when it mattered 

A common mistake by Statsguru noobs is that they think batsman A's stats in games involving bowler B depend entirely on A's ability to negotiate B. They are utterly blind to variables like form, sample size of games, strength of the rest of the sides, match/series context, point in their careers when A is playing B (for instance playing Waqar in the early 90s is an entirely different challenge than playing him in the early noughties, getting Sachin out in late 90s is much tougher than getting him out in 2012 and so on), the opportunities that a player gets during his peak etc etc.

Anyone who actually saw SRT bat against full strength Australian attacks including McGrath in 1999 and 2001 would know that he cruised to 580+ runs in 12 innings without even close to being his best. In those series SRT top scored for India in 7 out of 12 innings including the all important series decider in Chennai 2001. So much for McGrath's dominance over Sachin in big games :phehe:. At that point of time, no one even thought that McGrath had any sort of an edge over SRT.

So when exactly did McGrath own SRT in Tests?

1. An inconsequential 4th innings of a one-off Test in Delhi 1996 when the game was dead and buried. Ironically back then it wasn't even considered a particularly good attack with Warne missing.

2. The Nagpur Test in 2004 when he was rushed back in the side for the 3rd Test without much match practice during the infamous tennis elbow phase.

In the subsequent Test in Mumbai, SRT scored 55 on a minefield to help India win the Test. But because the sample size is on the lower side (just 9 Tests with McGrath missing out on playing in India in 1998 due to an injury when SRT was at his absolute peak), the odd failures in Delhi/Nagpur are enough to bring the overall average "against" McGrath down to 36+. The sensible followers of the game like us :winky: who saw these events would get the context and won't read too much into the one-off failures. The jaahils on the other hand would simply look at the raw stats on Statsguru as the Universal Truth and use this as proof that McGrath owned SRT in Tests. More power to them.

I guess the jaahils must believe Tendulkar owned Saqlain even more than Warne. Why? Because statsguru said so :winky:

695c3f1a-bf2e-47e6-8eee-3a925d139e32.png

And they also must believe that Ponting was utterly mediocre against the greatest pace bowling spearheads of his time i.e. Wasim/Ambrose/Donald/Steyn. Why? Because statsguru said so :winky:.

dd5d15ab-be0a-4d41-ae3f-116086f0dd7b.png

4 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Akhtar and Lee were faster than both of them.

And you don't have to imagine him facing Johnson at peak.

Keeping aside the battle of belittling and overhyping Sachin, his batting was an art. Never seen a batsman like Sachin. :adore:

Edited by Pollack

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Career averages
  Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 1989-2013 200 329 33 15921 248* 53.78 29437+ 54.04* 51 68 14 2058+ 69 Profile
filtered 1993-2002 70 113 13 6510 217 65.10 11669 55.78 24 26 4 876 34

Still waiting for answer on how Kallis was more consistent by facts.

Please tell me how this is better than Ponting or Sangakkara's purple patch, for significantly much lesser number of runs @6510 

Its also so surprising that for a player touted so great and better than his peers, his numbers are at best comparable to the best of the era.:phehe:. The bhakts have always known to be intellectually dishonest. Instead of plaining and fairly accepting that there were

equally great players, they will defend him as if their livelihoods depend on showing him better.:giggle:

Kallis is more consistent because he ended his career with a greater average and had an equal to greater conversation rate to 100's and 50's. Nobody asked Tendulkar to keep playing and bring down his average by several points because he wanted to selfishly build his personal glory and build overall runs records that would be hard to break. Cant have it both ways.

Tendulkar:

50 and above  in every 4.83 innings

100 and above  in every 6.45 innings

Kallis:

50 and above in every 4.82 innings

100 and above in every 6.22 innings

1 hour ago, King Tendulkar said:

Listen you joker 

everyone knows that in Sachin era the greater team through it all was mighty Australians . In fact that aussie team imo was greatest team and dominance in history of world cricket . Machine that literally disintegrated all that stood in its way . Sensational team . Relentless 

now joker . Go check srt record v then both home and away . 

Dont do crap filters lol keep it very simple . How did Sachin do v these monsters both home and away . You will then understand how great he was as delivered v the best their was when it mattered 

Typical of the SRT pack of wild dogs fan brigade to keep using personal abuse when their hero is questioned - without any provocation - instead of agreeing to disagree. They would even abuse their family members if they had a difference of opinion over their overrated hero.

Going by your dimwitted  ( common symptom of your lot ) reasoning harbhajan must be a much greater bowler than Muralitharan 

because his best performances came against  Monsters, beasts, machines alligators etc. etc  Australia :phehe:

Sachin vs Australia with and without Mcgrath ...such a big drop in performances. Its not a coincidence. 

And nor is Sachin's exaggerated performance. He shat in the entire 2003 series in Australia when the pitches were spicy, and then in the final test match on a Sydney patta wicket where India scored some 700 plus runs, played a pathetic selfish notout knock to boost his numbers.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.