How tough was keeping yesterday!

No one is mentioning about the keeping. Fast bowlers were all over the place. Ball swinging like crazy after passing the batsman.  There were some amazing takes from Pant and some horrendous deliveries from bowlers as well which went for byes.  We saw how Bairstaw struggled when ball swerved and got injured in the last test.   

Buttler gave 3-4 byes as well.

Manju was ranting about keeping not being good enough. Not sure what to make of fast bowlers but there might be some improvement required while keeping to lefties, maybe Pant seems weaker on his wrong side (leg side of lefties). Or it could be that he was covering outside off more than usual. Early days & tough conditions, not much to make of i guess.

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Pant is weaker on his right side, needs to improve but time hai.

no, dont think he is weak there.  it is just that he was covering for off side more as bowlers were spraying a lot there. he naturally is right hander.

3 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

There is a lot a lot of work to be done with him.

This is Bs, as tatti as your user name, the guy is already second best WK in india after saha, extremely agaile with proper technique for wkeeping, go watch  some of those dives yesterday I guess you was sleeping.

16 minutes ago, speedheat said:

This is Bs, as tatti as your user name, the guy is already second best WK in india after saha, extremely agaile with proper technique for wkeeping, go watch  some of those dives yesterday I guess you was sleeping.

I don't think the Scotsman meant it as a rebuke. Pant obviously has many assets like reflexes, agility and big balls...however there is a lot of scope to improve. We can't say he is 2nd best until he keeps to Ashwin-Jaddu on day 5 Indian track. He will be better than DK/Pappu no doubt but the standards must be higher. There are some lofty expectations from this lad, so obviously we want him to extract the best out of his talent. He is young and looks like an enthusiastic chap....he should get better with time. He is diving unlike Dhoni, so the intent is there...he isn't wincing in pain while collecting 140+kph balls, so the courage is there. But his technique needs improvement, especially his footwork. He won't have the same hand-eye co-ordination his whole career, once that declines his flaws will come to the forefront. But if he can work on his shortcomings we may never have to witness that. Also prone to grabbing in some takes instead of allowing the ball to settle in the gloves, scope for improvement yet again.

Edited by Gollum
28 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Diving is NOT wicket-keeping , 

No proper wicketkeeper employs what is known as long barrier in coaching for a ball that has not bounced .

Care to give us your wicket-keeping credentials that makes you know he employs " proper technique?