Whether Jadeja is the best ever indian fielder?

velu

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Azhar and it isn't even close. That guy could field everywhere, deep, circle, close in (without helmet), slip cordon. The most complete fielder of all time along with Ponting, and his rocket throws just by flicking wrists...magic !!!  He was on the verge of being dropped for the 1989-90 Pakistan tour, Cheeka the captain forced the selectors to pick him, bola ki if not Azhar, fielding kaun karega?

Pity his amazing fielding feats aren't available on YT, but those who saw him will vouch for his all round skills. I remember a Sportstar issue in the 2000s which carried a story abut fielding and many of the interviewees talked about Azhar, IIRC Ponting called him his idol as far as fielding was concerned. 

Jaddu as good as he is...very limited, never seen him do miracles in slip cordon or forward short leg, leg slip, silly point etc. 

A couple at the start:

Honestly this is nowhere near the best collection, I wish it were available somewhere. I remember him running a Pakistani batsman out with a flick of his wrist from outside the 30 yard circle, flat rocket released in no time....like that Rohit Sharma run out in 2007 WT20 (RSA) but from a longer distance, can never forget that piece of genius. 

How many bowlers field at short leg, silly point. Overseas, he doesn't play enough to show his skills in the slip.

Some of the best all-round Indian fielders I've seen:

Ravindra Jadeja

Ajay Jadeja 

Robin Singh 

Yuvraj Singh

Md. Kaif

Manish Pandey

Suresh Raina

Azhar

Ajinkya Rahane

Kohli is actually a very good ground fielder but poor in slips so he only gets an honourable mention. 

Dravid and Laxman were not necessarily the most athletic across the turf but they were very good slip catchers. 

I've heard that even Kapil Dev was a very good fielder but I never saw him play live.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Azhar and it isn't even close. That guy could field everywhere, deep, circle, close in (without helmet), slip cordon. The most complete fielder of all time along with Ponting, and his rocket throws just by flicking wrists...magic !!!  He was on the verge of being dropped for the 1989-90 Pakistan tour, Cheeka the captain forced the selectors to pick him, bola ki if not Azhar, fielding kaun karega?

Pity his amazing fielding feats aren't available on YT, but those who saw him will vouch for his all round skills. I remember a Sportstar issue in the 2000s which carried a story abut fielding and many of the interviewees talked about Azhar, IIRC Ponting called him his idol as far as fielding was concerned. 

Jaddu as good as he is...very limited, never seen him do miracles in slip cordon or forward short leg, leg slip, silly point etc. 

A couple at the start:

Honestly this is nowhere near the best collection, I wish it were available somewhere. I remember him running a Pakistani batsman out with a flick of his wrist from outside the 30 yard circle, flat rocket released in no time....like that Rohit Sharma run out in 2007 WT20 (RSA) but from a longer distance, can never forget that piece of genius. 

has to be azhar as you said. he could do almost everything to a high degree. he may not be the best slip fielder, the best short-leg or close-in fielder to spinners, and the best outfielder, but as a package he was the most complete that I've seen.

Yes Jadeja is the best fielder from India ever except close in fielding positions. For that there was no one better than Eknath Solkar. His catches at forward short leg to the spin quartret of the 70s were legendary. This was the era of no helmets and he stood so close to the batsmen he could smell their auss!

Edited by Audiophile
48 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Yes Jadeja is the best fielder from India ever except close in fielding positions. For that there was no one better than Eknath Solkar. His catches at forward short leg to the spin quartret of the 70s were legendary. This was the era of no helmets and he stood so close to the batsmen he could smell their auss!

Solkar was very good at shortleg and silly point but I don't think he was better than Azhar in slips or outfield.

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

Solkar was very good at shortleg and silly point but I don't think he was better than Azhar in slips or outfield.

I was talking strictly very close in like short silly point or forward short leg. I do not remember Solkar in slips. I have only seen footage of him as I was too young to have seen him live. However, growing up my Dad used to rave about how he literally snatched balls from close to batsmen’s pads or bats. Considering there were no helmets back then, it was very brave to stand so close to the batsman. The modern day fielders do not stand so close.

7 hours ago, Audiophile said:

He got the benefit of less attacking batsmen.