Pant's shot selection has let the team down sometimes - Shastri

Mosher

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Nothing wrong in what Shastri said but he never says anything about Dhoni or Kohli.He needs to criticize other stars too. This moron never says anything about Dhoni.WTF was Dhoni doing batting below everyone in world cup semis.

You do not criticize your young players in public. That's the one way to kill their confidence. Imagine your boss posting your performance review in public 

9 minutes ago, New guy said:

You do not criticize your young players in public. That's the one way to kill their confidence. Imagine your boss posting your performance review in public 

If that was his personality , we could take it.But it is very selective from this Moron, he is criticizing the young players becuase they cannot fight back which is totally wrong.I understand your point there was no need to single out Pant.Why is media on Pant, bloody morons this guy hardly played any matches leave him alone.

Bill Belichick the greatest coach shouts at his best player Tom like he does on the last player in his squad.What Shastri is doing is just butt licking senior players.

I supported this moron but this is unacceptable.

40 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Bill Belichick the greatest coach shouts at his best player Tom like he does on the last player in his squad.What Shastri is doing is just butt licking senior players.

Even John wright once held sehwag by his collor for playing a rash shot but that didnt come in media for years . Its seniors n coaches job to shout n wack juniors but saying this in public will just add to his pressure. Already media n public lacks patience.......they ll bash same yoing player and when he becomes big they ll give his example for next young player

13 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Even John wright once held sehwag by his collor for playing a rash shot but that didnt come in media for years . Its seniors n coaches job to shout n wack juniors but saying this in public will just add to his pressure. Already media n public lacks patience.......they ll bash same yoing player and when he becomes big they ll give his example for next young player

John Wright and Ganguly have not done anything great so I don't rate them that high in first place.But you are right they did not do this in public, even Guru Greg did not do it in public against Sehwag.He was upset with Sehwag on his fitness too.

Honestly I don't mind doing in public but it has to be done with all players.You cannot single out just new comers.Has this guy answered why Dhoni was batting so low and why the heck he was batting so timid in semis.

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

Fair enough  !

But where does this fairness go when Dhoni plays at low SRs to let the team down.  

I will appreciate this fair assessment by Shastri when he has the balls to criticize superstars like Dhoni and Kohli ( captaincy ).

And why bring down a young kid in public. !  Why not talk to him alone  !

All this is just ground creation to bring back the old man. Disgusting  !

This might sound a little out there, but it is possible that the whole mafia is out promoting Dhoni because his marketing team has offered a cut to them all from the ad contract money thala has been milking in this last 3-4 yrs of his career which has been well beyond his expiry date? They know India is still strong enough to make semis of each tournament, so that gives them enough bragging rights as well...Indian cricket needs a full reboot, but sadly most ex-cricketers are also mouthing emotional, illogical stuff. Only Dravid seems to be keeping things sane & real

These guys don't understand that you can't make a Dhoni out of Pant. Pant's has different approach. It's natural to him. Yuvraj was never good in shot selection, one of the reasons why he wasn't as consistent as he should be. But it didn't stop him from playing a few sensible knocks and being a big match winner for India. Why is team management gung-ho about making Pant like Dhoni? Unlike Yuvraj, Pant will succeed in tests because Pant even in his short career so far has shown he has temperament for tests. Shot selection might always remain a big issue for him. It's all about how intelligently team management uses him. Given Kohli and Shastri's combined intellect tending to infinitely negative only luck can help him.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

John Wright and Ganguly have not done anything great so I don't rate them that high in first place.

Coz u only look at numbers.....which dont tell the complete story. They build the base for the side which was takes ahead by further capain n coach. Even one has contributed to what Indian cricket is today even the likes of chappell n dravid who got a lot of unnecessary flak . 

Take aus team example all their players give more credit to bob simpson then buchanan coz he was the one who started building the strong aussies in 90s which showed result from 2000s and buchanan took the credit. As warne said then....even a dog wud have coached that side to championship 

Just Kohli's mannerisms, the way he mocks his own players at times on the field, the way he shows his frustration the moment a youngster like pant or Kuldeep makes a mistake...he is just such a poor example of a leader. The dressing room environment must be terrible right now. Dhoni and Kohli have benefitted from winning, professional culture created by Ganguly-Dravid-Kumble captaincy era and the advances made by Indian cricket due to financial clout and IPL....but boy, they have completely shredded the team culture and dragged us back to era of personality cults and selfish decision making. These 2 have had more power than any other captain in our history, and BCCI has never been weaker than it is today...they could have taken our cricket wherever they wanted, but pity that they are invested in their own brand above everything. In their case, absolute power has indeed corrupted absolutely

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Coz u only look at numbers.....which dont tell the complete story. They build the base for the side which was takes ahead by further capain n coach. Even one has contributed to what Indian cricket is today even the likes of chappell n dravid who got a lot of unnecessary flak . 

Take aus team example all their players give more credit to bob simpson then buchanan coz he was the one who started building the strong aussies in 90s which showed result from 2000s and buchanan took the credit. As warne said then....even a dog wud have coached that side to championship 

They didn't build any base, what the heck did they win under them or build anything. Other than Sehwag and Bhajji none of them part of test teams. Zak became Zak long after they had gone.Yuvi the only guy in odi side.

Ganguly was handed Sachin, Dravid, Laxman and Kumble along with Srinath.Kohli is the best Indian captain I have no doubts about it.

12 hours ago, putrevus said:

They didn't build any base, what the heck did they win under them or build anything. Other than Sehwag and Bhajji none of them part of test teams. Zak became Zak long after they had gone.Yuvi the only guy in odi side.

Ganguly was handed Sachin, Dravid, Laxman and Kumble along with Srinath.Kohli is the best Indian captain I have no doubts about it.

Right so u think things happen overnight. 

What yuvraj does in test cricket or sehwag n bhajji do with their career is not saurav ganguly responsibility. Thats the problem u think their a magic wand that ppl hve n career changes.....u think kohli mad bumrah....bumrah made himself. Ganguly gave these youngsters chance or a better word experience.....he gave the confidence, ample opportunities to, made dressing room environment free from senior junior culture....that it. The experience they gained under sourav helped them evolve during the phase they became senior . Captains come n go....players peak n dip does have much to do with captaincy unless u shatter someone confidence. If yuvi cudnt do well in test how is ganguly fault.....his technique had issue thats his problem. 

The player ganguly were handed was not enough if that was the case azhar wud have done well overseas as captain. Ganguly build his own team.....dravid gave more cricketers, dhoni bought his own.....aise to dhoni gave kohli 90% of cricketers. 

About ganguly winning- again u cant look at just numbers. If so lets give kohli same bowlers n see what he does with them. 

Ganguly was the one under whom we gained confidence that yes we can go abroad fight n come close. Playing at par infact having upper hand against that aussie side at their home was no less then an victory. That aussie side use to win in opposition backyard. 

Under dravid we won in ENG

Under Kohli we won in Aus which to be honest was quite weak without smith n warner. He was defeated in SA a team which was defeated by SL after an year.....he didnt win in England . Kohli hasnt won any major tournament in ODI so what has he done when it comes to winning apart from bilateral . Thank god we dont play tri series anymore or else he wud have number of final defeats like ganguly

Its indian cricket....not kohli cricket.....it took years to build it. U cant climb to top stair without stepping on 1st. 1st someone has to show how to step on one which started with ganguly

Step 1 : Ganguly fought overseas against sides that were of high quality. He bought players with x factor in ODI 

Step 2: Under dravid we won a series overseas. Under him we learned to chase in ODI holding a record of 16 successful chases . Before that we were poor at chasing. 

Step 3 : Under dhoni we started winning tournament which we werent 

Step 4: Under virat a fitness culture came which helped our team perform better in situation where teams are hampered by fitness. He bough consistency.

Without Step 1 their is no Step 4. 

Winning depends a lot on how weak opposition is....During kohli time - SA, AUS, PAK, WI, SL have become quite weak

Winning depends on how good team u have- Dhoni had gr8 team in 2011 Wc, kohli has a great bunch of fast bowler who are not loosing tehir way due to culuture of Fast bowling well established in India which kohli has not much to do with 

Winning is combination of 2 things- How good ur team is + then how captain uses those resources

Sehwag must play his natural game: Wright

Virender Sehwag; another is Australia's Andrew Symonds.

The Aussie's rise as a batsman over the past few years is nothing short of extraordinary.

"The thing with me is that I have now decided to make sure I reach 20 in every innings I play. Once I have done that I know I can take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate the opposition," says Symonds.

Such is his confidence at the moment that he invariably achieves what he sets out to.

Sehwag, in many ways, has the same kind of ability and one wonders whether Symonds's approach might work for the Indian opener too.

"I believe that the way you play depends on a lot of factors, including the weather and the wicket. Of course, it is important to get set at the wicket, but, at the end, individual players sort out what suits them best and, hopefully, Viru will do that as well," says coach of the Indian team John Wright.

Looking at Viru bat, one gets the feeling that at the moment he is being intimidated by the opposition. He seems hesitant, indeed a far cry from the daredevil he was at the start of his international career.

"Viru really just needs one good innings. Sometimes, when you haven't been getting runs, I think you just need to spend time in the middle," adds Wright.

There have also been suggestions from the team management that Sehwag needs to tone down his stroke-making, at least for the initial part of his innings.

In fact, before the Champions Trophy game against Kenya, India skipper Sourav Ganguly revealed that the team management had asked the dashing batsman to play as if he was playing in Test matches.

But Wright is against him playing like that.

"I basically believe that Sehwag needs to play his natural game. He is a fearless batsman and you can't ask him to curb his instincts.

"At the moment he needs to back himself, play straight and it [the runs] will eventually come. Sehwag is a great player," added Wright.

However, with everything going amiss for India -- its leading batsmen and bowlers forced to sit out because of injuries -- one bright spot is the batting of Ganguly.

"I just think that if two of the first three get good totals it sets you up for the rest of the match. And Sourav has done a magnificent job for the team in the last few games. He has led from the front and I just hope he continues to do that."

Like Wright, all of India too hopes for Ganguly's good run to continue.

We won't curb Sehwag natural game: Dhoni

With Gautam Gambhir evolving into a complete batsman, there is just no need to straitjacket Virender Sehwag's characteristic daredevilry, India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said here on Monday.

Sehwag has been in his devil-may-care self in the Test series against Sri Lanka, getting off to rollicking starts but not staying long enough to convert them into big knocks.

But asked Dhoni if the Delhi dasher needs to tone down his cavalier attitude in the second Test starting on Tuesday, he replied in the negative.

"You don't really want to tell a player like him what to do. That is how he plays the game and is known for. He is more of an aggressor and is not the kind of guy who would stick to the wicket for one-and-half days. He is always looking to get on with game," Dhoni explained.

Conveying the think-tank's unconditional support for Sehwag's brand of batsmanship, Dhoni said, "We want him to play his natural game. He is a very experienced player and we don't need him to tell anything."

India probably can afford to let Sehwag play his natural game since the other opener, Gambhir, has evolved into a complete batsman, who can shelve his natural aggression and graft for hours, something he displayed in the drawn first Test in Ahmedabad.

Effusive in his praise for the left-hander, Dhoni said, "He is a great character. Thrust him into whatever condition and he would play accordingly. He can shift gears easily and uses his feet well against the spinners.

"He has been consistently in good form over the past one-and-half years and whenever the team needed, he delivered. Once he sets himself well, he goes for big innings," added the captain."

15 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Just feel this might be Pant's last series as things are panning out or one must say they are rigging the situation

An article says , according to current TM Dhoni is very much into the scheme of things ,may play a vital role in India's campaign in t20 wc up next

Yes, it does look like they are rigging the situation. Just read another article about Pant being under the pump and that he can no longer be treated as a youngster because he made his debut in 2017. It is nauseating how they are throwing mud at him - both from within the team and outside, through the media. If I remember correctly, Pant's last innings in T20 was a match winning 65 in the WI. He did throw away his wicket with poor shot selection in one or more of the T20s as well as the ODIs. But instead of working with him to fix the issues and saying positive words backing him, they have thrown him under the bus and  are doing all they can to make him fail, just to bring back their chosen one. Utterly disgusting!

Edited by nevada
19 hours ago, putrevus said:

If that was his personality , we could take it.But it is very selective from this Moron, he is criticizing the young players becuase they cannot fight back which is totally wrong.I understand your point there was no need to single out Pant.Why is media on Pant, bloody morons this guy hardly played any matches leave him alone.

I supported this moron but this is unacceptable.

Shouting at players in the heat of the game is different. So is shouting in the dressing room. But giving an interview where you talk about players' weakness is something no coach will do and any player will consider as betrayal

1 hour ago, New guy said:

Shouting at players in the heat of the game is different. So is shouting in the dressing room. But giving an interview where you talk about players' weakness is something no coach will do and any player will consider as betrayal

Lot of coaches do it in public.Bill Parcells was one of the coaches who did that public but he was sending messages to his players thru media.What Shastri did is not wrong but he has to be consistent and has to do the same about every player.

I never heard this moron say anything negative about Dhoni in public , on how slow Dhoni is batting and how it is ruining the team.

Another article on CI,

The Rishabh Pant journey from 'fearless' to 'careless' and back

Rishabh Pant must be dying to play some actual cricket. It is hard to imagine anyone worse off for the rain in Dharamsala. If the best place for stocks as a cricketer to rise is outside a team, the opposite holds true for someone in Pant's situation. Not long ago the darling of the team management for his fearless approach and intent to cricket, he now finds himself in the "careless" bracket.

In an interview recorded before the first match, which was washed out, both captain Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri told Pant off for injudicious shot selection that was, according to them, letting himself and the team down. Now the new batting coach, Vikram Rathour, has called for him to sort his game plans without compromising on his explosive and innovative style. Not a ball is bowled in the series yet, and Pant is already a worse player than he was, and MS Dhoni a better one.

These criticisms are not new for Pant. He has experienced all these whispers all his career because he doesn't play the "safe" way Indian batsmen grow up playing. His counter always is that he is not stupid, and that he is trying to do what he thinks is the best for the team. In an interview with ESPNcricinfo earlier this year, Pant said: "If you are playing days cricket and get out trying to hit a six, everybody knows and says it is irresponsible. But when it comes off, nobody says anything. The percentage is what matters. If you are getting out in ten matches but are getting the results in nine of them, that is important. If my percentage of results is high, I only focus on my process. And if something is working for me, it might not work for someone else. Similarly if something is working for someone else, it might not always help me.

"It feels like all my life I have played only cricket. By now, at least this much I know: how to play in what situation. Sometimes you have to curb your instincts, that is also important. At the end of the day, you have to score runs. Can't play just to survive."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27635444/the-rishabh-pant-journey-fearless-careless-back

Edited by Mosher
2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Right so u think things happen overnight. 

What yuvraj does in test cricket or sehwag n bhajji do with their career is not saurav ganguly responsibility. Thats the problem u think their a magic wand that ppl hve n career changes.....u think kohli mad bumrah....bumrah made himself. Ganguly gave these youngsters chance or a better word experience.....he gave the confidence, ample opportunities to, made dressing room environment free from senior junior culture....that it. The experience they gained under sourav helped them evolve during the phase they became senior . Captains come n go....players peak n dip does have much to do with captaincy unless u shatter someone confidence. If yuvi cudnt do well in test how is ganguly fault.....his technique had issue thats his problem. 

The player ganguly were handed was not enough if that was the case azhar wud have done well overseas as captain. Ganguly build his own team.....dravid gave more cricketers, dhoni bought his own.....aise to dhoni gave kohli 90% of cricketers. 

About ganguly winning- again u cant look at just numbers. If so lets give kohli same bowlers n see what he does with them. 

Ganguly was the one under whom we gained confidence that yes we can go abroad fight n come close. Playing at par infact having upper hand against that aussie side at their home was no less then an victory. That aussie side use to win in opposition backyard. 

Under dravid we won in ENG

Under Kohli we won in Aus which to be honest was quite weak without smith n warner. He was defeated in SA a team which was defeated by SL after an year.....he didnt win in England . Kohli hasnt won any major tournament in ODI so what has he done when it comes to winning apart from bilateral . Thank god we dont play tri series anymore or else he wud have number of final defeats like ganguly

Its indian cricket....not kohli cricket.....it took years to build it. U cant climb to top stair without stepping on 1st. 1st someone has to show how to step on one which started with ganguly

Step 1 : Ganguly fought overseas against sides that were of high quality. He bought players with x factor in ODI 

Step 2: Under dravid we won a series overseas. Under him we learned to chase in ODI holding a record of 16 successful chases . Before that we were poor at chasing. 

Step 3 : Under dhoni we started winning tournament which we werent 

Step 4: Under virat a fitness culture came which helped our team perform better in situation where teams are hampered by fitness. He bough consistency.

Without Step 1 their is no Step 4. 

Winning depends a lot on how weak opposition is....During kohli time - SA, AUS, PAK, WI, SL have become quite weak

Winning depends on how good team u have- Dhoni had gr8 team in 2011 Wc, kohli has a great bunch of fast bowler who are not loosing tehir way due to culuture of Fast bowling well established in India which kohli has not much to do with 

Winning is combination of 2 things- How good ur team is + then how captain uses those resources

There is nothing which Ganguly did was great.Under Dhoni you won three tournaments in in eight years.Kohli is/was the best captain because of his drive to succeed.He has just taken reign over in 2017 in odis.

Step4 would have occured irespective of all your other steps that is the greatness of Kohli.

Kohli has let himself down in big spots as batsman but there is nothing wrong in his captaincy.Every captain has bad team selections, Kumble did not play in world cup finals and Dinesh Mongia played becuase of Ganguly.

Is he overzealous sometimes yes but he will mature as he gains more experience but unlike other captains he leads from front not feigns illness like Ganguly.

As always sensible comments on Pant from Agarkar on CI,

• Shouldn't curb Pant's instinct as that is what makes him special
  • He is a young player and its too early to judge him
  • Agarkar is happy with Pant's approach and he has the special ability to win matches on his own
  • Dhoni has been a great captain in T20I but as a batsman he has an OK record.

Edited by Mosher