63% of Muslims in Hyderabad are officially POOR - similar numbers seen across india's major cities. Should they receive more quotas?

Manny_Pacquiao

I was shocked by this story on TOI today.

63% of hyderabadi muslims are officially poor. For poverty rates to be this high in a major Indian city - in 2020 - is unbelievable.

We're at a stage where we cannot discuss poverty eradication without specifically discussing the muslims.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/63-hyd-muslims-are-poor-survey/articleshow/75282242.cms

75284963.jpg

I'm sure we see similar rates across other major cities.

In fact, a Congress government-commissioned study in 2006 revealed the condition of muslims to be worse than that of dalits. Shouldn't be a surprise, considering that subcontinent muslims are dalit converts anyway, but the extent of muslim poverty was something i wasn't aware of.

According to this article, nothing has changed since then, and they are massively under-represented in government jobs:

Perhaps the most telling figures are in the IAS and IPS, the country’s top officialdom. The Sachar Committee recorded the percentage of Muslims in the IAS and IPS as 3% and 4% respectively. These numbers were 3.32% and 3.19% respectively on January 1, 2016, Home Ministry data show. The fall in Muslim representation in the IPS was due primarily to a steep fall in the share of Muslim promotee officers in the IPS — from 7.1% in the Sachar Report to merely 3.82% at the beginning of 2016.

https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/ten-years-after-sachar-report-no-major-change-in-the-condition-of-indias-muslims-4444809/

Those cozy government jobs provide steady income and benefits. Without them, you're basically living off welfare - which in india, is absolutely nothing. Being a mostly 'urban' population, muslims are living off either government welfare or mazdoori.

It corresponds to what you see across many of india's major cities. I live in delhi at the moment, and i couldn't help but notice that while much of the city has modernized immensely (at least, when compared to what it was 15 years ago), the muslim neighborhoods - chandni chowk, pahar ganj, shahdra, okhla, etc. - look almost the same as they did before. they are densely populated, filthy and dirt poor.

the recent delhi 'riots' and shaheen bagh protests took place near okhla - which is a dirt poor muslim 'ghetto'. This is basically the headquarters of the "Aam aadmi party". 

what's the solution for this perpetual cycle of poverty? muslims are too big in number to be 'left behind' - but that's EXACTLY what's happening. whether you have the BJP in power, or some foreign-funded opposition, this is an issue that will HAVE to prioritized. would a 15% quota limit be acceptable? it's excessive, but i see no other solutions.

muslims are comparatively poor everywhere in india ..

definitely because of their big families and lack of education ( again comparatively ) ..

also wealth distribution among rich muslims vs poor muslims is also huge from my observation ..

anyway i still feel kerala , tn and bambi muslims are well off when compared to bimaru muslims 

17 minutes ago, velu said:

muslims are comparatively poor everywhere in india ..

definitely because of their big families and lack of education ( again comparatively ) ..

also wealth distribution among rich muslims vs poor muslims is also huge from my observation ..

anyway i still feel kerala , tn and bambi muslims are well off when compared to bimaru muslims 

Reason being trade and seaports. 

Why you said muslims are dalit converts. There are every kind of muslims. They also follow this caste system. They have upper and lower caste muslims. It's the Christians who are lower caste or dalits but this is not the case with muslims.

I wonder what Owaisi has to say about this. His party (him and his father) has held MP post for Hyderabad constituency forever and they get re-elected every single time without much debate or contest. The people of old city there practically live in ghettos. They're happy to be at where they are and do what they're doing as long as they are not meddled with - 3 to 4 begums who can be talaqed at any point and bucketload of children to roam around the streets without a care for the world. Those people will be more happy with a couple more mosques or madrasas for quran learning than say quotas to prestigious institutions for studies. Their primitive mindset is the issue.

4 hours ago, Ranvir said:

If you have two groups of people with the same ethnicity but one group is muslim and the other is not, the muslim group will pretty much always be the poorer and more backwards out of the two.

Not sure why but low level of IQ is a common feature I observed among Muslims. They're a very lazy group and are the least enterprising of all groups that I know of.

20 hours ago, panther said:

Even a malnourished Hyderabadi Muslim can overpower 3 Hindus easily.

Hyderabad is not the same anymore. You have the ghettos of the old city to which these Muslims are restricted. They generally don't meddle with the other parts of the city where they are outnumbered and out of touch with.

4 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Not sure why but low level of IQ is a common feature I observed among Muslims. They're a very lazy group and are the least enterprising of all groups that I know of.

‘46% Muslims in urban India self-employed’

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/46-muslims-in-urban-india-self-employed/article23115166.ece#

The complete opposite to what you said is actually true. Muslims tend to focus too much on business and commerce and not enough on education. . It's more common for Muslim kids in school to drop out and support their family business than other communities. This happens because they need to support their family due to poverty etc.

As for 'level of IQ' maybe you should check out India's average IQ and compare it to most Muslim countries level of IQ.

23 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Inbreeding makes IQ matters far worse but the biggest culprits are large families, wasting time on religious studies instead of real studies and placing more emphasis in the after life than this life. Is there any western country in the world where South Asian muslims have had more success than Hindus and Sikhs?

On 4/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ranvir said:

Inbreeding makes IQ matters far worse but the biggest culprits are large families, wasting time on religious studies instead of real studies and placing more emphasis in the after life than this life. Is there any western country in the world where South Asian muslims have had more success than Hindus and Sikhs?

Population is a huge problem. 

Bachay 2 hi achay. 

Unless any community enforces strict population control (max 2) it won't come up. From what I have seen Muslim girls get married quite early and become baby-making machines, generally discountinue their education, sacifice their ambition and independence...Hindu girls were the same a few years back and still are in some pockets of Bihar and UP, relatively speaking cos we need to improve a lot. My great grandparents had 8-12 kids (with many dying as infants, young age), grandparents had 4-5, my parents just one....quality of life is easily perceptible. Muslims in general focus on quantity and not quality, this results in their youth being untapped potential. Regarding the IQ thing, that can only improve when the child has right tools to develop, education does raise IQ in the long term. Modi govt must stop these useless Haj (actually Air India) subsidies and promote women's education among Muslims....get them educated, make them part of the workforce, that is the only way Muslim community can develop. There is a saying that if you edcuate the mother of the house the family gets educated, also will be a smaller family, more productive. Bangladesh is doing a better job at this than India, far better. 

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Unless any community enforces strict population control (max 2) it won't come up. From what I have seen Muslim girls get married quite early and become baby-making machines, generally discountinue their education, sacifice their ambition and independence...Hindu girls were the same a few years back and still are in some pockets of Bihar and UP, relatively speaking cos we need to improve a lot. My great grandparents had 8-12 kids (with many dying as infants, young age), grandparents had 4-5, my parents just one....quality of life is easily perceptible. Muslims in general focus on quantity and not quality, this results in their youth being untapped potential. Regarding the IQ thing, that can only improve when the child has right tools to develop, education does raise IQ in the long term. Modi govt must stop these useless Haj (actually Air India) subsidies and promote women's education among Muslims....get them educated, make them part of the workforce, that is the only way Muslim community can develop. There is a saying that if you edcuate the mother of the house the family gets educated, also will be a smaller family, more productive. Bangladesh is doing a better job at this than India, far better. 

Education has not really worked. Ask the West, who thought that would eliminate radicalization. The onus is the women to stand up, and ask for their rights. Yet, in 3T ban, very few stood up. And they aren't so innocent, as they do throw and attack police and authorities, as evident in recent incidents. Independence, and individualism is simply missing....

On 4/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, someone said:

Education has not really worked. Ask the West, who thought that would eliminate radicalization. The onus is the women to stand up, and ask for their rights. Yet, in 3T ban, very few stood up. And they aren't so innocent, as they do throw and attack police and authorities, as evident in recent incidents. Independence, and individualism is simply missing....

I had posted this earlier too, I think in response to you.  I shall re-post once again for your benefit, cause you are simply ill informed on the triple talaq case.

Who do you think litigated against the Triple Talaq from the word go? Who filed the various cases against Talaq e bidat?

Why not look up the case details before you make such false allegations?

Heard of the Bebaak Collective? Does Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan ring a bell?

Salman Khurshid, whom ICF accuses of being a part of the Tukde Tukde gang, was amicus curaie for these women's group against the Talaq e bidat.

7 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I had posted this earlier too, I think in response to you.  I shall re-post once again for your benefit, cause you are simply ill informed on the triple talaq case.

Do your research completely. This is what AIMPLB said in its affidavit where they effectively termed women as no brains.

1. Triple talaq provides security to wife
2. Women get killed when men don’t have easy divorce
3. Obtaining divorce from courts scandalises women’s character, for men the damage is little
4. Obtaining divorce from courts “deters re-marriage” prospects of men, women
5. Triple Talaq is sin, but ‘valid and effective’ form of divorce

https://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/5-shocking-reasons-for-which-aimplb-favours-triple-talaq/416434/

3T, only got passed due to BJP. Who voted in favor of 3T? Congress and its allies in RS.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:32 PM, Gollum said:

The SC had given a 10 year window to the GoI to cease the Haj 'Subsidy'. This was around 2012.That was a ridiculous ruling because it said that not only is the subsidy unconstitutional, but it also violates principles of the Holy Quran. Why should non conformance with the Holy Quran even matter when it comes to GoI spends? While the outcome of this ruling is right, its reasoning sets a very bad precedent.

Anyways, that is a different debate.

Most people agreed back in 2012 that the subsidy shouldn't take that long to abolish. I think it was finally abolished around 2018. 

https://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/narendra-modi-government-ends-haj-subsidy-for-muslims-says-wont-affect-cost-of-travel-to-mecca/1017463/

That amount, ~700cr has been allocated to educating Muslim girls.

The search function doesn't work on ICF anymore, but I had once written a detailed post about this 'subsidy'. It was more of a bail out for Air India. It didn't help Air India much. And it created a centre for corruption where the political/ bureaucratic class of Muslims could leverage the use of this 'subsidy' against favours/money/votes.

3 minutes ago, someone said:

Do your research completely. This is what AIMPLB said in its affidavit where they effectively termed women as no brains.

1. Triple talaq provides security to wife
2. Women get killed when men don’t have easy divorce
3. Obtaining divorce from courts scandalises women’s character, for men the damage is little
4. Obtaining divorce from courts “deters re-marriage” prospects of men, women
5. Triple Talaq is sin, but ‘valid and effective’ form of divorce

https://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/5-shocking-reasons-for-which-aimplb-favours-triple-talaq/416434/

3T, only got passed due to BJP. Who voted in favor of 3T? Congress and its allies in RS.

You haven't the foggiest. Read up on the case. It has been going on much before the advent of the BJP as a mainstream national party.

The SC passed the judgement (Shah Bano and others vs Union of India) circa August 2017. Inspite of this, there were multiple cases of 3T through out the country. That is when the government decided to formulate the bill in the parliament, that criminalizes 3T.

Your statements that Muslim women have done nothing in this case is a complete lie. Muslim women have been at the forefront of this case much before Advani started his rath yatra and probably when Sholay was still running at Eros cinema.