Ravi Shastri new India head coach

6 hours ago, cric_fan said:

That's one less Indian in the commentary box then. Great news for the rest of us :D

actually after all this time, i accept this comment. Its indeed a great new for many that Sashtri wont be in commentary box ( he anyway semi retired).

1 hour ago, Pollack said:

Checks and balances are required. Otherwise result is always disaster. Hopefully Shastri understands his role being more than just cheerleader.

There are atleast 2 ways of introducing a different point of view.

1 )   B tells A that I don't agree with what you are saying. This is what I think should happen.  This approach hardly works in the long run where 2 free people are involved. Especially so when trust between A and B  has broken down, even if it is due to A's fault.

2 )  B is a trusted friend of A and suggests things logically in a friendly way. This approach works much better and is more effective.

We can hope that Shastri would operate using (2).   Let's see how it pans out.

Edited by express bowling
21 minutes ago, kirkutfan said:

I think Shastri was doing fine in his first stint. Kumble replacing an already successful coach at the time was not cool. Now,in essence, the Kumble era has ended and Shastri gets (what should have been his to begin with) his old job back. Also, we are going by perceptions. But there is no real evidence that Kumble was necessarily the better tactician of the two. Shastri knows the game too. There is no evidence that Kumble brought out things in players that Shastri couldn't. Supposedly Shastri had Kohli make subtle changes to his batting stance to better handle the outgoing ball and get out of the slump he encountered in England. What we do know is that Kumble for whatever reason couldn't get along with the captain. Shastri can. So good luck to Shastri and thank you Kumble. Also adding Dravid, Zaheer to the mix brings a lot of depth to this coaching staff. Probably the best staff we have ever had.

Totally agree , I have always been impressed with some of his insights during the game , like this one time he points out  the batting side is looking to score runs to win the match and before even I could process that he adds that the bowling side will need wickets to win this one  .  Hes going to be super coach !!

3 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

Did He ever coach any team let alone a national team in his life? Curious to find out. 

No. And neither did Kumble. But many assume that Kumble was better because of the perception of him being analytical, less of a talker etc. But the reality is no one really knows what the substance is. Also Kohli plays with a desire to be successful. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would allow the support system he relies upon for this purpose to weaken just because he had an odd argument. So I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It is possible for two otherwise successful people to not get along. Finally, you still have the Kumble type quiet analytical guy in Dravid. So BCCI has done a nice job by replacing Kumble with not only Shastri, but a group with varied skill sets. 

Zaheer Khan worked hard to get where he got. Shastri is the biggest  sifarshi candidate in Indian cricket. If we was not playing for Mumbai he would have never seen Indian cricket team. What does he brings to the game that he deserves to be the coach. Kindly tell me one good quality he has except for sucking upto Kohli. Kohli needs a coach not a yes man. This is retarded and backwards.

Edited by Khota
53 minutes ago, Khota said:

Zaheer Khan worked hard to get where he got. Shastri is the biggest  sifarshi candidate in Indian cricket. If we was not playing for Mumbai he would have never seen Indian cricket team. What does he brings to the game that he deserves to be the coach. Kindly tell me one good quality he has except for sucking upto Kohli. Kohli needs a coach not a yes man. This is retarded and backwards.

I hate shastri, I genuinely cannot stand the guy at all.

37 minutes ago, Khota said:

I wouldn't go that far. He was one of those utility players who could bat from 1 to 11 and averaged around 35 with the bat and contributed a bit with the ball. No super star, but not a passenger either. The guy has played 80 tests, won a man of the series in a world Odi tournament. And post playing days has stayed connected to the game. Definitely more than a yes man. Also, I think he was an upgrade from Fletcher.

55 minutes ago, kirkutfan said:

I wouldn't go that far. He was one of those utility players who could bat from 1 to 11 and averaged around 35 with the bat and contributed a bit with the ball. No super star, but not a passenger either. The guy has played 80 tests, won a man of the series in a world Odi tournament. And post playing days has stayed connected to the game. Definitely more than a yes man. Also, I think he was an upgrade from Fletcher.

Explain to me what has he done to deserve this position?

44 minutes ago, Khota said:

Explain to me what has he done to deserve this position?

Successful director/coach in prior stint in 2015-16 for starters.  Possibly helped in bringing about Kohli's return to form. Ability to work with the captain.  Heck, the captain wanted him back. Knows the game having played it at the highest level and staying connected to it after playing days were over. Finally, like a tracer bullet, he is out of the commentary box.

From Cricinfo's Gaurav Kalra

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/1110570.html

Shastri is viewed as someone with Man management skills.Not a great technical analysis guy .

There was disagreement in CAC (assuming Ganguly) hence the delay in announcing initially.But Sachin backed Shastri to the hilt and got it over the line.

Shastri wanted Bharat Arun as coach but COC vetoed it and Zaheer was picked as compromise.

Dravid was appointed as overseas batting coach because of the array of overseas assignments we have in next 2 years .

6 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Shastri is viewed as someone with Man management skills.Not a great technical analysis guy .

There was disagreement in CAC (assuming Ganguly) hence the delay in announcing initially.But Sachin backed Shastri to the hilt and got it over the line.

Shastri wanted Bharat Arun as coach but COC vetoed it and Zaheer was picked as compromise.

Dravid was appointed as overseas batting coach because of the array of overseas assignments we have in next 2 years .

Ganguly hates Ravi. Interested to see Laxman's choice. Not mentioned.

28 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

@Pollack Sachin single handed selected shastri.

29 minutes ago, gattaca said:

@Pollack Sachin single handed selected shastri.

It only states the obvious. Did I ever contest Sachin's vote is not in favour of Ravi. The point being made was the other two members could still override that decisions if they want.  Sachin backed till hilt as worded by BG means he did not sway away from his vote. If we assume Laxman and Ganguly did not want Shastri then they could have agreed on some other candidate and he would have been coach. The fact that other two could not agree on one candidate also shows each one was not ready to budge from their respective choice of candidates.