Rahane...........seriously??????

11 hours ago, vijay50 said:

6. Raina/ Shreyas Iyer/ Manish Pandey

Pandey n Iyer wud be wasted at 6........neither does anyone offer with ball

11 hours ago, vijay50 said:

7. Pandya/ Bhuvi/ Umesh

Bhuvi n umesh cant be an option to Pandya that to at 7

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Virat is almost a perfect example of that #3 or #4 bat, and I see Pandey as another potential star in that role.   Rahul's instincts in batting are to attack, he's a born opener, and is more likely to succeed and do better for us at the top of the order.  And we can afford to have him wait a season or so, once Dhawan gets a bit older and his reflexes fade.   KLR can use the time to work on his fitness - for a young player he keeps getting injured on his own waaay too often.   

That is where our opinions differ. I don't see Pandey as a potential star like Virat because the guy can't score at a SR of 140 if the situation demands. He is another version of the current MSD who does not get out easily but can't score quickly. We need a replacement for Yuvraj of the 2006-2011 period who can maintain a high strike-rate effortlessly. Rahul can do this job. And if he can't open (which would be my first choice but does not look possible in the current set-up), would rather prefer him play at no.4 than not at all. 

But this is a good debate and discussion to have as fans. End of the day, both are good players and only time and their performances over the next 6 months will decide who deserves it more.

no. 4 is a difficult position and it demands a dynamic batsman who can
1. survive adversity spin/swing playing percentage cricket
2. attack fiercely according to situation.
I see only eoin morgan and ros taylor who have mastered that slot...and ABD is god in that position.
Wish we could find morgan/taylor level player at that position.

Potentially KLR and both can do part 1 but only KLR can do part 2.

I think only one of them should play in XI that too at no. 4
No. 5 given to dhoni...6 or 7 is too low for him now.

For no.6 position you need a dasher and utility 6th bowling option ( top 5 lacks that)
I think only raina/jadhav/hooda is capable of that.
nobody is bringing up hooda's name here I think he is ideal no.6 kind of player who fits in that role.

don't think jadhav's uncanny style of bowling would work for long and he is a below fielder. 

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

Winning formula?   In our version of the universe, Indian team lost in the semi-finals of the ODI world cup and finals of the Champions trophy - both games could have been won by better performances from the batting unit - That is how the Indian team has won historically - by out-doing opponents on the batting front.

And historically we are always slow to adapt to the tactical changes in ODI cricket.  We were the last major team to really match the top levels of fielding and fitness, even SL used to be better at fielding than us in the 2000s.   

We have just begun to realize the importance of Wrist spinners in ODI cricket -about 2 years too late.  

England, Australia are teams that regularly threaten to score 400 in ODIs.   For us, its a rare exception.  Our run production in the first 10 overs of ODIs is among the worst.      

You are not wrong but blaming the batting unit when they have to chase 330 odd in an ICC knockout match, when the pressure is simply insurmountable, is probably unfair. I am aware that India has won more matches with batting rather than bowling. But in most cases, they have won either by batting first or by good middle order contributions. Do you really trust today's middle order to deliver goods??? I really don't think we have the fire power to do what Robin Singh in 1998 or Yuvi/Kaif in 2002 did for that requirement. Other than those two instances, I don't remember any heavy chases by team India in pressure situations. 

19 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

You are not wrong but blaming the batting unit when they have to chase 330 odd in an ICC knockout match, when the pressure is simply insurmountable, is probably unfair. I am aware that India has won more matches with batting rather than bowling. But in most cases, they have won either by batting first or by good middle order contributions. Do you really trust today's middle order to deliver goods??? I really don't think we have the fire power to do what Robin Singh in 1998 or Yuvi/Kaif in 2002 did for that requirement. Other than those two instances, I don't remember any heavy chases by team India in pressure situations. 

Put aside the CT final.  The group stage loss against SL was even more of a damning indictment of our batting strategy.   Sure we ultimately lost the game because Jadeja and Yadav were taken apart and gave up too many runs.  But our batting failed to score anywhere near what they should have.   Our openers scored 203(207) in that game.  That's 70% of the ballgame.  Our current batting strategy pampers the top order, especially the top 3, while putting all the burden of high SR scoring on the lower order.   We value centuries by our openers, when in fact a 45(32) would add way more value to the team's cause   And why would the players complain? Its making them richer.   There's a reason why Virat is the superstar in Indian cricket, its because of his umpteen ODI centuries.   

Unless and until we change our batting strategy and attitude, we are always going to leave 20-30 runs unscored in the early phase of an ODI innings.  Those 20-30 runs will almost always bite you in the ass if the opposition manages to put up a competent challenge.  

7 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Even Yuvraj Singh was bought for 14 crores in 2014. IPL auction has no bearing on national team selection.

I think the latest auction is the more accurate one. The teams have been fed up with the pretenders and a complete overhaul was needed. In this IPL, the players are being picked up based on their potentials and current form, except for one/two like Dhoni. 

Edited by Lannister
4 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

No auction will ever be an accurate one. This one wasn't any different.

Watch him join the auction pool again next year because his team wants to free up some cash for bidding.

He has been a constant player for KKR. Yuvraj played in some 2-3 teams in just 5 years. 

I feel this auction is the most accurate one and it closely resembles their current form.