Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

Looking he is not just one trick pony like Pandya who other banging it short has no other weapons in his repertoire. Have not seen him bat so can't comment.Bowling one odd ball @ 140 doesn't make Pandya 140 K bowler. Pandya is also a very big trundler and also  very limited bowler .Pandya the batsman is also very iffy so replacing Pandya should not be a problem. They need a proper batsmen who can bowl  same overs as Pandya.

Quietly impressed with him so far, built like a tank so I can’t wait to see him connect one big hit. His bowling is a lot better than I expected. Bowls consistently around 130 mark, has natural lines (Pandya struggles a bit here), bowls a heavy ball, aims to hit the seam and most importantly appears to have good control. Would have picked up a few more wickets this series but for poor fielding. I can also imagine him getting reverse swing in test cricket with his action. Definitely worth giving a longer a run to based on his bowling so far and given that batting supposed to be his stronger suit. Pandya needs to feel pressure for his place both in tests and ODIs, and given state of current batting in ODIs and lack of lower order explosive hitting, there is potentially space for both Pandya and Shankar in ODI lineup (on condition that Shankar’s batting is as good and explosive as people claim). 

3 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Quietly impressed with him so far, built like a tank so I can’t wait to see him connect one big hit. His bowling is a lot better than I expected. Bowls consistently around 130 mark, has natural lines (Pandya struggles a bit here), bowls a heavy ball, aims to hit the seam and most importantly appears to have good control. Would have picked up a few more wickets this series but for poor fielding. I can also imagine him getting reverse swing in test cricket with his action. Definitely worth giving a longer a run to based on his bowling so far and given that batting supposed to be his stronger suit. Pandya needs to feel pressure for his place both in tests and ODIs, and given state of current batting in ODIs and lack of lower order explosive hitting, there is potentially space for both Pandya and Shankar in ODI lineup (on condition that Shankar’s batting is as good and explosive as people claim). 

I agree fully, he should be persisted with will be a very good addition to the side.

21 hours ago, UnknownGenius said:

This should be indian ODI team

Rohit

Dhawan

Kohli

Raina

MSD

Shankar

Pandya

Jadeja (or other spinning all rounder)

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Chahal

Batting till number 8. 6 bowling options without counting Raina. Shankar, Pandya, Jadeja, Raina can share 20-25 overs between them easily

prefer kuldeep over chahal .. if we are playing in non-spin firnedly wickets thne we need to drop jaddu or kudeep 

On 3/8/2018 at 12:47 AM, vishalvirsingh said:

then vijay shankar should not be considered as some one as a replacement to Hardik...i mean he is no competition as a bowler to hardik at least. he is more of a Kedar type of bowler ..just medium pace, may be I a jumping the gun and speaking too early but lets find it out in coming matches. he can be played as a 6th bowler and not as a 5th bowler.

he got a wicket of a 143K ball and created some chances in one match, sundar and raina messed up two easy catches and one he himself messed up after running quite a bit.

i would like to watch him for one or two matches, it seems he has the capability to bowl fast ( not like BINNY or rishi dhawan who are Sure Shot trundlers) and can IMprove and seems to have a GOOD BOUNCER, kinda accurate and one more point i have noticed is he tried to bowl at Good length or short of good length which is tuf length to BAT against  as its nor full and nor Short and from that length he some times gets the ball to bounce UP, some thing which some of the unplayable ISHANT balls come up once in a blue moon. if he can bowl at 143K once in an over and then maintain 133 to 140 K with good length and on and around off stump, he can create a name for himself.

he was huffing and puffing in a 4 over t20 and his Speed variations were also quite a bit , if they were intentional then its OK but if he is one who cannot sustain Pace then it is a BIG issue.

Shammi ,bumrah and Umesh have the capability to Sustain Pace and bowl 5 to 7 over fast spells between 135 to 147K and thats why they are international bowlers, even hardik has shown some capability to bowl quick though not consistently.

bhuvi does maintain line n length but he also drops his pace quite a bit.

BIg hate that I have with UNADKAT is that he should bowl 4 balls around 138 to 141K and bowl 2 Slow balls at what ever pace he feels like but what he does is he bowls one ball between 136 to 141K and rest 5 are slow balls , he is already becoming an open book and thats why he is getting hit badly...

i want him to bowl 2 Slow Balls and 4 fast medium balls between 137 to 141 which he is capable of doing.