Better captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

Better captain (All formats)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better India captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU1_0zQly74

0:20 "One ridiculous answer which I just cannot fathom, is that when Dhoni is asked what should happen, he says we should take more wickets and score more runs, he repeated that ad nauseam in that press conference today"

00:58 "You don't need to be in one of these press conferences, just rewind the tape you've heard at Lords and just say its from Melbourne, he just keeps on saying we need to score more runs and take more wickets"

1:46 "pretty ridiculous captaincy in terms of setting defensive fields"

2:00 "does he deserve a place in the side based in the first place that he'll continue to captain that side"

2:20 "we don't want to talk about it, Atul Wassan will jump out of the tv screen, a lot of people will call out for blue murder, look at the positives, why is the media so negative, they'll still try to sugar coat this"

5:45 "my question is to Dhoni's biggest defender Atul Wassan...MS Dhoni has done great in LO cricket but I'm sorry he's thoroughly mediocre when it comes to test cricket, especially outside the sub content, he's out of sorts, he's out of his depth, when he needs to think out of the box he's not captain cool"

7:25 "why are you avoiding making a direct comment on the captain's mediocre performance in tests"

7:55 "is he now test captain for life? 4-0 England, 2-0 Australia, are you saying any commentary on him is scathing criticism"

9:10 "his strategic assessment of a situation requires some tuning up" Arun Lal

40 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

:ahhhhh: Times now masala with arnab. now this Pakistani pro atul ll talk about captaincy. Played 4 tests at 23 and 9 odis at 8.25 average

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/videos/it-is-a-wonderful-symbolic-gesture-by-all-players-to-play-in-pakistan-atul-wassan-467639

Analysts:adore:

You're completely losing the plot here.

If you actually watch the video, Atul Wassan is the biggest pro Dhoni propagandist out there. That quote you read was actually mocking Atul for his biased support of Dhoni. Now you're claiming I tried to used Atul's view in support of my own. No wonder you have such a hard time getting your facts straight 

7 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

You're completely losing the plot here.

If you actually watch the video, Atul Wassan is the biggest pro Dhoni propagandist out there. That quote you read was actually mocking Atul for his biased support of Dhoni. Now you're claiming I tried to used Atul's view in support of my own. No wonder you have such a hard time getting your facts straight 

I don't think you got my point here.. I read the comments you posted here. I don't care what that masala channel does for TRP.. I was just using him as an example of so called pundits/analysts that can be pro/anti Dhoni.. Atul was somewhat recognizable compared to some unknown dude sitting there.

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

my question is to Dhoni's biggest defender Atul Wassan...

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

we don't want to talk about it, Atul Wassan will jump out of the tv screen,

4 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

I don't think you got my point here.. I read the comments you posted here. I don't care what that masala channel does for TRP.. I was just using him as an example of so called pundits/analysts that can be pro/anti Dhoni.. Atul was somewhat recognizable compared to some unknown dude sitting there.

I don't think anybody gets your points anywhere 

17 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I don't think anybody gets your points anywhere 

Me: How was he a bad captain? 

U : We got whitewashed under him in away series in Aus and England

Me:  We were #1 in Tests first time under him for the first time in History

U :  zaheer was the captain of the bowling attack..back in those days .. Dhoni gets no credit for us being #1. Zaheer was the reason

Me : wasn't Zaheer captain of bowling attack  in those Away tours where we got whitewashed? 

U : "Are you older than 13? "

"we ll let voters decide"

"You got very few neurons left"

Me : Congrats.. You won for picking on typos :adore: Great discussion

U :  Analysts such as Atul and some Nobody has this discussion on a masala channel about Dhoni

Me: I don't care what that flop ex- cricketer and few other clowns said on masala channel for TRPs.. 

U :  "Don't think anybody gets your points anywhere" 

Me : :facepalm: 

5 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

So what was he suppose to do? Who was going to bowl?

You remove the only wkt kpr you have from a strategic position and put a part time guy there. That was stupid. Any of the guys could do it and spin bowlers could always bowl more over.

Besides that the entire team under his captaincy played with zero effort. That man was done at that point.

Ganguly, and dhoni don't  even come close, one was a hostile tiger who lead from the front, built a team which was hungry for a win 2011wc winning team almost all groomed by ganguly, ganguly planted seeds and grew up a tree dhoni just came and pluck the fruits off it, ganguly balanced the team and focused on weak link bowling and tried hard to improve it and dhoni destroyed our bowling made it a joke as he was clueless, ganguly was known for his aggressiveness on the field while the other was busy doing this

Bgp0fJMCMAEjMnf_2.jpg

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: what a brooding captain :hysterical::hysterical: 

Edited by speedheat

Dhoni's success in ODIs is mainly because of the strong team he had under him and his cowardly defensive captainship (some say cool) did suit that format. But the likes of Yuvraj, Kohli were the reasons behind his popularity. And his true abilities were showed in Test cricket. His lack of ability to understand the format and his failures there, saw Indian cricket shift towards LOI cricket and with the help of crook Srinivasan. I am glad that we have rid of this village rat from the captainship. He can lunge all he wants as long as he's made insignificant under the captaincy of Kohli and Sharma. 

45 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Ganguly, and dhoni don't  even come close, one was a hostile tiger who lead from the front, built a team which was hungry for a win 2011wc winning team almost all groomed by ganguly, ganguly planted seeds and grew up a tree dhoni just came and pluck the fruits off it, ganguly balanced the team and focused on weak link bowling and tried hard to improve it and dhoni destroyed our bowling made it a joke as he was clueless, ganguly was known for his aggressiveness on the field while the other was busy doing this

Bgp0fJMCMAEjMnf_2.jpg

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: what a brooding captain :hysterical::hysterical: 

:phehe:  u made my day 

Made a post once in this thread, copy pasted here

Better than starting with Vinay Kumar in Perth against Warner....:hatsoff:

Or a certain WK of the number 1 test team bowling in 1st day Lords test, 2011...:hatsoff:

Or limiting Ashwin to 2 overs and giving last over to Kohli in a WT20 SF....:hatsoff:

Or not declaring with a lead of 600 runs in a test match in NZ only to run out of time in the end....:hatsoff:

Or overseeing 2 300s and a 294 in a space of 3 years considering India had conceded only 2 300s in the 75+ years prior to that....:hatsoff:

Or sending UV before red hot Raina in WT20 finals in 2014...:hatsoff:

Or scolding and abusing Sreesanth because he was too aggressive when we were on the cusp of our 1st test series victory in RSA...:hatsoff:

Or making public the need for raging turners against England in 2012 after we had smashed Poms on a traditional deck in Ahmedabad....:hatsoff:

Or sidelining all quicks and promoting trundlers like Unadkat, Vinay Kumar, Dinda in our XI....:hatsoff:

List can go on and on and on and on..... Taras khaa raha hoon tum logon pe:goodnight:

Dhoni is an abomination of a captain. It is an insult to compare this simpleton with a bona fide legend like Dada. In a fair world this brainless shameless guy wouldn't be allowed to lead a bunch of schoolkids, only in a country where a Pappu can realistically hope to become a PM do you see this sort of blind hero worshipping, Dhoni chamchas are indeed a brainless spineless pitiable lot.

Team Dada all the way, F U Dhoni, F U Dhoni chamchabots.  

Edited by Gollum

Ganguly in tests and dhoni in odis.

but ganguly too had success in odis , we were a force under him in icc tournament ,reached 3 consecutive finals of major icc events but never had the trophy to show , dhoni took it to a level above by winning trophies,same way dhoni had success in tests as well ,we reached #1 under him.

But the biggest drawback of dhoni were the overseas tests, by God I haven't seen a more clueless captain than him in most of those overseas trip and he didn't even like the format tbh

14 minutes ago, adi B said:

Ganguly in tests and dhoni in odis.

but ganguly too had success in odis , we were a force under him in icc tournament ,reached 3 consecutive finals of major icc events but never had the trophy to show , dhoni took it to a level above by winning trophies,same way dhoni had success in tests as well ,we reached #1 under him.

But the biggest drawback of dhoni were the overseas tests, by God I haven't seen a more clueless captain than him in most of those overseas trip and he didn't even like the format tbh

Exactly, Ganguly was a great captain in both formats, ganguly owns dhoni easily in overall comparison