Whether Virat Kohli overtook Sachin as the test batsmen ??

velu

In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not there yet

16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

And @MechEng 1998 Warne wasn't in God Mode. He had an injured shoulder and also stomach infection at various points in that series. That Aussie team had a mediocre bowling line up and even the aura wasn't there. Dravid in 2003-04 was up against a team that scared everybody, his performance in Adelaide trumps everything SRT ever did in his test career.

Didn't know about that but Warne was turning it miles in the videos. 2003-04 series although a great one for India batters, it had the flattest pitches. Australian batting was great but their bowling didn't look threatening at all.

Kohli, when he walked in to bat, at Trent Bridge on sunday, 19th August, commentator seemed surprised to hear "boos" and clarified that boos was from "Indian Supporters".

Now thats where Kohli stands at the peak of his career. 

Edited by mishra
6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Kohli is already a great but i dont think he can ever match SRT's batsmanship even if he surpasses him in stats.

Yes, he will most likely break all the records and will turn out to be more successful and a better player under pressure, with better temperament, but will perhaps not be considered ever as the most complete batsman like Tendulkar was.

Tendulkar will remain the most complete batsman whom you would enjoy watching more perhaps if you are just looking from the point of view of enjoying the batting.

But the elegance of Kohli, albeit not the same as Tendulkar, is still enough to keep one happy with the kind of record he is carrying all of a sudden all over the world.

6 hours ago, mishra said:

Kohli, when he walked in to bat, at Trent Bridge on sunday, 19th August, commentator seemed surprised to hear "boos" and clarified that boos was from "Indian Supporters".

that comparison is trivial.  Tendulkar was just something else for India and no could replace him.

6 hours ago, mishra said:

Just proves that chewtiyas come in all colors!

16 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Kohli is already a great but i dont think he can ever match SRT's batsmanship even if he surpasses him in stats.

In terms of pure batsmanship in test matches, I have never seen any batsman from any country surpass Tendulkar in the last 35 years.

Tendulkar had such perfect balance and stance ...  equally strong on the off-side and leg side , on the front foot and back foot ... had all the shots in the book ...  was equally good against raw pace and bounce, swing and seam, good quality spin ...  could handle and often dominate the top bowlers with aplomb.

His batting was a work of art which brought tremendous results too for 21 years  ( not the last 3 years though )

I doubt we will  get such an artist ever again in the T20 era. 

However, quite a few batsmen have had more impact on the psyche of bowlers and more effect on the outcome of series and matches than Tendulkar has had.  Kohli may be one of them.  

Edited by express bowling
17 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Personally, what I want to see from top Indian batters are  ... scoring regularly in test matches against the toughest sides of their eras in their own dens or in tough conditions. Also ... maintaining a high career average while being attractive stroke players.

Both Tendulkar and Kohli have succeeded in doing this to a large extent.

I hope we get more such batters in the coming days. Rahane has flattered to deceive.

Let me approach this from another direction. Do you think Chris Cairns was just an average allrounder? Do you think Heath Streak, Andy Blignaut etc were average allroudners/ players? The reason these guys dont have such gigantic figures and stats is because they played for poor teams. And mind you, by today's standards, these players would be legends. 

Tendulkar, despite playing for a team which was borderline minnow, made a mark and made the opposition fear him. I do believe that he was a different player till 92-93'ish. Very aggressive. And he had no support from his team mates. 

Kohli has never had this kind of team with him. He has played in a team which already established itself. 

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

No ... Kohli is more like Sampras, with more aggressive strokes and power than Djokovic.

Kohli is an all conditions player like Nole whilst Sampras was a fast conditions bully. Also Kohli has followed Nole's work ethics and fitness mantra. Kohli isn't power, he is a timer...Kohli is aggressive but just like Nole it is controlled aggression with no unnecessary risks, eg doesn't go aerial even after becoming well set. Just like Nole is a wonderful points constructor, Kohli paces his innings beautifully and plays high % cricket. I'd say Ponting is closer to Sampras if we were to do a cross sports comparison.

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kohli is an all conditions player like Nole whilst Sampras was a fast conditions bully. Also Kohli has followed Nole's work ethics and fitness mantra. Kohli isn't power, he is a timer...Kohli is aggressive but just like Nole it is controlled aggression with no unnecessary risks, eg doesn't go aerial even after becoming well set. Just like Nole is a wonderful points constructor, Kohli paces his innings beautifully and plays high % cricket. I'd say Ponting is closer to Sampras if we were to do a cross sports comparison.

But Kohli's game is not just based on being there like the Djoker.   He dominates the bowlers a lot and there is a lot of power in many of his " ground strokes "  although he rarely goes aerial.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

But Kohli's game is not just based on being there like the Djoker.   He dominates the bowlers a lot and there is a lot of power in many of his " ground strokes "  although he rarely goes aerial.

'Being there like Djoker?'

I think it is a misconception that the Serb is a passive player. Except against Federer, Nole hits more winners against every player on tour (almost always). He isn't as aggressive as Federer/Sampras but is an aggressive baseliner nonetheless. He won't paint the lines out of nowhere but he will move the opponent sideways a lot and hit deeper as the rally progresses before finishing the point. His point construction is a work of art, he makes progress with every single shot. He dominates opponents in a controlled manner just like Kohli. Their playing style is so similar, also their approach to fitness and bloody minded determination.

Kohli has decent power in his groundstrokes but so does Nole. That cannonball of a ROS or BH DTL is power+accuracy+geometry+precision, plain and simple. Both may not be most powerful in their respective sports but their placement and ability to find gaps (angles in tennis) is what sets them apart when compared to the more powerful guys. You may find analogy with Sampras but I think there is more in common with Nole, too many divergences when it comes to Kohli-Sampras comparison.

Edited by Gollum
5 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Let me approach this from another direction. Do you think Chris Cairns was just an average allrounder? Do you think Heath Streak, Andy Blignaut etc were average allroudners/ players? The reason these guys dont have such gigantic figures and stats is because they played for poor teams. And mind you, by today's standards, these players would be legends. 

Tendulkar, despite playing for a team which was borderline minnow, made a mark and made the opposition fear him. I do believe that he was a different player till 92-93'ish. Very aggressive. And he had no support from his team mates. 

Kohli has never had this kind of team with him. He has played in a team which already established itself. 

That is utter nonsense, India was very strong at home even in 1990s. Lara scored 600 plus in three test series loss where his team got swept. Tendulkar played with one of the greatest lineups since 1996.