BCCI needs to reschedule IPL 2019

51 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It's a compromise just for a single year man, as I wrote in OP 2023/2027/2031 WCs won't have this problem because they will be scheduled in Feb-April. By the time England gets the next WC (2035?), IPL will be too big for ICC to repeat such scheduling or may be WC concept may be extinct. 

And no 10 days (btw we won't even get that many days, just 3-4) is not plenty of time to recover when you have been grinding it out for 10 months straight. Even tennis players who are the epitome of fitness have a long enough off season after the YEC. NBA players don't play whole year either, before FIFA WC all players will get min 3 weeks to rest/prepare.

47 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Khota How is rescheduling it for a single year going to weaken it? Sep-Oct is prime cricket season in India and the climate is perfect. Besides whole tournament can be held in India, we have general elections next year (April-May) and probably will have to take IPL overseas in the current arrangement.

Indian cricket should revolve around IPL. India is subsidizing world cricket to the tune of billions of dollars and that needs to end. IPL is a step in the right direction. After a decade people have their lives and schedules arranged around IPl and there is no need to change.

I am only concerned about the workload of pace bowlers and no one else. That really wears down the body. IPL is max 4 overs and they will be fine too. 

Think of IPL as a warm up and practise for the real thing.

My only suggestion is that the team should be announced after IPl and Kohli should not be the captain.

Let us not compare the work load of NBA player to cricket players. They are at a different level. I dont think any cricket player is athletic enought to perform a alley hoop.

47 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kaise din aa gaye hai, Indian cricket fans putting a domestic T20 league over their country's CWC fortunes :facepalm:

There is a reason why India is on the top of food chain in world cricket. It is called IPL.

30 minutes ago, Gollum said:

But how is that even possible? Every 2-3 years they become part of a new franchise and most players play for outfits far away from their hometowns, eg Rahul/Ashwin in Punjab, Kohli in Bengaluru, Dhawan in Hyderabad etc...... how can one inculcate loyalty? There was no Tamil player in the CSK winning team, no Bengali in KKR, no Telugu in SRH......how on Earth can IPL be above international cricket for the players and fans?

That is the whole idea behind IPL. Thanks to Lalit Modi who thought of it. People need to have loyalty to their franchise but players can transfer around. These are exciting times and all this is great.

I have zero problem with a player from south leading Delhi or vice versa. Only thing that matters should be performance. This is closest you can come to perform or perish.

37 minutes ago, Lala said:

IPL is the most important tournament for everybody in the world. So let's continue it as it is and postpone the useless world cup to another month or more. :cantstop:

Finally I can agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

It will definitely be rescheduled or cut short,national teams will want their players prepping for WC much earlier .

England players won’t be participating as they have to be in England on May 1st to prepare for the marquee event WC 2019.

3 hours ago, asterix said:

Players themselves take IPL seriously. Few of them are actually very emotional about their franchise and their own IPL popularity...

They won’t any way want to qualify in the WC next round... so will make some excuse and then relax...

A former Indian captain plays with more intent to win matches and proactive playing for a franchise than for country he doesn’t even give up on t20is.

2 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

IPL cant be held in India due to general elections next year. How about hosting it in UK? All players will get enough experience of UK before WC. It will be a win-win situation for all, well except for Pak who wont win the event anyway :giggle:

Luckily for Pak they have a 5 match ODI series there against the Poms just before the World Cup, ideal preparation. 

But I like your idea of moving the IPL to UK, but many of the matches might be affected by inclement weather in April-May, besides it is peak county season. I guess SA will be a better venue for the IPL than the dull pitches of UAE. 

Edited by Gollum
2 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

IPL cant be held in India due to general elections next year. How about hosting it in UK? All players will get enough experience of UK before WC. It will be a win-win situation for all, well except for Pak who wont win the event anyway :giggle:

I like the idea.

Call me an alarmist but I fear Kohli will miss the WC because of some rotten injury. Recent events have convinced me that his workload is too much and being captain in all 3 formats he can't skip matches just like that. I don't see how a 3 day gap between IPL and WC can be overcome by anyone carrying an injury/niggle, no matter how quick their body heals. SA will miss ABDV big time, Aus are uncertain because of the bans on Smith/Warner, Poms are mental midgets.....NZ and Pak start as early favorites. 

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

It's a compromise just for a single year man, as I wrote in OP 2023/2027/2031 WCs won't have this problem because they will be scheduled in Feb-April. By the time England gets the next WC (2035?), IPL will be too big for ICC to repeat such scheduling or may be WC concept may be extinct. 

And no 10 days (btw we won't even get that many days, just 3-4) is not plenty of time to recover when you have been grinding it out for 10 months straight. Even tennis players who are the epitome of fitness have a long enough off season after the YEC. NBA players don't play whole year either, before FIFA WC all players will get min 3 weeks to rest/prepare.

NBA season starts in Oct and is still going on. In regular season they play around 82 games. Throw in the QF, SF, Finals and Championship you have almost 20 more games.

Imagine all these games being played on hard courts unlike soft outfields for cricket and you can pick injuries easily. 

Offseason is a misnomer only. They heal and are back to practise.

It is the toughest sport on earth and pound for pound they are the best athletes. In comparison cricket players are having walk in the park except for pace bowlers. It is unbelievable how hard NBA players work.