PM Imran Khan performs ground-breaking of Kartarpur Corridor

Asim

On 12/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, mishra said:

Pak President: it was a chess move. Calculated one.

Pak FM: It was googly by Imran to India and Indian foreign office

Pak Railway Minister: it was Gen Bajwas moove which totally outmanoeuvred indian foreign Ministry and destroyed Indian diplomacy

Political analyst: Its a moove by Pakistan with aim to resume Khalistani movement.

Asim bhai: Imran khans grand goodwill gesture must be appreciated by Indian

$20 per person fee to visit a sacred shrine.  Think about an average family that will want to go - parents with kids, probably grand-parents also.  That's a cost of hundred dollars for a family.  And this money will not go to the Temple committee that takes care of the place.  The chor Pakistani government will eat this money.   

I don't mind if Pakistani govt charges a fee for access, I don't even mind if they make profit from this.  That is fine - they would have made plenty of profits if they charged $2 per person.  But the greedy scumbags decided to act like that shady gangster taxi dude who knows he's the only taxi at the train station in the middle of the night.  And demands 10x the cab-fare.  You'd give him 20% extra, 50% extra, even double.  But shameless people always go so far that they piss people off.  After all, what can the Sikhs say - they can't even criticize the Pakistanis too much, because they know that these people prevented Sikhs from accessing Kartarpur for 70 years.  They just have to give in to the monopoly blackmail and pay up.

I think the Chief Minister of Punjab called this fee "Jaziya tax".  He's right.

We have to reject their attempts to divide us on religious lines. What if a few Indian Hindus and Muslims want to go to that shrine? I have no issue with this initiative or even their exorbitant fees but can't succumb to different rules for different Indian citizens. 

@sandeep I don't agree with your emphasis on the fee, neither do most of our Sikh brethren I see on SM. 

If you have time go through this link Kailash Manasarovar Yatra ....Chinese visa fee Rs 2400, hell there is a hefty fee charged by Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam, similarly an equivalent amount for those who use the Sikkim route, our own people !!!!

Compared to this don't you think a Kartarpur visit will be lighter on the wallets for our prospective pilgrims? Understandably a Kailash pilgrimage has many other challenges, hence escalation in prices but if Pak visit is going to be just 20$ (no other extra charges for XYZ reasons) should be manageable, no? Anyway a committee of pilgrims and takhts should be formed and they should take the decision (whether to pursue the negotiation or not) on a democratic basis. They have waited for generations for this opportunity, will look petty if some of us harp on about factors which they might not give much importance to. 

I am sure we can make our displeasure known to Pak state in other ways, like for instance charging them more for their citizens' visits to our dargahs, medical treatment, pharma sales etc. Either that will force them to lower their demands or we can subsidize using the excess money collected from pockets of their own citizens. I am no economics major nor do I keep tabs on ins and outs of pilgrimage tours, so do correct me if I am missing something here. 

Edited by Gollum

32 minutes ago, Gollum said:

f you have time go through this link Kailash Manasarovar Yatra ....Chinese visa fee Rs 2400, hell there is a hefty fee charged by Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam, similarly an equivalent amount for those who use the Sikkim route, our own people !!!!

Compared to this don't you think a Kartarpur visit will be lighter on the wallets for our prospective pilgrims?

Visa fee is not the same as accessing a corridor for a one-day visit, restricted to one temple complex 2 miles away from the border.  I would be fine with a $20 $25 fee for a pilgrim visa that allows Sikh pilgrims to visit Nankana Sahib and a few other sikh sacred sites.  

This is a visa-free 2 mile direct bus trip to one single temple.  $20 per person is extremely unreasonable.  Like I explained it works out to around $100 for an average family.  

Second, the fee is not being charged by the temple committee, who would use the pilgrims money for the religious site.  This is going to the Pakistani government.  Why should they charge such a high fee?  $2 per person would still make a ton of profit for them.  Building a 2 mile road, provding security has some cost, but a 2$ fee would still generate 3 to 5 million dollars, every YEAR.  That would be more than enough to cover costs and make the local government budgets overflow in perpetuity.  Charging 10 times that, is thievery.  

On 12/4/2018 at 9:50 AM, Singh bling said:

First please read about corridor. Its not like Pakistan has made corridor for all historical Gurdwaras. The most important Gurdwara in Pakistan is still Nankana Sahib , birth place of Guru nanak dev ji but still Sikhs have to take visa for going to that. The Kartarpur sahib gurdwara is death place of Guru Nanak Dev ji. During partition Guru Nanak's Death place and the place where he spent few years of his life was divided by Radcliffe line. The place where Guru Nanak stayed fell in India while the place where he died fell in Pakistan .The Gurdwara Dera Baba Nanak is in india while Kartarpur sahib which is just 3 km away from that is in Pakistan. Sikhs upto now just used to do darshan from binocular from Dera baba Nanak. A corridor was proposed to connect both Gurdwara during Vajpayee time.

Ideally the Kartarpur sahib should have been in india if Congress during partition was interested in caring of sentiments of sikhs. Such important place should had never gone to Pakistan in first place.

Are you sikh?

I generally agree with your points

On 11/29/2018 at 11:01 PM, sandeep said:

"Dehli" is not confused.  It has plenty of bitter experience of puppet powerless Pakistani politicians and their pitiful promises that aren't worth even a penny.  Vajpayee went to Lahore in search of peace, got Kargil.  Manmohan Singh made massive concessions in backchannel negotiations, got 26/11.   

But, you know, stick to the propaganda that you have been fed - "India bad.  India no want peace.  Only Pakistan want peace."  Such BS. 

You should not be wasting e-ink on someone who cannot even spell Delhi.

8 hours ago, Number said:

Absolute stupidity of Brits to leave Kartarpur Sahib into Pakistan specially when its just 3.5 KMs from Border.

Even in 1971 we could have swapped this for any other area.

Whatever Indian forces won or gained on the battlefield in 1965 & 1971 it was lost on the negotiating table in Tashkent & Shimla. They swapped Hussainiwala in 1961 for a dozen villages but why they left out Kartarpur which is so close to the border simply baffles me.