Dhoni scored 141 runs in his first Aus tour, can Pant score more?

Keeper batsmen this year

Dickwella - 20 innings, 496 runs@28

Bairstow - 16 innings, 478 runs@30

Dowrish - 17 innings, 474 runs@36

Pant  - 12 innings, 465 runs@39

Paine - 17 innings, 445 runs@37

De Kock - 17 innings, 341 runs@20

Sarfaraz - 13 innings, 337 runs@28

Watling - 10 innings, 309 runs@34

Mushfiqur - 7 innings, 307 runs@52

Foakes - 6 innings, 277 runs@69

Despite all his leg side hoicks and brainfades, Pant, in his first year as an international test cricketer, is still doing alright. Only Mushfiqur and Foakes have a better average. Good think he hasnlt looked clueless against the short or moving deliveries as people expected him to. He's getting out attacking the spinner, will not be long before those mishits start getting proper connections and 30s become the 50s-60s and eventually 100s.

BTW as a batsman, Pant's 465 runs this year are already the 11th highest in a calendar year by an Indian wicket keeper. Another 60 runs in the MCG test will push him to number 5. ( Dhoni with 

As a keeper, his 39 dismissals this year are already the 4th best ever by an Indian keeper in a calendar year.

While it's good to have high expectations from our young keeper batsmen, compared to all our keepers, he's doing absolutely fine. Already has scored more runs and effected more dismissals than Saha ever did so far.

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

More so calling Pujara a hack. I think he restrained himself for about a week after his hundred in the 1st Test :phehe:

I was  using that term from a broader scheme of things.  I mean Pujara has done ok till now in this series  . But  that doesn't mean baring Kohli all have been adequate batsmen from a team point of view. That being the case, to blame that 20 year old Pant  felt strange to me. After all he could score 66 from 2 inns  in one of the most difficult of alien condition pitches, that too discarding a few runs.

Edited by rtmohanlal
6 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

I was  using that term from a broader scheme of things.  I mean Pujara has done ok till now in this series  . But  that doesn't mean baring Kohli all have been adequate batsmen from a team point of view. That being the case, to blame that 20 year old Pant  felt strange to me. After all he could score 66 from 2 inns  in one of the most difficult of alien condition pitches, that too discarding a few runs.

Fair enough, man.

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

when did Kohli, Rohit played test matches at 20?

I am talking overall. Rohit in the CB series and Kohli when he debuted showed a lot of maturity and they played according to situation. They displayed   great acumen.  

Pant was throwing the bat around in t20 aimlessly, when that was pointed out everyone said c’mon it is just T20 as if the concept of playing according to situation doesn’t exist in cricket. Now he is playing the same way in Tests. I haven’t  seen so far any signs of  him reading the game well. Being 20 is not a good enough excuse.

5 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Despite all his leg side hoicks and brainfades, Pant, in his first year as an international test cricketer, is still doing alright. Only Mushfiqur and Foakes have a better average. Good think he hasnlt looked clueless against the short or moving deliveries as people expected him to. He's getting out attacking the spinner, will not be long before those mishits start getting proper connections and 30s become the 50s-60s and eventually 100s.

Now that’s an observation I can get on board with. That is what is even more frustrating. Lack of form or just not being good enough can be excused but throwing away the game and not playing according to situation is unacceptable.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:09 PM, ShoonyaSifar said:

Keeper batsmen this year

Dickwella - 20 innings, 496 runs@28

Bairstow - 16 innings, 478 runs@30

Dowrish - 17 innings, 474 runs@36

Pant  - 12 innings, 465 runs@39

Paine - 17 innings, 445 runs@37

De Kock - 17 innings, 341 runs@20

Sarfaraz - 13 innings, 337 runs@28

Watling - 10 innings, 309 runs@34

Mushfiqur - 7 innings, 307 runs@52

Foakes - 6 innings, 277 runs@69

this is an insightful data. For a 20 year rookie aggressive left hander playing only in  his first year, and having  played the vast majority of his inns in  generally bowling friendly alien conditions and also playing a majority of catch up inns(2nd or 4rth team inns) to outshine

a lot of others in the list is a great result.I think he is here to stay.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:20 AM, rkt.india said:

He is still better than what Dhoni was in 2005. You don't get readymade great keepers.

ben foakes was ready enough when he entered the eng squad. pant is not a natural at keeping, but he is v. young (by keeping standards) and will hopefully improve by the time he is foakes' age.

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

ben foakes was ready enough when he entered the eng squad. pant is not a natural at keeping, but he is v. young (by keeping standards) and will hopefully improve by the time he is foakes' age.

Ben foakes is 25 years old and is playing first class cricket since 2011. He has a lot FC cricket under his belt that helped him being ready. No 20-year-old will be a great wicket keeper.

Edited by rkt.india
31 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Ben foakes is 25 years old and is playing first class cricket since 2011. He has a lot FC cricket under his belt that helped him being ready. No 20-year-old will be a great wicket keeper.

Obivously experience counts for a lot, but so does talent. Some players are natural keepers. I remember James Foster making his debut around 21, and he was a much better keeper than Pant is at the same age. I am not convinced that experience is the predominant factor, although it's clearly just my opinion.