Team management makes these decisions, we cannot do anything about it - Shami

CSK Fan

The difference between the 2 teams wasnt the absence of spinners. It was the openers. If the openers had given us a stand of even 50 in both the innings, we would have won the match. Its not Umesh who is responsible for the loss. Its Rahul and Vijay. 

Dont be fooling yourself, when your openers cant bat, no amount of spinner or fast bowlers would help.

1)   I would have picked Jadeja if Ashwin was injured.

2)  Even if the spinner did not pick wickets ... the fact that he was there to bowl lots of overs would have ensured that the 3 fast bowlers bowled with full intensity,  like they did in Adelaide.

In this test,  Ishant and Umesh did not bowl with intensity in both innings and Shami did not bowl with intensity in the first innings ... probably because they thought that they have to each bowl 20 overs or more  per day and Vihari was good for very few overs.

This could have been avoided if a proper spinner was there.

3)  If a 4th pacer had to be picked ... Bhuvi is a no brainer for me.  You want your 4th pacer to contain runs and hold up one end and score a few extra runs.

Bhuvi isn't an ideal top 3 pacer in Australia, where the ball does not move much.  But he is an ideal 4th pacer and No.8 batsman.

9 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

he also said he would have considered Ashwin if he was fit.

Virat Kohli: Bhuvi hasn't played a lot of test cricket recently, Umesh picked 10 wickets in his last match and was in good rhythm so we picked him. We could have considered Ashwin if he was fully fit. #INDvAUS

Listen to the full interview and what he says a couple of lines later.

He clearly says that they had decided to play 4 pacers looking at the pitch.

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

1)   I would have picked Jadeja if Ashwin was injured.

2)  Even if the spinner did not pick wickets ... the fact that he was there to bowl lots of overs would have ensured that the 3 fast bowlers bowled with full intensity,  like they did in Adelaide.

In this test,  Ishant and Umesh did not bowl with intensity in both innings and Shami did not bowl with intensity in the first innings ... probably because they thought that they have to each bowl 20 overs or more  per day and Vihari was good for very few overs.

This could have been avoided if a proper spinner was there.

3)  If a 4th pacer had to be picked ... Bhuvi is a no brainer for me.  You want your 4th pacer to contain runs and hold up one end and score a few extra runs.

Bhuvi isn't an ideal top 3 pacer in Australia, where the ball does not move much.  But he is an ideal 4th pacer and No.8 batsman.

I thought there was enough movement in the pitch for Bhuvi to be effective. Bumrah and Ishant moved balls both ways regularly. So did Starc and Handscombe. That Rahul wicket had movement in air

Edited by CSK Fan
38 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Not a speed gun fanatic. Pollock was a trundler and so was my all time favorite Glen McGrath. :phehe: My reason for not liking Bhuvi is not speed but it's quite clear: he is not good enough for most conditions except swing.

He averages below 27 in every single country he has played including India, except one Aus match when he was injured. He averages 21 in 2017 and 20 in 2018. He took wickets in SA with bounce and seam movement. But he is not good enough OVER Yadav? 

Edited by CSK Fan
3 minutes ago, CSK Fan said:

He averages below 27 in every single country he has played except one Aus match when he was injured. He averages 21 in 2017 and 20 in 2018. He took wickets in SA with bounce and seam movement. But he is not good enough OVER Yadav? 

Save your time. Before Bumrah came, there was hardly a line and length bowler. No matter the pitch, the corridor that Bhuvi bowls will probe the batsmen. If they think Yadav is better than him, they're kidding themselves. On the other hand Bhuvi might have had fitness issues. They(management) probably aggravated his injury which they're refusing to accept.

Edited by The Dark Horse
1 hour ago, sensible-indian said:

Problem is you have made up your mind.

Ishant sucks.

Ashwin sucks.

Bhuvi sucks.

And no matter how they perform in recent times, you are sticking to your views.

Ishant and Ashwin were a huge factor in our Adelaide win. Doesn't matter if they didn't give the killer blow but they played great support roles.

Same way Bhuvi here would have done well. This ain't a patta and Bhuvi knows how to use a pitch which seams around.

I have praised Ishant a lot recently when he has done good. Like this match I didn't say much about him. Since he was overall good.Though if I have to nitpick he again was ordinary in 2nd innings. In 2nd match at least to me he looked below par hence criticised him. Again in 1st match I have praised him. I just don't go by wickets column. But in bhuvi and Ishants case even those are scarce throughout their career. If anything I go by as I see rather than being a fanboy or hater. When Lyon out bowls Ashwin I will obviously be disappointed and angry on Ashwin. Ashwin sucks in SENA. Bhuvi sucks everywhere except England and IPL. Also in tests there is fitness issue regarding him. I doubt bhuvi can continue with same intensity throughout the series without being tired and start trundling. And if bhuvi trundles he is done and dusted since he cannot get the bounce required to survive while trundling and swing is not much on offer all the time in Australia.

Edited by Pollack
22 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I have praised Ishant a lot recently when he has done good. Like this match I didn't say much about him. Since he was overall good.Though if I have to nitpick he again was ordinary in 2nd innings. In 2nd match at least to me he looked below par hence criticised him. Again in 1st match I have praised him. I just don't go by wickets column. But in bhuvi and Ishants case even those are scarce throughout their career. If anything I go by as I see rather than being a fanboy or hater. When Lyon out bowls Ashwin I will obviously be disappointed and angry on Ashwin. Ashwin sucks in SENA. Bhuvi sucks everywhere except England and IPL. Also in tests there is fitness issue regarding him. I doubt bhuvi can continue with same intensity throughout the series without being tired and start trundling. And if bhuvi trundles he is done and dusted since he cannot get the bounce required to survive while trundling and swing is not much on offer all the time in Australia.

Its not like they are beyond criticism but Bhuvi doesn't suck everywhere except England. 

Check out his numbers. 

He would hav done well in Perth. 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Listen to the full interview and what he says a couple of lines later.

He clearly says that they had decided to play 4 pacers looking at the pitch.

that was only because Ashwin was injured.  They did not want to play Jadeja or Kuldeep but if Ashwin was fit, then situation would have been different as Ashwin had 6 wickets in the last game.

3 hours ago, Pollack said:

Bhuvi would have been worse in bowling and only a little upgrade in batting. Makes no difference actually. Spinner should have been replaced by spinner: Jadeja or Kuldeep.

Bhuvi would have been much better. He would have been ideal with the new ball.