Dhoni at #4

sergio04

After watching  this odi series, two things stand out

1. Dhoni's inability to rotate strike as his dot ball consumption is just too high

2. Leaving everything for the final 2-3 overs and hoping that some big shots will come off the bat.

This is a very dangerous strategy and will produce highly inconsistent results in pressure games of the world cup. We need an accumulator at no 4 position with a consistent strike rate of 80 when he is accumulating. Dhoni accumulates at a strike rate of 60 for the first 80 balls and then hopes to increase the strike rate in the final overs.  

Today a better accumulator would have finished the game for India in the 47th over.

Edited by bendit100
11 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

one  thing for sure .... if Dhoni is in the eleven, 4rth is his best spot.Can't expect  him emerging victorious from a '15 over 135 to get' situation as he used to do in the past

Laloo is troll voting every post with Dhoni's name appearing in it. Dont mind, he is not even reading the posts :hysterical:

1 hour ago, sergio04 said:

india is good without them.

they will effect balance of current team.

You guys are blinded.The fact that we took a 230 total to the last over is shambolic.The middle order of rayudu,dhoni,kartik will be total disaster.Let not one match fool you.

We need pant because - (i'm not saying play him as first choice,but must keep him in side)

1.Need a left hander in middle order

2.Need an accelarator in middle order who can capitalize on good starts or chase big totals on english pattas.

Need gill because -

1.He's special.You take a special player to the wc ,simple.

2.Rayudu is a total dud.

3.You are making a judgement on gill without even playing him once.Give him a chance in NZ and home series vs aus.

Team should be -

rohit

dhawan

kohli

gill

dhoni

kedar

pandya

bhuvi

kuldeep

chahal

bumrah

pant

shami

jadeja

rahul/mayank/karthik

4 hours ago, bendit100 said:

After watching  this odi series, two things stand out

1. Dhoni's inability to rotate strike as his dot ball consumption is just too high

2. Leaving everything for the final 2-3 overs and hoping that some big shots will come off the bat.

This is a very dangerous strategy and will produce highly inconsistent results in pressure games of the world cup. We need an accumulator at no 4 position with a consistent strike rate of 80 when he is accumulating. Dhoni accumulates at a strike rate of 60 for the first 80 balls and then hopes to increase the strike rate in the final overs.  

Today a better accumulator would have finished the game for India in the 47th over.

Dhoni cannot be counted on to carry the innings momentum, he can't do it in low scoring games, forget high scoring ones.  But he can be counted on to stay calm and play a supporting role, hit opportunistic boundaries if he gets bowlers and deliveries that are in his hitting zone.  

If the rest of our batting line-up is doing well, then current version of Dhoni is fine.  Folks have to stop expecting him to be 'the man' with the bat.  He can't be Amitabh anymore, on his best day, he can be a good Shashi Kapoor. :winky:

A bigger concern for me, that I didn't expect, was his fitness.  It was obvious that batting through in 4o+ degree heat in the previous game took a lot out of him.  He was so stiff behind the stumps, dropped so many balls, it was Parthiv-esque. Even the stumping was just barely in time, he was moving super slow compared to his standards.  This happens as you get older, muscles and body need more recovery time when stressed.  The WC is 9 games in the 1st round plus knock-outs.  That's a lot of games.  I think Karthik is a must in the squad and team at this point, because he may have to step in any time. Best to keep him in the team so that he has plenty of chances to bat at the international level.  

As i keep saying without others that bat around him scoring at higher rate he is going to be a risk in any position. Kohli, Karthik, Jadhav bailed him out. There are scenarios where batsmen at other end who is new to create may not get going right away. This guy even after facing 100 balls was tuk tuking against zampa. He almost ran Kohl out ran himself out without strike rotation.

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

As i keep saying without others that bat around him scoring at higher rate he is going to be a risk in any position. Kohli, Karthik, Jadhav bailed him out. There are scenarios where batsmen at other end who is new to create may not get going right away. This guy even after facing 100 balls was tuk tuking against zampa. He almost ran Kohl out ran himself out without strike rotation.

But its not the worst performance as long as the rest of the batsmen can bat well, as long as he's doing a competent job as 'keeper.  I keep saying it over and over, lower your expectations from Dhoni the batsman.  

His keeping struggles and fitness in this game does raise concern for the WC however.