Just now, carnish said:

Sadagoppan Ramesh

Sridharan Sriram

Venugopal Rao

Samir Dighe (WK)

MSK Prasad (WK)

Devang Gandhi

Jacob Martin

And this is only from my childhood memories.. A lot of shitty batters have been given the India cap to even consider Rayadu's name.. he is 3000 crore times better than the above names

Harsh on Ramesh . He was the top scorer in 1999 IND-PAK test  series

24 minutes ago, carnish said:

Sadagoppan Ramesh

Did you follow the legendary 1999 Indo-Pak tests? Ramesh was tremendous against a fearsome attack (Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Saqlain, Mushtaq Ahmed, Azhar Mahmood, Afridi), and I mean simply outstanding. In that series he made Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, VVS, Azhar look second class. The Delhi win (Kumble 10fer) was mainly because of his heroics in a low scoring encounter....we didn't need Kumble or Srinath to defend 419 on that crumbling pitch. People remember Kumble's 10/74 but Ramesh's twin knocks are sadly forgotten.

And them some crucial runs in the 2001 Australia series and a couple of tests in Sri Lanka against Vaas/Murali. IMO he is the biggest 'what if' case...should have been a regular opener till 2005-06 (before emergence of Gambhir) but was treated harshly by Dada. Also that lazy elegance was an eye pleaser. An average of 38 for a test opener in 90s isn't bad at all. Others on your list were pathetic but to even suggest that this Biryani eating moron is way better than Ramesh is inexcusable. 

Edited by Gollum
16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Did you follow the legendary 1999 Indo-Pak tests? Ramesh was tremendous against a fearsome attack (Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, Saqlain, Mushtaq Ahmed, Azhar Mahmood, Afridi), and I mean simply outstanding. In that series he made Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, VVS, Azhar look second class. The Delhi win (Kumble 10fer) was mainly because of his heroics in a low scoring encounter....we didn't need Kumble or Srinath to defend 419 on that crumbling pitch. People remember Kumble's 10/74 but Ramesh's twin knocks are sadly forgotten.

And them some crucial runs in the 2001 Australia series and a couple of tests in Sri Lanka against Vaas/Murali. IMO he is the biggest 'what if' case...should have been a regular opener till 2005-06 (before emergence of Gambhir) but was treated harshly by Dada. Also that lazy elegance was an eye pleaser. An average of 38 for a test opener in 90s isn't bad at all. Others on your list were pathetic but to even suggest that this Biryani eating moron is way better than Ramesh is inexcusable. 

That's the point.. the biryani eating moron is also a victim of bad selection.. Rayadu is inherently a test player... He is very consistent and average of near 50 is proof of that.. it is the strike rate that is a problem .. selecting him in ODIs was as pathetic a decision as getting Rohit in tests.. 

And please do not talk about Sadagoppan Ramesh as the best thing after sliced bread.. he did have a few good knocks here and there and so did Aakash Chopra, Deep Das Gupta and Shiv Sundar Das.. but all of them are duds when compared with Rayadu

Chill Maadi folks! I just think they wanted to reconfirm if Rayudu had it in him for number 4. You can test it in the first match of 5 series ODI. Not much risk.experiment success. India won. Rayudu was a Dud. Can be kicked out. Sab kush!

I hope they try out Gill for next two odis instead of Rayudu so that he can be a good backup for number 4 should dhoni flop miserably in world cup.

If series is won , then make sure we test out Vijay Shankar and Gill batting at top. Rest dhawan or Rohit so that these folks can get batting practice.

I think we should go with Gill and Pant as wildcards with our WC squad . No better bets ..

3 hours ago, carnish said:

Flashes of talent deceived everyone and he became part of WC team .. worst selection.. though he did have a very good straight drive

Ramesh lost us a game against zimbabwe. The famous loss which made sure we couldnt qualify for final. 1999 world cup.. immediately after getting 50 he tried to hit out. Gavaskar I clearly remember said What is he doing. He should stay till end and see the game out. And exactly that happened. He stepped out in an ungainly fashion and got out. 

When ganguly came he had two openers.. dour ones. Shivsundar Das and then Aakash Chopra. Das was in the famous eden miracle and chopra blunted the attack against australia overseas. Deep dasgupta played few matches so did Devang Gandhi. Then came sehwag in blomfoentein..

Edited by neel roy